• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

SM? advise please

Hi everyone. I just joined the community and was hoping to get some feedback on SM. I have a beautiful CKC named Scarlett that just turned 5. Sadly, my cousin's CKC just passed away suddenly. Apparently, the dog had been in pain for a month or so, but they didn't realize he had SM until it was too late. I have now been doing a lot of research and can't believe how many cavaliers have this issue. My vet has never brought it up before or asked us about symptoms. I had noticed recently that Scarlett has been scratching a lot on one side of her body - particularly when I'm petting her/brushing her and when we go on walks. I just assumed the leash was bothering her. I thought it was strange, but figured it could wait until our next vet visit. After watching some of these videos I am very concerned, but don't know if I am being overly paranoid.

I don't think she has any other symptoms other than the scratching - she does roll around and rub her face occasionally, but that can also be regular dog behavior. I'm curious to know what made some of you go to your vet to discuss SM or get the MRI. Any insight/advice you have is appreciated. Thanks!

Hi Danielle,

Sorry to hear that you think your dog may have SM. It's scary to think about and something I've been going through recently with my pup who is 4.5 months old. You asked about what made some of us go to the vet to discuss SM or get the MRI. You can see my thread that's a few below yours that says "My puppy was just diagnosed with SM" for my answer to that question.

The scary thing about SM is that there's no gene test as far as I know, so even breeding dogs that are MRI'd and are clear may still be a carrier for the condition. It just makes me sad to think about the state of the breed. I've just been an emotional mess (and financial) since my puppy (from a breeder who health tested for everything else!) was diagnosed.

But that being said, I do feel better now. Everyone on the board has been great and supportive and has a lot of great info to share. So you've come to the right place. ;-) Best of luck to you!

Hi Danielle and welcome to the board. Sorry to hear of your concerns for Scarlett :(

I@ve moved this to a new thread as otherwise it may be missed.

Sadly many vets are still unaware of SM/CM, they may not have many Cavaliers in their practice or any experience with the condition. IF you can print out the stuff from the website and take that in, it will really help [and may help other Cavaliers and their guardians in the future]

If you read through other threads in this section you will find them helpful. Also look at www.sm.cavaliertalk.com, www.http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/ and www.cavaliermatters.org there is also information you can print off for your vet.

Back