Thread: Bella has chronic colitis.

Post Thanks / Like

Default Bella has chronic colitis.

I had feared this. Since I have had Bella she has had Colitis 4 times (this being the 4th time) last time the vet gave her a longer course of antibiotics and again, when the antibiotics wore off she has a soft stool, then runny, then full on diarrhea with blood. Does anyone else have a dog with this? Will she grow out of it?
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Oh poor Bella!!
    I have no experience with this but just wanted to send Bella a little hug. I have a friend with this...maybe get on some human boards and see how thy are coping, tips/tricks, what it feels like, etc. Obviously Bella is a dog, but I find human forums helpful for our doggy conditions to understand them more...and maybe get some ideas on how to treat in new ways.

What did your vet say could help? Would a special diet help? I know with my friend, she really struggles but manages well with a strict diet...and just deals really.

Hugs to Bella!

Post Thanks / Like

Okay...I am too into medical research for my own good But I am reading a lot about Coconut shredding and coconut oil helping in chronic colitis. Helping to get it into remission. Try Googling some things around that. I know there are a few on here who give their pups Coconut Oil for other purposes (to help skin, coat, etc), so it would not be a bad thing to try! I am not sure the doses for a dog...might try searching the threads, it is on here somewhere. Would want virgin coconut oil.

Post Thanks / Like

Here is the link on the Coconut oil
    http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...hlight=coconut

Also, maybe worth seeing a Holistic Vet at some point if you want to treat naturally or some alternatives/supplements to vet treatment which can be really useful...just a thought.

Okay...off to bed. Sometimes my brain gets the best of me!

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

If you can see an holistic vet they may help - there are lots of natural remedies.

We have recently had gastric problems with Lauren, following a long period of "gurgly" belly and eating grass. She does better on 3 small meals a day [every 8 hours]

We were also recommended to try Dorwest Tree barks powder and RX Vitamins RX clay [sold exclusively to vets] which cleared up diarrhoea quicker than anything I have had before. Obviously you need a vets involvement too, these were suggest by Richard Allport [well known holistic vet in the UK} Both these products soothe and line the gut.

This is the RX website http://www.rxvitamins.com/vitaminsforpetsv.html it doesn't show an Australian distributor yet but worth contacting them.

Dorwest http://www.dorwest.com/Catalogue/Die...e-Barks-powder

This website is really helpful in explaining colitis http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Con...7&S=1&EVetID=0
    This a great website with photos of diarrhoea - I do hope you're not eating it's very helpful to explain to the vet what you are seeing and also gives an idea as to what is wrong

http://www.provet.co.uk/health/signs/diarrhoea.htm

This was Brooklyn's story which may help http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...d-diarrhea-%28
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much! I have to get ready for work now but I will research this afternoon. I am a medical nerd too Kelsey.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Those sites are great!
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

I am worried Holly may have this too, We left some stool samples with the Vet on Friday - awaiting the results...

I have been giving her a little spoon of Natural Bio Yoghurt everyday too, It replaces the bad bacteria in her tummy with good bacteria It helps that she loves it too

Thanks for all of the attachments I'm going to have a read now.

Post Thanks / Like

Pippin had this when he was a puppy/young dog, we tried everything...to cut a long story short, it turned out he had a severe allergy to poultry of any sort but especially chicken, even flavouring would affect him. Since we cut it all out of his diet and are very careful reading ingredients on everything including medication, he is now fine but we have to be very vigilant. His last bout was when he ate something a bird dropped from the sky while flying over the garden!
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like

Holly, what did the results show?

I was asking about it in the Aussie dog forums and one lady suggested 1/4 bottle of Yakult per day. Since I have been doing this she had not had any runny poops. It has been about a week and a half since the last course of antibiotics...fingers and paws crossed this helps!
    - Bern Williams