• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Limping

SophieLightyear

Hi,
My Benji baby has suddenly started limping & i was wondering if like us, do dogs paws go numb if they fall asleep on their foot?
He'd had a nice snooze but he doesn't seem to be putting weight on his front right paw.
This has happened a few times after he's woke up and he seems to just walk it off, but this time it seems to have lasted longer and he seems a little restless.

Any help would be welcomed, if it's just telling me i'm overreacting!!

Thanks.

Definitely needs a vet visit. :flwr: Not sure of his age but if I recall he is under 18 months or so? The prime age to have this classic symptom of luxating patella. Could also be something embedded in the foot or between pads etc -- but this isn't normal and wouldn't be from sleeping awkwardly. You'll need to have your vet check it out. My bet would be it is probably a luxating patella. If so, be sure to inform the breeder as this is a genetic issue. Depending on severity it may resolve itself or may require surgery, but it is important to have an assessment asap as it can become very painful.

If he's limping that often, he must be in some pain so a visit to the vet is definately in order. Even though it may be uncommon for young dogs, arthritis could also be a possibility. My Sydney started with arthritis at under 2 yrs. old.

Let us know how he is.

Thanks for the advice. He had surgery for a luxating patella on his back left leg back in August so i'm kinda hoping it's not that, but i'll get him to the vets as soon as possible and let you know the outcome.

Hi, just a little follow up from our visit to the vets.
We have a new vet and she apparently knows alot about SM as she bought it up almost immediately after checking him over as she couldn't find anything wrong with the leg. We have cut his nails and he's on a diet to see if this makes any difference as he is a little bit overweight. If nothing changes in a couple of weeks though, we're going to head back and see what happens next.

Back