• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed: Three Years On

I watched pedigree dogs exposed 2 last night and I can only describe it as a horror show. What those breeders in the kennel club are doing to these dogs to achieve 'desirable traits' is nothing short of immoral. When they showed pictures of some breeds and how they have changed in a matter of decades it was truly shocking (ie the bulldog for example) It is very telling that some of the vets who perform surgery to try and alleviate the problems related to this type of breeding say that a lot of their work nowadays is undoing the damage this unsavoury genetic breeding leads to. and its not just cavaliers ... As the owner of two cavaliers (with health problems unfortunately). I can honestly say hand on heart that I will never buy another pedigree dog. The most telling statement about the cavalier was that "this breed has gone from creation to ruination in 100 years." So sad and deeply disturbing.

You summed it up perfectly. Not much more to say. Sometimes I really can’t understand human nature for money and greed.

The blonde breeder, Beverly I think her name was, was just despicable. I mean, I am only saying this based on the facts in the video, but if what was said was true, she should be banned from ever touching a dog again.

I can honestly say hand on heart that I will never buy another pedigree dog.

That's very sad. Of course with two ill cavaliers you may have that opinion, my parents will not buy a cavalier due to Ella because she had CM/SM and now problems with Elton. I think it's sad. I fear you are not alone and my opinion is the Great thing about pedigree dogs is you know what genetic health problems one has, temperament, and if you spend time you can find breeders who will work to eliminate or lessen chance.

Everyone will feel differently.

That's very sad. Of course with two ill cavaliers you may have that opinion, my parents will not buy a cavalier due to Ella because she had CM/SM and now problems with Elton. I think it's sad. I fear you are not alone and my opinion is the Great thing about pedigree dogs is you know what genetic health problems one has, temperament, and if you spend time you can find breeders who will work to eliminate or lessen chance.

Everyone will feel differently.

Of course it is wonderful that some breeders are working to health test their animals and eliminate this genetic russian roulette that many breeders are playing. However, I fear it will be some time before real progress is made as the kennel club is so resistant to change. I applaud those people in PDE2 who had the courage of their convictions to appear and take a stand against these practices eventhough in many instances it led to their ostracisation. All of us who own and care for dogs should follow their example and speak out against these practices when and where we can.

I posted a question asking why the new schemes and old health screening programs haven't been made mandatory for Cavaliers. No reply! Surprise surprise!

I asked a couple of questions as well about mandatory screening. They said before they left that all questions that haven't been answered on the live chat will be answered and posted onto their website at the end of the day. Waiting!

Of course it is wonderful that some breeders are working to health test their animals and eliminate this genetic russian roulette that many breeders are playing. However, I fear it will be some time before real progress is made as the kennel club is so resistant to change. I applaud those people in PDE2 who had the courage of their convictions to appear and take a stand against these practices eventhough in many instances it led to their ostracisation. All of us who own and care for dogs should follow their example and speak out against these practices when and where we can.

The "powerful people" portrayed in the segment on Boxers are the people who are running dogdom in the UK - there are a few in every breed - not the KC. The health of pedigree dogs will never change with them at the helm. These people are not dog lovers...they love what dogs have done for them.

In every organisation it is always those at the top who make it a success or failure. If people like this permeate a breed then nothing will change. The KC has no power...that is becoming increasingly evident...they have no power because they have a conflict of interest..pure and simple. They will not bite the hand that feeds them.

Totally agree with this

In every organisation it is always those at the top who make it a success or failure. If people like this permeate a breed then nothing will change. The KC has no power...that is becoming increasingly evident...they have no power because they have a conflict of interest..pure and simple. They will not bite the hand that feeds them.

The "powerful people" portrayed in the segment on Boxers are the people who are running dogdom in the UK - there are a few in every breed - not the KC. The health of pedigree dogs will never change with them at the helm. These people are not dog lovers...they love what dogs have done for them.

Thanks for enlightening me .. it seems like such a complex issue with no easy answers. just felt so sad and angry to see all those dogs suffering needlessly last night; I really hope that somehow the message portrayed in PDE2 will get through to those who have the power to end this pain and suffering that so many dogs have to endure in the name of 'beauty'.

The UK Kennel Club's response -- http://www.thekennelclub.org.uk/item/4189/23/5/3 -- amazes me. the KC claims it is powerless to do anything about the genetic problems and washes its hands of responsibility. It blames the lack of regulation of dog breeding:

Unfortunately, there is very little regulation of dog breeding in this country and the Kennel Club has no legislative power but runs its Assured Breeder Scheme to support responsible breeders.

Excuse me, KC, but you ARE a regulator of dog breeding in the UK. You, KC, have the power to regulate registrations of litters, and you have the power to regulate breed standards.

But, KC refuses to acknowledge that its breed standards are a part of the problem.

Sadly, some breeders continue to breed dogs to achieve a particular look that is not supported by the Kennel Club’s Breed Standards. Caroline Kisko, Kennel Club Secretary, said: “The Breed Standards for pedigree dogs, which have been agreed with the veterinary profession, including the BVA, make it absolutely clear that breeding dogs with exaggerated features, such as overly short noses and heavy wrinkles, is not acceptable.”

