Thread: Teenage pup

Post Thanks / Like

Default Teenage pup

This I admit is my fault. I let Bella sleep with us 2 nights last week because of my own anxiety over her being spayed. Last night I went into the bathroom where she sleeps and told her to go to bed. She looked at it and wouldn't come. I asked my husband put nudge her in and shut the door, she wouldn't come. He picked her up and put her in the bathroom and closed the door. I then put my shirt on the floor for her as she likes to have an article of my clothing to sleep with. SHE WALKED OVER, DID A WEE ON MY TOP, AND WALKED AWAY!
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Hahaha having a two legged teenager myself I can laugh at this. My 15 year old daughter is super smart and finds interesting ways to "show" me. I don't know what to tell you. When my daughter gets outta hand which isnt very often thank goodness I just stand firm on the rules are the rules. Maybe you need to re-puppy proof (shes going have a doggie fit and mess stuff up) and be lovingly firm about the rule no sleeping in your bed. Its going to be tough but she will re-learn you are the boss. Good Luck

Melissa

Post Thanks / Like

Ha. I will never forget when Brooklyn did this with my husbands boxers, and then my t-shirt. A month ago, right after she went pee, we had a friend over and she was clearly annoyed that she had to "stay" out of our space and on her bed so she got up, made a whine so we would look and then just peed, right there in the middle of our dinner. Ha. Gotta love the "adolescent phase". I do have to say though, minus the little glitches, I like it more than puppyhood.

Bella is 6 months now right? She will soon be a teenager!!

Post Thanks / Like

Oh and I agree with Melissa on the rules...many times we have had this ebb and flow and I just have to regain that "power" or like leadership and then everything is fine again. Usually if Brooky acts up, I can attribute it to what I did! Ha.

Post Thanks / Like

Bella is 21 Weeks. So nearly...she is a tween.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like

Oh these teenagers! My guy did this a couple times on his crate blanket (it wasn't because he had to go, because it was when we left the house for just a short trip to the store!). We removed the blanket from the crate and had him sleep and stay in his crate without it for a few days before reintroducing it. For Bella, I would try having her sleep in the bathroom a few days without any blankets or soft things. Give her a treat when she is put in the bathroom at night to help her know it is not a punishment being put in there. It is so tempting to just take these little doggies to bed!
    Last edited by cavalover; 2nd March 2012 at 10:42 PM.

Post Thanks / Like

Sonny peed on our couch about a month ago!!!! He didn't even do that when he was a puppy and he hasn't been having accidents inside.My husband was really upset, but I chalked it up to him being a teenager. Thank goodness it hasn't happened again. The only advice I have is just continue being consistent with training. I think Sonny is in the middle of adolescence right now at a little over 8 months. Sometimes I cant wait for him to be an adult, but then I know that Im going to miss his puppy stages.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh yes...like cavalover said...give a night time treat once she is in her "space". Brooky gets a nighttime treat every night when she takes herself into her crate and lays down It is a special "Fish for Dogs" treat that she only gets at night time to she stays excited about going into her crate. She takes herself there now knowing she gets a nighttime treat!