• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed: Three Years On

Also, how do I search for the new PDE. I'm getting videos reading chapters of Tess of the d'Ubervilles, and other literature when I search "pedigree dogs exposed three years on".

I think what Dr Rusbridge meant was that she is often asked to look at MRIs and grade them, to confirm or query a diagnosis, or its level of severity. That's what she feels the panel can now do (leaving her with more time to do other things like her own research!), but she will continue to look at MRIs where there is a question of treatment, of long-term prognosis etc - as she did recently for Dagny and her owner by telephone to France.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Also, how do I search for the new PDE. I'm getting videos reading chapters of Tess of the d'Ubervilles, and other literature when I search "pedigree dogs exposed three years on".

Rod posted a link to You tube either earlier on in this thread or on one of the others associated with PDE 2 x

Thanks for posting the replies! I'm shocked at what they wrote, how can a dog be fit for function when it can't run about or walk even on a bad day. When they can't bend down to eat or drink with out having bowls raised up. Can't wear a collar as it agrivates symptoms. It says it all really... External looks and confirmation before health. As long as it suits their pockets, nothing will change!

I think that if a Cavalier was showing signs of pain in the show ring it would be withdrawn, as judges now have to agree to penalise anything that is dentrimental to soundness, health and well-being of a dog.

Not all Cavaliers have SM. Many are in fact healthy and have been tested, and are being shown, and are happy little dogs.

Yes, it is important to remember there are tested, happy cavaliers out there. :)

On the issue of what is seen in the ring -- I could show my Leo and no one would know he has pain days and SM as the meds will mask it. At the same time, I talk privately to show people and many say they regularly see scratching cavaliers in the ring that do not seem to be 'just scratching' in a normal way.

And judges have definitely given championships to dogs that were known in show circles to have SM, including one that in one well known case in the UK, was actively scratching in the ring the day it was given his championship -- a decision which disturbed many breeders including many who would not normally see eye to eye with me on anything! Shortly after that dog was sold on out of the country to be used at stud. The judge either was utterly ignorant of SM and its symptoms in the breed they are supposed to be expert in, or chose to totally ignore such obvious signs and give a championship they knew would make the dog desireable as a stud, to pass on those sick genes. :( I wonder which?

But no one will break the code of silence.

There have been many known SM affected dogs shown. Making up Champions and breaking breed records were what motivated the owners.

If I gave Ruby enough drugs she could easily go un noticed. In fact she leads a pretty normal life thanks to the meds she has.

If I gave Ruby enough drugs she could easily go un noticed. In fact she leads a pretty normal life thanks to the meds she has.

Harley & Eboney the same. People sometimes don't believe me that they are symtomatic. They run around like lunatics if I let them, but if i miss Ebonys pain relieve by an hour I know about it.

Incidentally, a formal comment on PDE 2 from the BSAVA (main British vet association) website:

Vice President Mark Johnson said “We are supportive of the changes that the Kennel Club has made so far, and applaud them in allowing the introduction of new genes into certain breeds as demonstrated by the registration of the LUA Dalmatian. I support the introduction of the “Mate Select” scheme but believe that the Kennel Club should adopt the Advisory Council on Welfare in Dog Breeding recommendation and not register puppies with a coefficient of breeding (over 5 generations) greater than 12.5%.

Well: that would mean a LOT of current and recent litters from well known breeders would NOT get KC registration! That's why the KC and breeders will oppose with tooth and nail every attempt to move towards any kind of meaningful health measures. That's why the public, and their vets, needs to take up this fight for REAL change.

http://www.bsava.com/News/AdviceNews/PedigreeDogsExposedThreeyearson/tabid/1592/Default.aspx

The full statement on their website:

BSAVA comments on Pedigree Dogs Exposed – three years on
The programme shown at 9pm, BBC4 on 27th February was the follow up to Pedigree Dogs Exposed made by Jemima Harrison, first shown in 2008.

Commenting on the BBC programme President Andrew Ash said “Jemima Harrison has highlighted an important issue. It is essential that veterinary surgeons, dog breeders and the general public no longer accept that breeding for extremes of conformation or knowingly from animals with inherited disease is an acceptable practice. The programme highlighted two main areas of concern, firstly the small genetic pool that exists in many breeds and secondly continued breeding for extremes of body shape. Both these areas must be addressed urgently. A civilised nation must agree that it is not acceptable to breed dogs that cannot function as dogs. ”

He went on to say that “BSAVA supports the health schemes that are now available to owners as steps in the right direction. However it is difficult to believe that health schemes are going to be sufficient in themselves to tackle these problems rapidly and effectively. It is particularly perverse to be promoting health schemes and yet continuing to allow the registration and showing of progeny with Coefficients of Inbreeding as high as 47.5% or where the animal concerned is known to have failed a screening test (significant in that breed)”

Vice President Mark Johnson said “We are supportive of the changes that the Kennel Club has made so far, and applaud them in allowing the introduction of new genes into certain breeds as demonstrated by the registration of the LUA Dalmatian. I support the introduction of the “Mate Select” scheme but believe that the Kennel Club should adopt the Advisory Council on Welfare in Dog Breeding recommendation and not register puppies with a coefficient of breeding (over 5 generations) greater than 12.5%.”

BSAVA supports the BVA in their call for a radical review of all breed standards to ensure that they actively protect the health and welfare of the dog. However it is important to remember that inherited disease is not just a problem of purebred dogs and BSAVA supports the introduction of legislation that seeks to improve the health and welfare of all dogs.

Well: that would mean a LOT of current and recent litters from well known breeders would NOT get KC registration!

In that category, according to the latest list of registrations, there is a litter with a COI of 33.2% ( and no eye test results for either parent ) and another litter with COI of 17.9% ( and a Sire under 2 years of age )

Back