• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pedigree Dogs Exposed 2 -- on tonight!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Karlin

Administrator
Staff member
For those in the UK and Ireland, this broadcasts tonight on BBC4-- the 3-year follow on to the ground-breaking PDE.

It is on at 9pm -- and then will be on the iPlayer for those in the UK to catch up. I am out in the US but have it on record!!

Already the new programme is getting coverage:

Daily Telegraph -- which features a strong comment by researcher Nick Jeffrey of Cambridge. now based in the US, whom many of you will know as a key CKCS health researcher:

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/p...-hit-by-row-over-health-of-pedigree-dogs.html

Daily Mail:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...ldogs-ban-pedigree-dogs-struggle-breathe.html

Daily Express:

http://www.express.co.uk/features/view/304550/In-pursuit-of-beauty ?>

I am sure there will be plenty of discussion after tonight's broadcast (happening now!) as there will again be focus on cavaliers.

I just finished watching this. God, these breeders make me furious. Theses poor dogs. That poor pug at the end made me so upset. What is wrong with these people? These dogs can't even BREATH properly. What's it going to take for things to change?

Hoping to watch this on iplayer tomorrow [we do not have a tv aerial so couldn't watch it tonight - my doggie chiropractor was here anyway :)]. It sounds like it was quite distressing to watch :(

I hope that it did feature some of the good things that came out of the 1st program - things have changed dramatically, although obviously there is still a long way to go...

None of us want to think of our beloved breed changing, but there were always going to be problems eventually with a closed registry. I think this comment from the Telegraph article is really significant, I didn't realise they could do this

"We can use DNA sequencing to identify other breeds that can be used to introduce new genetic diversity into populations." Dr Sarah Blott, head of quantitative genetics at the Animal Health Trust

I was concerned about people arbitrarily using other breeds without an official recognised program, but hopefully this is something that could be developed in time.

People outside the UK cannot get BBC shows on the iPlayer without an international annual subscription and that doesn't include all programmes (oops just realised this service apparently not launched yet? But is coming).

When it runs elsewhere depends on when and if other markets buy rights through the BBC.

However expect it to start popping up on YouTube in chunks (and disappear and be reposted) going on experience with PDE.

I watched it. I think we will have to wait to see if it has enough impact on the dog-owning and dog-loving public to force breeders to get real about following the MVD and CM/SM breeding guidelines, which in the case of the UK would include allowing scan results to be publicly available.

I think that Jemima has neutralized the accusation that her shows are not balanced, but I am sure her critics will come up with another argument to replace that one, or just scream "unbalanced" anyway.

I thought the piece on Dalmatians was very interesting. But as she said the rest of the Dalmatian breeders are far from ok with what she has done. I just can't see any justification for not improving the health of any breed. Absolutely stupid!

She mentioned all the changes that have been made and she did say there have been plenty of changes. At the end she also said that the KC can’t (or won’t) reinforce things like mandatory health testing as it wants to keep the breeders happy. Well I knew that anyway but what does it tell you.
And is nobody listening to all these experts on PDE, they are all highly qualified people. The surgeon that operated on the pug said that it is highly unethical to breed dogs that can’t breathe. No expert needs to tell me that it is common sense.

I watched it. I think we will have to wait to see if it has enough impact on the dog-owning and dog-loving public to force breeders to get real about following the MVD and CM/SM breeding guidelines, which in the case of the UK would include allowing scan results to be publicly available.

I think that Jemima has neutralized the accusation that her shows are not balanced, but I am sure her critics will come up with another argument to replace that one, or just scream "unbalanced" anyway.

How? I mean did you watch it?

I just finished watching it after being on the fence as to whether to or not - purely because the last one upset me so much (and I didn't even have a Cavalier then!).

A few tears later and I'm just thinking about it all. I always thought it was quite one sided as we all know there are good breeders out there (though who knows how many) but I think she did point out the things which the kennel club has put in place for encouragement which was fair enough. I think everything was true, it's just getting others who aren't in the dog world but who are buying and breeding puppies involved that is a big problem. (among other things of course!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back