Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Should Elton go to dermatplogist?

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Anne! Sweet Elton and all his issues. I know it must be hard, but bless you for caring for him so deeply! You are a good momma, and with all your own personal issues too!

Wow Kelsey, great info....little Brooklyn is also a trooper. Hard to believe all she has been through, and now the allergy trials. But at least you are getting some answers. Hard to believe she is so high allergic to MOTH's!!! But glad you have an answer and can control it.

Anne, I was wondering why you can't get the allergy stuff covered by your insurance? But, I certainly do understand that if finances are thin, there is only so much you can do. So even though the neurologist made the suggestion, it's not him paying the bill. I know how important Elton is to you, and I know you will do everything humanly possible to keep him healthy and happy. Don't feel guilty about waiting it out a bit while you wait for the insurance money from the first tests to come back.

For now, you need to concentrate on getting well yourself! Elton needs a well momma. Hugs and prayers Anne!
    Cindy and Claire
    Claire was born on Feb7, 2010

Post Thanks / Like

Rose has allergies- her littermate has none. Go figure. We currently use a half a 4 hour Chlortimaton (disclaimer as usual-ask your vet first :P) when she has a bad flare (itchiness to the point of raw spots ), and an AWESOME spray and shampoo a Cavalier friend recommended to me. Rose has been soooo much more comfortable. It's called Eqyss Micro Tek. We use the shampoo once a week, diluted (per directions) and then the spray. The first time I used the shampoo, I used it full strength (which you can do, but I discovered it's not necessary for Rose), and when she got out of the bathroom, she was still itching. I was so bummed. But, within 15-30 minutes later and the spray, the itching stopped. And only came back if I forgot to spray her (twice a day is recommended). I'm about to order my second bottle. It might at least give you both some relief until you can get to a point where you can take him to the dermatologist if you still feel you need to.

We did the elimination diet with Rose and now feed her Back to Basics Turkey dry mixed with Before Grain-either chicken, buffalo, or tripe and 2 tsp. of oatbran (she's allergic to wheat). I also quit using the wet Swiffer pads, because she had a bad round of itching after I used them for the first time. I've gotten a spray mop that I put either vinegar and water in, or water and Nature's Miracle. I hope you both are feeling better soon.

Post Thanks / Like

I think what Pat recommended about going to behavioralist awhile back I should have done
    I agree,
    You have a dog who guards,marks and bites.
    He chases his tail and flycatches.Not every solution comes from a pharmaceutical factory. Medications may mask the symptoms and do not address the root cause if it is behavioural.
    I certainly do understand that if finances are thin, there is only so much you can do. So even though the neurologist made the suggestion, it's not him paying the bill. I know how important Elton is to you, and I know you will do everything humanly possible to keep him healthy and happy. Don't feel guilty about waiting it out a bit while you wait for the insurance money from the first tests to come back.
    I agree 100%. You have had some massive medical bills.I'm not sure if you've paid off Ellas?
    If a dog has a serious illness,I can understand how we go the extra mile and give them the best treatment we can and pay what must be paid.
    However,you have had some vague suggestions,it " looks like" epilepsy,it" might be" flycatchers,all suggestions but no firm absolute diagnosis.
    If he doesn't have a rash,persistent diarrhoea,skin infections or serious reactions,then he can wait a few weeks until you've recovered and your finances are in better shape.
    People here have given you some great advice about managing allergies.
    Just take care of yourself for a while.Then follow up the referral with the behaviourist.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

You know I disagree with it being rare for mild CM to be symptomatic. I'm not saying that's definitely his problem but I see him shaking head with no yeast in ears or infections, hiding, etc.

I have seen two MRI stating mild CM with severely symptomatic cavaliers so even if not unheard of, it's more common than I think noted. I was reading a comment on Ella's blog actually from bet before she passed thanking me to showing her that CM can be a big factor.

Dr. Brofman wants be to call him Monday. I want to talk to him and make sure that I'm not trying to look for symptoms not there (people on Facebook have been rude to me thinking nothing is wrong with him) but I have videos of him in distress. My main thing is getting him out of distress and making him not have pain.

While I can't drive and out of town, I found a in house trainer to call. I am not well if he is not well. Luckily, removing salmon has really helped some scratching, tear stains.

Thanks everyone! I don't think waiting on some things will hurt but can do training always.
    Anne Proud mother of Elton 5 and Angel Ella

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I want to thank everyone for their time and help with Elton.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sins,

You are right. Many people have given me wonderful advice especially regarding allergies. Very much appreciated!