• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

PDE2 ( next Monday) will interest anyone with a SM affected cavalier

Status
Not open for further replies.

Margaret C

I have already posted this on the General Forum but I think it also belongs here:

Pedigree Dogs Exposed was shown in August 2008 and had an extraordinary impact. The BBC dropped coverage of Crufts, the Kennel Club amended 78 breed standards and three in depth reports ( one jointly commissioned by the KC and Dogs Trust ) agreed that there were grave welfare issues in the way pedigree dogs are bred and a Dog Advisory Council was set up.

Many Cavalier owners, some of them members of this forum, saw the film and realised for the first time that the quirky traits they saw in their pet were symptoms of a painful inherited neurological condition called Syringomyelia.

I appeared in PDE1 and Jemima Harrison asked to film another interview with me last year. According to an article in 'Radio Times' Cavaliers will be featured again in PDE2.
I do not know if any of my interview will make it to the film ( Jemima will have hours and hours of interviews to choose from ) but I do rather hope so.

For those that have not seen PDE1, it is on YouTube in 6 parts. Cavaliers appear in two parts http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pm17MesMFRc and http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4vyn...eature=related

PDE2 is being shown on Monday, on BBC4, at 9pm.

Pde2

I watched pedigree dogs exposed 2 last night and I can only describe it as a horror show. What those breeders in the kennel club are doing to these dogs to achieve 'desirable traits' is nothing short of immoral. When they showed pictures of some breeds and how they have changed in a matter of decades it was truly shocking (ie the bulldog for example) It is very telling that some of the vets who perform surgery to try and alleviate the problems related to this type of breeding say that a lot of their work nowadays is undoing the damage this unsavoury genetic breeding leads to. and its not just cavaliers ... As the owner of two cavaliers (with health problems unfortunately). I can honestly say hand on heart that I will never buy another pedigree dog. The most telling statement about the cavalier was that "this breed has gone from creation to ruination in 100 years." So sad and deeply disturbing.

I watched pedigree dogs exposed 2 last night and I can only describe it as a horror show. What those breeders in the kennel club are doing to these dogs to achieve 'desirable traits' is nothing short of immoral. When they showed pictures of some breeds and how they have changed in a matter of decades it was truly shocking (ie the bulldog for example) It is very telling that some of the vets who perform surgery to try and alleviate the problems related to this type of breeding say that a lot of their work nowadays is undoing the damage this unsavoury genetic breeding leads to. and its not just cavaliers ... As the owner of two cavaliers (with health problems unfortunately). I can honestly say hand on heart that I will never buy another pedigree dog. The most telling statement about the cavalier was that "this breed has gone from creation to ruination in 100 years." So sad and deeply disturbing.

You summed it up perfectly. Not much more to say. Sometimes I really can’t understand human nature for money and greed.

The blonde breeder, Beverly I think her name was, was just despicable. I mean, I am only saying this based on the facts in the video, but if what was said was true, she should be banned from ever touching a dog again.

I can honestly say hand on heart that I will never buy another pedigree dog.

That's very sad. Of course with two ill cavaliers you may have that opinion, my parents will not buy a cavalier due to Ella because she had CM/SM and now problems with Elton. I think it's sad. I fear you are not alone and my opinion is the Great thing about pedigree dogs is you know what genetic health problems one has, temperament, and if you spend time you can find breeders who will work to eliminate or lessen chance.

Everyone will feel differently.

That's very sad. Of course with two ill cavaliers you may have that opinion, my parents will not buy a cavalier due to Ella because she had CM/SM and now problems with Elton. I think it's sad. I fear you are not alone and my opinion is the Great thing about pedigree dogs is you know what genetic health problems one has, temperament, and if you spend time you can find breeders who will work to eliminate or lessen chance.

Everyone will feel differently.

Of course it is wonderful that some breeders are working to health test their animals and eliminate this genetic russian roulette that many breeders are playing. However, I fear it will be some time before real progress is made as the kennel club is so resistant to change. I applaud those people in PDE2 who had the courage of their convictions to appear and take a stand against these practices eventhough in many instances it led to their ostracisation. All of us who own and care for dogs should follow their example and speak out against these practices when and where we can.

Of course it is wonderful that some breeders are working to health test their animals and eliminate this genetic russian roulette that many breeders are playing. However, I fear it will be some time before real progress is made as the kennel club is so resistant to change. I applaud those people in PDE2 who had the courage of their convictions to appear and take a stand against these practices eventhough in many instances it led to their ostracisation. All of us who own and care for dogs should follow their example and speak out against these practices when and where we can.

The "powerful people" portrayed in the segment on Boxers are the people who are running dogdom in the UK - there are a few in every breed - not the KC. The health of pedigree dogs will never change with them at the helm. These people are not dog lovers...they love what dogs have done for them.

In every organisation it is always those at the top who make it a success or failure. If people like this permeate a breed then nothing will change. The KC has no power...that is becoming increasingly evident...they have no power because they have a conflict of interest..pure and simple. They will not bite the hand that feeds them.

Thanks for enlightening me .. it seems like such a complex issue with no easy answers. just felt so sad and angry to see all those dogs suffering needlessly last night; I really hope that somehow the message portrayed in PDE2 will get through to those who have the power to end this pain and suffering that so many dogs have to endure in the name of 'beauty'.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back