Thread: Great alternative to Elizabethan collar: Review of the BiteNot collar

Post Thanks / Like

Default Great alternative to Elizabethan collar: Review of the BiteNot collar

I have been meaning to post on this for awhile now. When my cav, Butters, was neutered in January, we were concerned about putting him in his crate with the Elizabethan collar. We looked for alternatives on the Internet and came across the BiteNot collar. It proved to be a great product! It prevented him from reaching his stitches and he was a pretty happy pup in it.

The collar fits comfortably on the neck, settling between the shoulders to behind the ears. It is very similar to a human C-spine collar in design. It has foam padding on the underside and firm plastic provides the central support. It is held together by velcro centrally, and there is an adjustable snap-together strap that runs behind the front legs so that the doggie can't pull it off. Putting it on and off was very easy, and did not frighten or bother Butters. There are many sizes available with very easy to understand sizing instructions. For him, we ordered the 4 x 18 and it was a perfect fit at age 7 months. Butters didn't even notice it was there and was able to sleep, eat, walk (indoors and outdoors), and chew on his bones comfortably. He made no fuss while wearing it in his crate. It made the recovery from his neutering a breeze! Additionally, the collar was fairly affordable ($26.99 plus $8.06 on Amazon).

I did not like was it was a bit heavy (but similar in weight to the Elizabethan collar). This was only a problem for him when he first came home after the surgery. Putting it on him that evening, he was falling over while sitting! Once the anesthesia wore off, this was no longer a problem. Just a caution in the hours after surgery Also, this would not be as good as the Elizabethan collar for cavs who are having foot/leg surgery. Butters was still able to lick his paws and legs with the collar on.

Overall, I would highly recommend this product for the recovery after neutering or spaying! Here are some photos of Butters modeling the BiteNot collar

Butters wearing his BiteNot collar and watching Daddy shovel by LSidari, on Flickr

BiteNot model by LSidari, on Flickr

My little model by LSidari, on Flickr

Post Thanks / Like

He really is cutest thing. I wanna jump thur the pictures and just love on him. Nice tip tho...not that I actually own a cavalier maybe one day.
    Melissa

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

That looks really good. There are quite a few good different ones on the market - I like the look of these

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...s/softe-collar

[we are hoping to stock them soon in the Cavalier gift shop ]

Lovely photos - what a cutie!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    That looks really good. There are quite a few good different ones on the market - I like the look of these

http://www.companyofanimals.co.uk/pr...s/softe-collar

[we are hoping to stock them soon in the Cavalier gift shop ]

Lovely photos - what a cutie!
    I have them Nicki, just havn't advetised them yet. Will put them on after Crufts.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

The soft collars look like a good option too