• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Raised bowls?

murphy's mum

Can anyone recommend good quality raised bowls? I do not like the metal ones at all, and most I've seen are aimed at large dogs.

If anyone could link ones they have or have used in the past I'd really appreciate it :)

At Christmas, I ordered two raised bowls made especially for cavaliers. Go to etsy.com. The name of the shop is Pottery for Pets. Julie Scheffer is the potter and her bowls are great. You can choose your own colors. It also looks like she ships to the UK. would copy and paste address if I knew how. Good luck with your search.

Thanks, I found them, they are beautiful. I've sent her a message asking if she ships to the UK, as the bowls I looked at were only marked USA shipping.

Thanks Brooklyn's mom, he doesn't appear to be doing the raised ones at the moment though, which is a shame they are really nice too :)

You don't like metal bowls or metal bowl stands?

It's the metal bowls themselves I don't really like, however, if I'm stuck with nothing else then I'll have to get some.

It looks like we're all sorted :)

Julie at http://www.etsy.com/shop/PotteryforPets, it an absolute star. She makes such gorgeous items, and they look well worth the P&P. We're going for the ordinary raised dog bowls rather than the spaniel ones, as they eat dry food anyway, and the normal ones have a slightly larger width. Getting the black/red for Murphy, with matching water bowl, and a pastel pink/blue one for the "Princess" :D

You'll be super happy with the bowls from Julie at Pottery for Pets!!

I have one of her raised bowls (non-spaniel bowl) and it's great. Her spaniel bowls are also beautiful. She also does a great job donating to worthy Cavalier causes so I love buying from her & supporting her shop. :)

Those look delightful!

I originally bought a raised feeder with metal bowls, but most human ceramic bowls fit in so that is another option. I don't like metal bowls either.

I'm glad you were able to connect with Julie. Her bowls have certainly helped with those yucky ears we all have to brush. I guess we have similar taste as I have the exact same colors you ordered!

Please don't think I am criticising anyone else';s choice of bowls for their Cavaliers, but I am just wondering why some of you prefer ceramic to metal bowls. I use metal for all my dogs, water and food. I have the Royal Canin raised bowls set because Rebel likes to drink so much water, which means he has to keep his head down to drink for longer than the other dogs would.

The dogs are happy with metal and I have peace of mind because they get a good scalding out in the dishwasher after use,thus hopefully keeping them free of any bacteria. Being a bit on the clumbsey side when I am in a rush to get things done, I know I am not going to break anything if I drop one of the metal bowls is another point in their favour too. The dogs haven't complained either :)

Like I said, not criticising anyone, but I would like to know why others do not like them?

I love ceramic bowls - for how they look, but we have hard granite worktops and terracotta tiles on the floor and a very clumsy person in charge (me) so they would end up in bits very quickly:cry*ing:

Please don't think I am criticising anyone else';s choice of bowls for their Cavaliers, but I am just wondering why some of you prefer ceramic to metal bowls. I use metal for all my dogs, water and food. I have the Royal Canin raised bowls set because Rebel likes to drink so much water, which means he has to keep his head down to drink for longer than the other dogs would.

The dogs are happy with metal and I have peace of mind because they get a good scalding out in the dishwasher after use,thus hopefully keeping them free of any bacteria. Being a bit on the clumbsey side when I am in a rush to get things done, I know I am not going to break anything if I drop one of the metal bowls is another point in their favour too. The dogs haven't complained either :)

Like I said, not criticising anyone, but I would like to know why others do not like them?

In our case Skippy is the one who doesn't like the metal bowls. I think he's afraid of the multiple moving reflections, especially when the bowl is filled with water.

I like the ceramic ones because they look nicer, the metal ones look sterile to me. I don't have a dishwasher, so I hand wash all my bowls in nice hot water anyway, so I've no fear of bacteria :)

Back