Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Gus

Post Thanks / Like

Default Poor Gus

My poor Gus is not himself at all today He had back trouble (most likely discs but xrays when he was 2 yrs old were inconclusive) on and off, mostly off thankfully, when he was younger but there has been years between attacks.

He is 10 yrs and 3 months now and has got a little stiff in the last year or so but supplements worked wonders for him and brought him back to his lively self.

Yesterday he was very quiet and just sat around looking uncomfortable so I gave him something for pain last night but he is no better today and the poor little man is sitting against the press in the corner to hold himself up and won't move, he is falling asleep sitting up

I have an appointment at the vets for 11.15. please keep fingers crossed for us that it's nothing too serious....although I am thinking degenerative disc disease...

He is such a good little man and my first cavalier, we have him since he was 16 weeks and he is the gentlest soul.
    Last edited by pippa; 6th March 2012 at 10:56 AM.
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

My fingers are crossed for Gus.
    Margaret C

Cavaliers......Faith, The Ginger Tank and Woody.
    Japanese Chins.... Dandy, Benny, Bridgette and Hana.
    Remembered with love......... Tommy Tuppence and Fonzi

Post Thanks / Like

I hope everything goes well for you and Gus today.

Post Thanks / Like

Hope Gus is okay, let us know how you get on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Thinking of you and Gus. You feel so helpless when they are like this. Hopefully the vet can give you something that makes him more comfortable.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Oh, I hope they can give him something to make him feel comfortable. Unfortunately, steroids were the only thing that worked for Oliver when his discs were bothering him, but at least it was only short term. Good luck today. Poor Gus. You feel so helpless when they won't move.
    Bev
    Oliver (blenheim, born 3/2001), Riley (black & tan, born 8/2002,), Madison (ruby, born 9/2003), and Oz (tri-color, born 7/2007)

Post Thanks / Like

Well we are back home and the vet thinks he has spondylosis of the spine and at the moment has a disc compressing his spinal cord so he was in pain, he has to have weekly injections, can't remember the name of them (cart...something?) for a few weeks then monthly after that, he had one today and has metacam starting tomorrow for a few days and we have to keep him from climbing stairs and jumping on furniture, which won’t be easy when he is better! Lucky I’m off work still (with a similar problem) so can keep an eye on him! I have a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs and have been lifting him recently on and off the sofa when he wants to sit with us.

She said after a few days to walk him gently as a lot of owners make the mistake of keeping the dog from exercise altogether which is not good as it weakens the muscles. She also said to massage the leg muscles gently,BUT NO jumping at all anytime or stair climbing!
    He is asleep now, he cried the whole time in the vets waiting room, because he doesn't like it! but the poor little man doesn't complain when he is in pain (more proof the dogs will fuss for little things but DO hide pain!)
    She did the back foot test on him and he was having very little reaction
    We were told that if at any time he sits down and won't get up to get him in straight away, not even to waste time calling first as he would need an intravenous injection that has to be given in the first few hours at any sign of paralysis, which is a bit scary but right that we are aware of it.

She was totally amazed that at 10yrs and 3 months he has a perfect heart and lungs Such a shame he is so healthy and has this disc disease.

I am very upset and my husband said here this morning that when the terrible day comes that we don't have our three doggies, he doesn't want us to have cavaliers again, as it is heartbreaking with all the problems they have, DJ and Pippin both have had slight back issues in the past and Pippin has his other health problems. Gus was my healthy boy and now this

Thanks for the good wishes x

Post Thanks / Like

Hoping Gus has a speedy recovery. Sending gentle hugs.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by pippa View Post
    he has to have weekly injections, can't remember the name of them (cart...something?) for a few weeks then monthly after that,

Cartrophen Vet - product similar to Adequan.

http://www.cartrophen.com/

http://www.fortehealthcare.com/Irela...artrophen.html

http://www.drugs.com/vet/cartrophen-vet-can.html

Pat
    Pat B
    Atlanta, GA

Post Thanks / Like

Thank you so much for the link Pat,don't know why I couldn't remember the name of it, I will of course ask more questions next visit was a bit stunned today and more anxious to get Gus comfortable, do you have experience of degenerative disc disease or this drug?

Funnily enough I was diagnosed with early disc disease in my cervical spine recently, I'm 47, and I think I am more worried for Gus! Probably because I can of course verbalize my pain and stiffness and know what to do and not do. Poor Gus relies on us to see that he is doing ok.The vet did say that I seemed to have a fair knowledge of what was going on and said that I have kept the three of them a good weight so that is half the battle.