• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Teenage pup

Alana

This I admit is my fault. I let Bella sleep with us 2 nights last week because of my own anxiety over her being spayed. Last night I went into the bathroom where she sleeps and told her to go to bed. She looked at it and wouldn't come. I asked my husband put nudge her in and shut the door, she wouldn't come. He picked her up and put her in the bathroom and closed the door. I then put my shirt on the floor for her as she likes to have an article of my clothing to sleep with. SHE WALKED OVER, DID A WEE ON MY TOP, AND WALKED AWAY!

Hahaha having a two legged teenager myself I can laugh at this. My 15 year old daughter is super smart and finds interesting ways to "show" me. I don't know what to tell you. When my daughter gets outta hand which isnt very often thank goodness I just stand firm on the rules are the rules. Maybe you need to re-puppy proof (shes going have a doggie fit and mess stuff up) and be lovingly firm about the rule no sleeping in your bed. Its going to be tough but she will re-learn you are the boss. Good Luck

Melissa

Ha. I will never forget when Brooklyn did this with my husbands boxers, and then my t-shirt. A month ago, right after she went pee, we had a friend over and she was clearly annoyed that she had to "stay" out of our space and on her bed so she got up, made a whine so we would look and then just peed, right there in the middle of our dinner. Ha. Gotta love the "adolescent phase". I do have to say though, minus the little glitches, I like it more than puppyhood.

Bella is 6 months now right? She will soon be a teenager!! ;)

Oh and I agree with Melissa on the rules...many times we have had this ebb and flow and I just have to regain that "power" or like leadership and then everything is fine again. Usually if Brooky acts up, I can attribute it to what I did! Ha.

Oh these teenagers! My guy did this a couple times on his crate blanket (it wasn't because he had to go, because it was when we left the house for just a short trip to the store!). We removed the blanket from the crate and had him sleep and stay in his crate without it for a few days before reintroducing it. For Bella, I would try having her sleep in the bathroom a few days without any blankets or soft things. Give her a treat when she is put in the bathroom at night to help her know it is not a punishment being put in there. It is so tempting to just take these little doggies to bed!

Last edited:
Sonny peed on our couch about a month ago!!!! He didn't even do that when he was a puppy and he hasn't been having accidents inside.My husband was really upset, but I chalked it up to him being a teenager. Thank goodness it hasn't happened again. The only advice I have is just continue being consistent with training. I think Sonny is in the middle of adolescence right now at a little over 8 months. Sometimes I cant wait for him to be an adult, but then I know that Im going to miss his puppy stages.:)

Oh yes...like cavalover said...give a night time treat once she is in her "space". Brooky gets a nighttime treat every night when she takes herself into her crate and lays down :) It is a special "Fish for Dogs" treat that she only gets at night time to she stays excited about going into her crate. She takes herself there now knowing she gets a nighttime treat! :)

Back