• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Anyone hear of Torbutol got pain

Karen Rawlins

Went to the vet today, as Churchill has been having pain I thought in his left hip. After xrays, it was discovered he has disc problems. Vet increased prednisone and prescribed torbutol for the bad nights he cannot sleep. He won'tgo up or down stairs and yelps in pain often. Any advice. I haven't posted forever. Hope all cavalier owners are doing well. See Ya
Karen:p

Oliver suffered from disc problems and ended up with decompression surgery when he was 9. He has been great since then. Before that he was like Churchill. He woudn't move. I even had to carry him outside to pee. Prednisone was the only med that seemed to help at all. Toradol helped some - don't know if it's related to torbutol. After several years of relapses, I finally had an MRI which showed how bad his cervical discs were. The x-rays didn't show the extent of the damage. That's when I opted for surgery. He still has some bad discs near his hips, but periodic metacam helps with those flareups.

My only advice is to let Churchill rest as much as he wants. Oliver actually went back into a crate I always keep out. Guess he felt safe in there. I'd also let his vet know if the prednisone isn't working. Maybe he needs to see a neurologist. That's who really helped Oliver. I always thought it was his hips, but the neurologist watched him and said it was his neck that was bothering him. Good luck. It's so hard to see them in pain.

Hi
Two years ago Rosie had a disc problem diag by MRI scan and she wouldn't jump up or go up the stairs but
after a few weeks of crate rest she has been fine since and never needed any medication.

Bev
Thank you so much for your response. Churchill is only 4 1/2 years old. I know these things are expensive, do you have Pet Insurance? Do you think an MRI would be more accurate? I would rather talk with cavalier owners because there are not that many cavaliers in our area. Thanks for your help.

I do not have insurance. Unfortunately, MRIs are a lot more expensive than x-rays, but in Oliver's case, the x-rays did not pinpoint the cause of his pain. The x-rays showed deterioration in the discs near his hips, but nothing related to his cervical discs. When the neurologist saw how bad his cervical discs were on MRI, he immediately suggested surgery for him. Two days after surgery, he was almost like a puppy, he was frisky, he wanted to run and jump - and this was after years of having periods of excruciating pain when he wouldn't walk and yelped at the slightest movement. Since his surgery 2 years ago, he hasn't had one period of exacerbation. One of the best decisions I ever made for him. Wish it hadn't taken me until he was 9 years old to do it though.

I guess my advice would be to see how Churchill recovers from this bout. Is this his first time with disc problems or has he had other experiences with it? Since MRIs are expensive, you might not want to just jump right into one. On the other hand, if he has had problems before this, then I would maybe suggest going to see a neurologist - and take the x-rays with you. I took Oliver to see the neurologist when he was in the middle of a pain episode when no pain meds were working. That was when the neuro could tell by observing him that the problem was more in his neck than his hips and he confirmed it by MRI. Please let me know how Churchill is doing. PM if you'd like.

Churchill has had this problem all of his life, (4 1/2 years) and we just treated him for the pain which usually only took a couple of days and he was back to his puppy years. Latley though, he is struggling. The prednisone, which the vet increased the dose a week ago, seems to be helping, but the vet is going to cut him back as the prednisone is not that good for cavaliers. He was on 1 mg every 3 days and did fine until the first of this year. Anyway, I try to take him walking, just not very far and don't push him. Although he can be quite a coach potato if I let him. He is quit heavy, about 25 lbs which is too much. I am taking steps to cut back his intake but it is hard. I will look into a nuerologist and see if they can help me a little bit more. I really appreciate your thoughts and input. It is so nice to talk with other cavalier owners that I think, know more than vets do. Appreciate your time. Will keep you updated. Thanks again.
Karen:)
I do not have insurance. Unfortunately, MRIs are a lot more expensive than x-rays, but in Oliver's case, the x-rays did not pinpoint the cause of his pain. The x-rays showed deterioration in the discs near his hips, but nothing related to his cervical discs. When the neurologist saw how bad his cervical discs were on MRI, he immediately suggested surgery for him. Two days after surgery, he was almost like a puppy, he was frisky, he wanted to run and jump - and this was after years of having periods of excruciating pain when he wouldn't walk and yelped at the slightest movement. Since his surgery 2 years ago, he hasn't had one period of exacerbation. One of the best decisions I ever made for him. Wish it hadn't taken me until he was 9 years old to do it though.

I guess my advice would be to see how Churchill recovers from this bout. Is this his first time with disc problems or has he had other experiences with it? Since MRIs are expensive, you might not want to just jump right into one. On the other hand, if he has had problems before this, then I would maybe suggest going to see a neurologist - and take the x-rays with you. I took Oliver to see the neurologist when he was in the middle of a pain episode when no pain meds were working. That was when the neuro could tell by observing him that the problem was more in his neck than his hips and he confirmed it by MRI. Please let me know how Churchill is doing. PM if you'd like.

Back