• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Puppy biting

tracey30

Hi all, I have an almost 15 week old puppy, who the majority of the time is so sweet and loving. But every so often (a couple of times a day) she goes through a stage of biting! I'm not sure that this is 'normal' play nipping/nibbling or not, she will often take a run and try and jump up and actually bite you! I've tried yelping everytime she does it and also saying no in a firm voice but this just seems to make her mote excited and she does it all the more. I am looking into enrolling her into puppy classes but any advice/tips you may have in the meantime would be very helpful, I have young children and whilst I would never leave them alone with ruby I would like for them to beable to play together under supervision without them becoming afraid of getting bitten. Thanks in advance
Tracey

It sounds completely normal (if very undesirable!!)

When my pup did it I made a fist so he couldn't "bite" anything, waited until he stopped trying to bite and then treated him. He soon learned that he shouldn't nibble humans. If he does it now then he gets sent to his bed until he's calmed down. We've been really working on training him, but an excited puppy is an excited puppy and needs a time out.

We have a four year old and a baby on the way, so I know where you're coming from.

Another thing is to offer lots of chewy toys for her to play with and encourage her to play with them. She'll be teething so needs to chew something.
Howard's favourite chew toy is a refrigerated raw carrot. It must feel really nice on the gums and he seems to like the taste of them.

Puppy classes are always recommended. :)

Definitely sounds normal. :) I would recommend reading Ian Dunbar's section on Bite Inhibition. If you search his name on here, you should be able to find a place that the free download is posted. Also, continue to be consistent with yelping when she bites you. It took my puppy, Sonny awhile to catch on, but eventually with the yelping and following Ian Dunbar's advice, he stopped biting us. Good Luck!

Thanks so much for the replies, makes me feel so much better knowing it's normal and something we can hopefully fix!
Tracey

I second the suggestion by Ashleigh on the Ian Dunbar section on Bite Inhibition. The book talks about teaching your dog to have a "soft mouth," which has been one of the best things we have taught Butters. I also agree with the chew toy recommendation. I have found that Butters especially likes all of the Nylabone products that are in the shape of bones.

Chloe was bad with the biting when she was several weeks old. I got bitter apple spray and put it all over my hands. It helped a lot in those moments of desperation when she just wouldn't stop.

Hi tracie,

I have a 15 week old puppy that does exactly the same thing , he seems to launch himself at you..... The way we handle it is when he does this we turn our backs and get up and walk away , he gets no verbal or physical attention and this seems to work. I too have young children and I teach them to do the same , so when he launches they get up turn their backs and walk away from him , when he comes to them nicely then we praise him and even give him a treat.... Its all about teaching them some manners.......

Just like you do with the kids ha ha

sharon

Thanks for all the advice and tips. Sharon, that's just what ruby does! Funnily enough I started teaching the kids to fold their arms and turn their back on her yesterday so we'll stick with that and hope for some improvement soon ha!
Tracey

Back