• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Question

I think you mean a Cavalier King Charles Spaniel, not a 'King Charles'? :) -- the latter is a different breed.

Cavaliers originate as a breed in the UK, but not until the 20th c as it was rebuilt as a breed -- didn't really exist any longer in the 'old look' in great numbers by the 1900s, having been replaced by the flatter-faced King Charles Spaniel. King Charles spaniels (aka Charlies or English Toy spaniels) were the basis of the new breed but other breeds were in the new mix; no one knows exactly what anymore. But before that -- 'spaniel' indicates a Spanish origin and lots of small spaniel types were around Europe. Before that probably developed from some small dogs in Asia.

There was no such thing as clearly defined breeds until the Victorians and cavaliers did not exist until even later -- though can of course trace heritage back longer.

If you google the breed and 'history' you'll get lots of information. :)

http://cavalierkingcharles.com/history.html
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavalier_King_Charles_Spaniel
http://www.thecavalierclub.co.uk/breed/history.html

etc

Karlin mentioned that the breed was 'rebuilt'. What they were trying to do was recreate the type of small spaniel that appears in Vandyke portraits of the Stuart royal family in the 17th century, which existed until the end of the 19th century - hence the nams of the reconstructed breed, to differentiate it from King Charles Spaniels. The Dukes of Marlborough at Blenheim Palace often kept the red and white spaniels of this type, hence the colour Blenheim.

When I used to do Discover Dogs on the Cavalier stand at Crufts, one of the older people doing it with me told an enquirer in all seriousness that Cavaliers originated in France and had been brought over by Charles II to hunt pigeons :sl*p:

If you're seriously interested in the history of the breed, there's a good survey by Denis and Tina Holmes in their book 'The Cavalier King Charles Spaniel: The origin and founding of the breed', available from www.thecavalierclub.co.uk

Kate, Oliver and Aled

... When I used to do Discover Dogs on the Cavalier stand at Crufts, one of the older people doing it with me told an enquirer in all seriousness that Cavaliers originated in France and had been brought over by Charles II to hunt pigeons. ...

Ah yes, I believe that breed's name is pronounced "CAV-AL-YAY" King Charles spaniels.

Where is/what is the natural habitat for a King Charles??? In other words where is it originally from???

I have found that the breed's natural habitat is the bedroom, with the kitchen being second in popularity. The CKCS, like all other breeds, originated from wolf-like canines.

Anyone interested in the origins of dogs (including Cavaliers) would, like me, be fascinated by a book by John Bradshaw called 'In Defence of Dogs: Why dogs need our understanding'. Bradshaw is a biologist studying dogs and writes that latest genetic research shows that dogs are not all that closely related to modern wolves, but that both share a common wolf ancestor a few thousand years ago.

I would slightly modify Rod's view of natural habitat (much as it made me smile!) to say 'The most comfortable place they can find where their humans are - whether it be bed, settee, armchair or even - if nothing else is available - their own bed, just to keep an eye on them in case they head for the kitchen.'

Kate, Oliver the kitchen lover and Aled the bed lover

Back