• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed: Three Years On

Rod - the new scheme seems to have more or less started - Cambridge University Vet School are charging £200 for a mini-scan plus £100 for certification under the new BVA/KC scheme. Whether they are sending the scans to the panel for assessment and then letting them accumulate until the scheme is really up and running isn't clear, but the neurologists seem to be taking it for granted that the scheme is startiing if not now then pretty soon. Clare Rusbridge says she is stopping giving second opinions on scans as this will now be done by the panel (she's not stopping discussing particular cases, just the routine look). Chestergates say on their info that their scans are accepted for the BVA/KC scheme. The KC are probably so busy with Crufts that they haven't got round to updating their website for health schemes! (And Cavaliers, of course, are only one among many - other breeds have got new tests starting up.)

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Yes,the scheme is up and running.
The BVA/KC forms have been distributed and scanning days have been organised.
Holly is being scanned at Downs Vets,Bristol under the new scheme on 13 th March and booking forms currently being filled out.
There is no independent assessments at this venue,all scans will be sent to the BVA panel for reading and the results of KC registered dogs will be published.
The BVA/KC SM scheme is open to all breeds and to dogs from other countries.
In the event of overseas Kennel Club reg dogs,the scan will still be read by panellists,the BVA cert will be issued but obviously results not published.
This will be the official definitive cert,standardised scans and a consensus opinion from the panel.
Obviously,where independent assessments are given at other venues,submission to the panel may be optional and many will scan outside of the scheme,either because of the cost of the extra £100 or the wish to keep scan results confidential.
Perhaps the KC want to make a bit of a splash and launch the scheme at Crufts??
Sins

Sins wrote: Perhaps the KC want to make a bit of a splash and launch the scheme at Crufts??

Could well be - for the last couple of years they've had a health section, with people from AHT and similar giving advice and information. Aled's having a mini-scan in May (no sign of SM, just checking him out) but as he's a rescue without a pedigree his result won't be very useful (except to me, of course!). Good news that the scheme's running - just wish it wasn't so expensive that it could put people off.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Sins wrote: Perhaps the KC want to make a bit of a splash and launch the scheme at Crufts??

Could well be - for the last couple of years they've had a health section, with people from AHT and similar giving advice and information. Aled's having a mini-scan in May (no sign of SM, just checking him out) but as he's a rescue without a pedigree his result won't be very useful (except to me, of course!). Good news that the scheme's running - just wish it wasn't so expensive that it could put people off.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Removed

... Perhaps the KC want to make a bit of a splash and launch the scheme at Crufts??

Perhaps, but that is not what they have claimed. They have claimed that they would announce this thing in January. And since then, silence from the KC and nothing more than a footnote on the BVA website. What is KC's problem???

Perhaps we should just be thankful it's got off the ground at all, considering some of the opposition to it last year! And of course, we think Cavaliers all- important, but for the BVA and the KC ours is only one of several new health tests that are arriving around now (you really do need to read the breed notes in Our Dogs :lol: - between the boring show results there's a lot of useful information!).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I am sure there will be plenty of discussion after tonight's broadcast (happening now!) as there will again be focus on cavaliers.

I just finished watching this. God, these breeders make me furious. Theses poor dogs. That poor pug at the end made me so upset. What is wrong with these people? These dogs can't even BREATH properly. What's it going to take for things to change?

Hoping to watch this on iplayer tomorrow [we do not have a tv aerial so couldn't watch it tonight - my doggie chiropractor was here anyway :)]. It sounds like it was quite distressing to watch :(

I hope that it did feature some of the good things that came out of the 1st program - things have changed dramatically, although obviously there is still a long way to go...

None of us want to think of our beloved breed changing, but there were always going to be problems eventually with a closed registry. I think this comment from the Telegraph article is really significant, I didn't realise they could do this

"We can use DNA sequencing to identify other breeds that can be used to introduce new genetic diversity into populations." Dr Sarah Blott, head of quantitative genetics at the Animal Health Trust

I was concerned about people arbitrarily using other breeds without an official recognised program, but hopefully this is something that could be developed in time.

People outside the UK cannot get BBC shows on the iPlayer without an international annual subscription and that doesn't include all programmes (oops just realised this service apparently not launched yet? But is coming).

When it runs elsewhere depends on when and if other markets buy rights through the BBC.

However expect it to start popping up on YouTube in chunks (and disappear and be reposted) going on experience with PDE.

I watched it. I think we will have to wait to see if it has enough impact on the dog-owning and dog-loving public to force breeders to get real about following the MVD and CM/SM breeding guidelines, which in the case of the UK would include allowing scan results to be publicly available.

I think that Jemima has neutralized the accusation that her shows are not balanced, but I am sure her critics will come up with another argument to replace that one, or just scream "unbalanced" anyway.

I thought the piece on Dalmatians was very interesting. But as she said the rest of the Dalmatian breeders are far from ok with what she has done. I just can't see any justification for not improving the health of any breed. Absolutely stupid!

She mentioned all the changes that have been made and she did say there have been plenty of changes. At the end she also said that the KC can’t (or won’t) reinforce things like mandatory health testing as it wants to keep the breeders happy. Well I knew that anyway but what does it tell you.
And is nobody listening to all these experts on PDE, they are all highly qualified people. The surgeon that operated on the pug said that it is highly unethical to breed dogs that can’t breathe. No expert needs to tell me that it is common sense.

I watched it. I think we will have to wait to see if it has enough impact on the dog-owning and dog-loving public to force breeders to get real about following the MVD and CM/SM breeding guidelines, which in the case of the UK would include allowing scan results to be publicly available.

I think that Jemima has neutralized the accusation that her shows are not balanced, but I am sure her critics will come up with another argument to replace that one, or just scream "unbalanced" anyway.

How? I mean did you watch it?

I just finished watching it after being on the fence as to whether to or not - purely because the last one upset me so much (and I didn't even have a Cavalier then!).

A few tears later and I'm just thinking about it all. I always thought it was quite one sided as we all know there are good breeders out there (though who knows how many) but I think she did point out the things which the kennel club has put in place for encouragement which was fair enough. I think everything was true, it's just getting others who aren't in the dog world but who are buying and breeding puppies involved that is a big problem. (among other things of course!)

Hi
Any comments or thoughts on Part Two ,surprised there are not quite a lot already or do you think Part Two suffered a bit from lack of impact
and due you think nothing really new was said regarding Cavalier owners ,as most of us already knew about the developments J.H. commented on .
Look forward to reading all your thoughts please.

I managed to watch it up to the appearance of the Dalmation then Poppy opened one eye then that was my lot ,but its all recorded to be watched
again when the girls are all fast asleep .

Pde2

I watched pedigree dogs exposed 2 last night and I can only describe it as a horror show. What those breeders in the kennel club are doing to these dogs to achieve 'desirable traits' is nothing short of immoral. When they showed pictures of some breeds and how they have changed in a matter of decades it was truly shocking (ie the bulldog for example) It is very telling that some of the vets who perform surgery to try and alleviate the problems related to this type of breeding say that a lot of their work nowadays is undoing the damage this unsavoury genetic breeding leads to. and its not just cavaliers ... As the owner of two cavaliers (with health problems unfortunately). I can honestly say hand on heart that I will never buy another pedigree dog. The most telling statement about the cavalier was that "this breed has gone from creation to ruination in 100 years." So sad and deeply disturbing.

Back