• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bad Breath

KingLeo

I know that dogs are not renowned to have the sweetest smelling breat but Leo recently has starting to smell particularly bad. I have chnaged his food recently and cut down on his meat intake thinking it may to do with that, as a friend has informed sometimes it does help. But now I am worried it may be Halitosis or a disease, Im taking him to the vets soon but has anyone else experienced such issues suddenly?

:huh::huh::huh:

yes when myra had a smell i couldnt figure to what was causing it but at her annual check vet informed me her teeth where pretty bad she had to have a full cleaning done and now the awful smell is gone i am going to be extra careful about keeping her teeth as clean as i can from now on

It is also worth checking the folds at the sides of the mouth. They can get infected and the smell can be terrible.

It is also worth checking the folds at the sides of the mouth. They can get infected and the smell can be terrible.

Thank you for the reponses I ahve taken the time to check Leos mouth but I havnt found anything unsual about her teeth of the folds of her mouth. I hope the vet can do further checks and find the problem. Does anyone use diso**** vouchers ever? A friend told me looking on sites for pet care and treatments on sites (in Ireland mind) for it or Blue Cross Service. Its just appliciable for this area. Im just worried as last time the trip to a vet costed me nearly 500 euros. At the moment that just seems too much.

Last edited:
Do you have cats? A litter box? Or do neighbor cats use your back garden for burying their poops? Most dogs absolutely love to eat cat poop, and it will give predictably bad breath for several hours afterwards!

But you will definitely also want the vet to check teeth and gums. It often is not very easy for an owner to see that there is a problem but a vet should be able to identify if there is. Dogs do need regular dental cleanings–this breed in particular, as there is a link between gum disease and that bad bacteria around the teeth, and heart disease.

There are also some illnesses that will have bad breath as a sign, so overall, it's a good idea to visit the vet.

Back