• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teaching a Puppy to go to the Toilet on a walk

smarsden99

Hi All,

I have a 16 week old cavalier puppy and when I take him out for his daily walk he never wee's or poo's then as soon as we get home
he goes straight into the back garden and does his business.

I never had this issue with scooby as he would never stop weeing and pooing on a walk so any advice/suggestions would be appreciated...

Thanks
Sharon

Oh Sharon I'm so happy you have a little bundle of joy in your life again. What is his name and what color is he? My Riley is like your baby and has been from the day we got her and she's almost 10 years old now! She just likes to do her business in the yard. It doesn't seem to matter how long of a walk we take either - she almost never seems to go pee or poo on a walk. Occasionally she will, but it's definitely not the norm.

I would guess just take along a lot of treats and when he finally does pee or poo reward him a lot every time. He's bound to do it sometime! But then again, he may end up like Riley and like his home turf.

I remember posting about Ollie when he was a small pup not going to the toilet when we were out, it worried me as when we went out in the car and he was away home for quite a while he would not go, it must be a puppy thing as he soon grew out of it and like most male dogs is always cocking his leg up when out.

Sonny never went to the bathroom when we were out on walks when he was a puppy either. I don't remember how old he was, but eventually he started going.... I think walks were too exciting and overwhelming when he was little. Sonny also hasn't lifted his leg yet. He is about 8 months old, so I'm not sure when or if he will ever lift his leg. LOL

Back