• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Telepathic dogs

Alana

I went to the pet expo here in Sydney last weekend and at a second hand stall I bought a book for 10 cents about the telepathic and psychic abilities of dogs. In the book, one person mentioned that dogs can sense mental illness. Well my mother is in town because my grandmother passed away (my mother has avoided assessment all of her life) but she shows signs of Schizophrenia, Bipolar and Dissociative personality disorder (split personality).

When I take Bella for walks and she spots someone 200m up the road she goes crazy pulling on the lead because she desperately wants to meet them. Then she jumps up and licks them to death. Now when I introduced Bella to my mother yesterday, Bella completely ignored my mother. It was like my mother wasn't there! Then I put Bella in my mother's arms and she strained and struggled to get away. Apparently people with mental illness emit pheromones that smell similar to fear.

I then took Bella and my mother to the dog park, and all of the dogs there kept ignoring her, and a malamute (yes a malamute) kept barking! When the owner said "Ready to go home?" the two malamutes raced over to him.

What I want to know is:

Does anyone else have stories like this?

Wow....this is so interesting!!
I know cats are supposed to have an even stronger connection to this kind of thing. I think animals are so much more in tune and perceptive than we are. Brooky definitely can read me with out me saying anything, but don't know about this example. Fascinating though!

That is interesting. I heard of dogs being used to sniff out cancer too. I don't think dogs are telepathic but I think they do have some "abilities" we have yet to learn.

Way back in the mid 1970s we had a restaurant in Cornwall, UK. We had moved down from London, complete with minature Poodle, Mandy, who was quite a character.

All customers were invited to start their evening in the bar, where they could have a drink while deciding on their orders and this is where Mandy came carried out her chosen work, that of greeting each and every customer, usually sitting with each party in turn and often giving and receiving many expressions of affection. She had quite a following. After their meal customers were invited to return to the bar for coffee and a complimentary brandy or liqueuer, inevitably closely attended by Mandy.

One very busy evening, it may have been a function, the bar was crowded but I let Mandy come through from the wine cellar as usual. Also as usual, she came bounding across the room, hoping to greet old friends and perhaps make some new ones. Not this time though because she pulled on the brakes very abruptly in mid flight and stiffened, then turned to go back to the door leading to the wine cellar. I let her back through, when she decided to give it another go, waiting for me to let her back into the bar again. This time she sniffed the air, then stopped in her tracks, rigid and unable to move a muscle this time. I picked her up. She felt very cold.

I will never know why I asked if anybody is afraid of dogs here - absolute silence. Then a man piped up 'I'm not afraid of them, but I just don't like dogs - sorry'. I took Mandy out into the coffee room and found her a bone to chew on by way of compensation. Simultaneous with the man and his friends leaving, Mandy scratched at the cellar door to be let back in. She bounded across the bar and immediately went back into her normal who shall I make a fuss of first routine as if nothing had happened.

I really think there was some sort of telepathy which told Mandy this man disliked dogs and I have never been able to explain how she knew immediately he had left, when she had been in the wine cellar, deep in the basement - a room without windows, so it doesn't seem feasible that she picked up his scent.

The other really eerie experience was between Rebel and his breeder, when she was in hospital 80 miles away. The lady had been seriously ill for several days. Rebel got sadder and sadder as she deteriorated. Then on the Monday morning I had an e-mail to say she had improved, had sat up in bed the night before, drinking a cup of tea. Relieved that I didn't need to stay near the 'phone I caged the dogs to go shopping. When I got back Rebel rushed out to meet me. I could see he was upset. He pulled me by the trouser leg into the bedroom and over to the computer. I logged on and went into my e-mail box, where I found the message that Chris had died. Rebel had never behaved in that way before or since.

Misha has always been my dog. He loves his family, and is nice to friends. He ignores everyone else and will walk the other way if they try to pat him. He is always by my side. On two separate occasions, friends put their dogs down. Each respective day, Misha went over to them and curled up against them the whole time they were there. This was completely atypical behavior for him, but awfully sweet.

Oh and Alana...Brooky does this with upsetting footage on TV. If anything has to do with war, old footage or new...not even bombs or noises, just uniforms, she circles, barks and loses it.

My best friend was killed in Iraq, and when I even see a military uniform I start falling apart, but more on the inside. For some reason Brooklyn has picked up on this and even if my back is turned to the TV and I hear her grumbling or circling around, sure enough when I look, war or military is in TV. It's crazy.

Back