• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet passports and rabies vaccines.

sins

As most UK/Irish people know by now,we're supposed to have pet passports for travel between the UK and Ireland.
The dept of Agriculture states that:
From the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] January 2012 the requirement is that all pets travelling from the UK to Ireland should be microchipped and accompanied by a pet passport.
As both Ireland and the UK have had no indigenous rabies for many decades, compliance checks on pets travelling between the two countries will not be applied. Pet owners travelling with their pets should therefore not experience any change on the ground from the 1[SUP]st[/SUP] January

However, some exhibitors who travelled to the Uk from Ireland for POTY and a recent Ch show,have been stopped and asked to produce their pet passports.They were allowed to travel because the scheme was so new.
So I have applied for pet passports for my two.
My vet strongly advised giving the rabies vaccine,although I declined for the moment.
If anyone plans to travel to the UK or Europe later in the year,it's best to have the passport.It doesn't cost anything,just whatever your vet charges for filling out the form and checking the microchip.
Shop around for the rabies vaccine,people are stating that they've been charged anything between €40 and €70.
Sins

This is just so bizarre that they are enforcing rabies between two non-rabies islands. :( Thanks for the heads up. I think the DEFRA site similarly suggested it would not require any change in practice but this evidence says that is not the case!

People are terribly confused Karlin,there's a lot of dog show traffic back and forth between the two countries.
I'm not sure that it's the rabies vaccinations that they're enforcing(I suspect not) but some of my ringcraft gang have been stopped and asked for passports.
Perhaps there's just some over zealous officials inspecting passports or looking out for stolen dogs.
Either way,I took Holly down to the vet and sent off the passport form,just to be on the safe side.
It costs nothing just to get the passport so better safe than sorry.
Sins

That sounds like a good idea -- Chris and I plan for passports already so we can do our usual visits with dogs to the UK.

Back