So, KC denies that its breed standards, and its judges which put up the mutants, are the problem. It wants us to believe that the mutants are all due to the non-KC puppy farmers.

Finally, KC actually calls upon Parliament to take control.

In the absence of legislation, there is no obligation on breeders to take note of the Breed Standards which promote healthy dogs.

I never, ever, have heard of an organization like the KC actually wanting government to force it to do the right thing. Goverment regulation never is a solution. It is too heavy-handed and will apply its rules across the board to all breeds, regardless of differences. Government will not fine-tune its rules to recognize breed distinctions.

KC has the power to solve these problems, and yet KC claims it cannot and wants the government to do it. Unbelieveable!

Then, KC proceeds with its lies:

Dog shows are the only forum where it is possible to see whether dogs are being bred with exaggerations. Judges are trained to only reward healthy dogs and to make absolutely sure that this happens the Kennel Club will be introducing veterinary checks from Crufts this year onwards.

Imagine, thinking we will fall for such drivel! Judges are putting the mutants up! Hasn't KC noticed that fact?

Ruby was diagnosed only because of PDE. Who knows how much longer she may have suffered with out it! I watched in horror, like Tania said, because I had a cavalier and knew at that stage she had a murmor. I knew in a second that Ruby had SM and so did my family. My sister called and said, thats Ruby, thats her symptoms!
So thank you Jemima for saving my babies life!!

Same story here. I took Dylan to the vet the day after PDE. Jemima was the only person who phoned me to say sorry about Dylan's diagnosis and Margaret came with me for the scan and result.

There are a handful of good breeders out there though. But sadly, as I now have 2 affected dogs, I dare not take the chance on another Cavalier :(

I haven't managed to watch it yet, we do not have a TV aerial connection [only watch DVDs] and I have been trying to watch it on i-player but it is heavily oversubscribed and our broadband speed so low that it is impossible to watch :( Currently trying to download it to watch later, we're now at 10% - only another 4 1/2 hours to go so I guess I won't be watching it tonight :(

It sounds like it was rather disappointing?

Thank you for your comments Rod - very thought provoking and shocking - the KC are in charge until they need to do something and then all the excuses fly out - we should have expected it following their attitude to puppy farming :(

Rod wrote: Excuse me, KC, but you ARE a regulator of dog breeding in the UK.

But only a limited one. The KC can regulate those breeders who choose to register their dogs with the KC (and yes, they should do FAR more than they do). But they have absolutely no power whatsoever in law to regulate any breeder who doesn't register dogs with them - which unfortunately includes many, if not the majority, of puppy farmers and backyard breeders, and Jo Public who thinks it would be nice for their bitch to have puppies and use the dog up the road (and yes, I have been asked if they could use Oliver!).

Until parliament stepped in and started getting involved in breeding legislation, the only organisation with authority over non-KC registering breeders was the RSPCA, who seem to be more occupied with cocking a snook at the KC and prosecuting old men who are too frail to exercise their dogs properly (the RSPCA could have saved a lot of time and money if they'd simply sent someone round to tell him about the Cinnamon Trust, a charity that exists to help the elderly with their pets, but the RSPCA doesn't seem to know the meaning of the word co-operation).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Was a bit dissapointed that most of the cavalier bits where repeats, I was horrified by the poor pug wth its gooey nose wrinkle.

All I seem to be hearing at the moment is why didnt they pick on the puppyfarmers & leave us show people alone. Just because someone is worse does not give breeder licence to do what they want. I know puppyfarmers who look down on other puppyfarmers for not meeting their meagre standards!
Secondly puppyfarm dogs are not a seperate breed , they are from the same foundation stock as show cavaliers ( and often on a couple of generations removed from champions) so its pointless saying all the dogs with health problems are from puppyfarms.
The only difference between breeders is those that health test and those that dont , If the dogs are not health tested the only difference between show bred dogs and puppyfarm dogs is cosmetic appearence.

All those breeders who do test their dogs and breed the healthiest dogs they can have my admiration ,You are in a completely different league to those who dont be they show or pet breeders.

...The KC can regulate those breeders who choose to register their dogs with the KC (and yes, they should do FAR more than they do). ...

But the KC is denying that it has any such power to regulate any breeders, at all. Is it lying to itself, or is it a fraud? Only two choices here.

I posted a question asking why the new schemes and old health screening programs haven't been made mandatory for Cavaliers. No reply! Surprise surprise!

Hi Karen
I have been intouch with the Kennel Club and been told that there were hundreds of questions and they are still trying to answer them all. They will be up on the KC site as soon as possible

I have had cavs for over 25yrs now and love the breed but i am wondering if i will ever get another one with all the health problems. Pip was pts aged 6 yrs and it is devastating. I know i have been really lucky up to now and the ones i have had except Pip have all lived to over 10 yrs and Pigs was nearly 16yrs and did agility until she was 12yrs.The ones i have now are all x breeding bitches that are all around 12yrs with Emily being at least 15yrs and luckily no signs of SM but they do have heart murmers but none on pills yet. I really hope that the breeders that are doing all the health checks etc will manage to convince the so called breeders to change there minds and start taking the health of the cavs seriously and between everyone they can save this lovely breed

Back