• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

First bully stick!

cavalover

After reading a bunch of posts on here about how great bully sticks are, I had to let Butters have a try. He LOVED this treat and it lasted 45 minutes! I took a bunch of pictures of him thoroughly enjoying it. Next time I will have to try the pony tail trick on the ears, though. His ears got so smelly that he needed a bath! But, I am so thankful to everyone who recommended them on this board because bully sticks now are his favorite chew :)

Bully stick by LSidari, on Flickr

Just a dog and his bully stick by LSidari, on Flickr

Butters enjoying his bully stick by LSidari, on Flickr

Just thinkin' by LSidari, on Flickr

It is actually kind of gross, but it is a low calorie and healthy chew that dogs love. It is a dried up bull "pizzle" or bull penis. My husband and I literally LOL'ed when he found out, which happened to be after Butters had finished the chew. Historically, bull pizzle has been used to make walking canes, medicinal powders, and is still eaten by some people raw and cooked around the world. Reading that made me feel better about the whole idea :)

Paddy wack looks to be something different, but a similar idea. The ingredients online say it is dehydrated buffalo neck meat. I think bully sticks are sold in the UK, but I am sure someone else on the forum can verify that :)

He is absolutely stunning! I will have to look around and see if they sell them in Australia.

They do sell them in Australia Alana...here is where Brooky got hers:
http://www.petsplus.com.au/pet-shop.asp?id=991

or this place also if the above is out:
http://www.naturalicious.com.au/det...eef&SubCategory=Entertaining Chew, Dental Aid

Some pet stores sell them too...Pet Biz does I know :)

Cavalover...have you ever thought of getting a Snood for Butters? They look like this and are our lifesaver for Brooky when she is eating messy things:
http://embeecav.blogspot.com.au/p/want-to-buy-snood.html

We bought Brooky's snood from this site, I LOVE them and they last ages and machine washable. Brooklyn come running and sits and waits to put hers on when she sees it because she knows that a treat is coming! :)

Butters clearly enjoys this new found attraction :)

My Kirra loves Tripe Sticks, although a kiss afterwards is not for the faint hearted :p

It is actually kind of gross, but it is a low calorie and healthy chew that dogs love. It is a dried up bull "pizzle" or bull penis. My husband and I literally LOL'ed when he found out, which happened to be after Butters had finished the chew. Historically, bull pizzle has been used to make walking canes, medicinal powders, and is still eaten by some people raw and cooked around the world. Reading that made me feel better about the whole idea :)

Hmmmmm wonder how someone came up with that idea????? Hey let's dry a bull's penis and see what it can be good for? Ok..... sorry I turned into a 14 year old boy with this comment but........just tells a little too much about what I find funny.

Melissa

Hmmmmm wonder how someone came up with that idea????? Hey let's dry a bull's penis and see what it can be good for? Ok..... sorry I turned into a 14 year old boy with this comment but........just tells a little too much about what I find funny.

Melissa

Your comment is too funny, Melissa!

First off, Butters is so sweet! The shots are fantastic too.

Secondly,
Historically, bull pizzle has been used to make walking canes, medicinal powders, and is still eaten by some people raw and cooked around the world.

I actually ate this in China my first time there before I knew what it was. They don't dry it before you eat it. They can cut it so it looks like a beautiful flower, believe it or not!
China-2011-192_web.jpg

People in other countries do not always have the luxury of discarding tons of animal parts as we do. They use the whole animal, which I believe is more kind. Organ meats, particularly liver, are full of vitamins. If you're starving, you eat what's available.

People in other countries do not always have the luxury of discarding tons of animal parts as we do. They use the whole animal, which I believe is more kind. Organ meats, particularly liver, are full of vitamins. If you're starving, you eat what's available.

Oh sorry meant no disrespect. I honestly agree with using the whole animal. But I could not help myself from making a bull penis joke.
Melissa

I have looked at the snoods, BrooklynMom, and I think I will have to get him one for his ears :) Great recommendation! And, MishathePooh, I was wondering how that would be served when I was reading about it. That is cool it is served in the shape of a flower in China!

Glad you liked the snoods! Brooky has the teal one with gold stars on it, and I have to say...it looks gorgeous on her! :)

Whenever Sophie has a rawhide chew or bully stick, she has to wear her snood. It really helps.

I buy mine from http://stores.ebay.com.au/Natural-Pet-Australia (for other Aussies), as I found alot of the store bought bullies
were imported. I buy our Jessie's treats from them too, the kangaroo lung drives him bonkers and they are all natural.

We stick with roo and duck for all his treats and bullies as chews now. They are all practically fat free, his coat is super silky
and shiny but he's body shape is changing from that chunky puppy to a lean and athletic adult.

Back