• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Rosie Back To The Vets

Brian M

Hi

Over the last two weeks I have taken all four to the Vets for an anal gland check and a physical as I was
concerned with a couple of issues with them but all turned out OK .They all go to the groomers on Sat so
every night I have been giving them a good once over so lastly it was Rosie s turn I called and pointed to
sit by me she very reluctantly came over with a few whimpers but curled up head right down ,so I gently
whispered in her ears while i combed her ears then picked her up slowly to put her on her back as we always do
but def no she let out a lot of whimpers and yelped and jumped back on her bed .Oh no here we go again
OK see if she will follow me downstairs and jump outside ,yes to both so jump back in and come upstairs yes
then a reluctant yes but I had to lift her on the bed whi or impactedch she has ow jumped off and is under the bed .

My thoughts ,I know she has CM diag by full MRI by Martin D but she shows no sign of it nor pain and after
someweeks of crate rest she is back to chasing Pops and her ball ,her scan was 18 moths ago so back
to the vets with an idea of another back disc problem which showed up in the MRI or her anal glands had not
been done properly.I am happy it is nothing to do with SM but could be her CM playing up I dont know but we will
check her back then her glands then a rethink and last week after they were all checked I thought good well I know
the girl are all ok ,What a hope .
Thoughts or comments please

Today a nice old man.an ex retired deep sae captain , who lived on his own his wife died five years ago ,he was found dead today how awful the poor fella to pass away all alone ,and Dawns brother who lives in ST Austell Cornwall he goes in hosp for a day on Thurs then back
in Sun the a heart triple bypass monday ,it really gets to you and work has gone quiet as on Fri a job in Colwyn Bay finished
and we had to send six of our good lads home on garden leave ,unpaid of course
k

Hi Brian
Did you say Rosie was diagnosed with a disc problem? I don’t know if someone can give any advice on this, because Ebony has three degenerated discs and she was in a lot of pain but with crate rest and pain killers she has been as good as new and is running around like a lunatic chasing birds if I would let her. You would never know she has disc problem. But I have been told by my vet and Clare never to let her go up stairs again and not to let her jump up on the sofa for the rest of her life.

If Rosie has a disc problem would that be the same in regards to stairs and jumping up?

Hope the operation for dawns brother goes well on monday.

Hi Brian,

Hope Rosie will be ok. We were told today also never to let Gus climb stairs or jump on or off furniture or beds ever again because of his disc problems, maybe ask your vet for advice on this for Rosie.

best wishes, hope things are looking better for you all soon

Hi Sabby

Yep it came ti light on a sat morning in Aug 2010 so staright on to Axa the on to Chestergates who said Matin Deutschland woud see her that day as an emergency
money no object we went ,he twisted her pulled and did alsorts and not a sound then finally a full mri and I sat and waited there for 5 hours ,no sign of sm but yes with cm and two dislodged discs and strangely she was in no pain .SO home 2 months crate rest no jumping and no stairs and she has been fine since till tonight but we will take her back tomorrow and get her glands checked and her back again than go for another MRI I think.

Poor Rosie,
She really seems to be in some discomfort.
Yes, a trip to the vet is called for.I would keep her calm and relaxed and hopefully some pain relief tomorrow.
Is she the one with the luxating patella?let us know how she gets on.
Sins

Yep thats her her but on the day of surgery Ben decided not to

Shes the ruby that always cases Pops and has a ball in her mouth

Rgd

Bri

Lets see if the flare up is still there tomorrow. If it is,it'll give the vets a clearer picture of the source of the pain.
(not that we want her to be sore,but just for the vet to see the symptoms himself).
Hope you get some sleep yourself.
Sins

It's worth checking with your vet whether the 'no stairs' rule includes portable steps to enable Rosie to get up on the settee and bed herself. These are very shallow steps (three to get up to settee level) and Oliver (with spondylosis and wobbly back legs from SM) manages them very well - walks up them in the same way he walks on the ground, with no pressure on the spine. If I forget to put them out (I do have to get into my own bed at night!) he makes no effort to jump, just sits and waits or will come and fetch me to put them in place!

Hope you get Rosie sorted, and your brother-in-law's op goes well.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Hello Brian,
I dont have advice for you but just wanted to send best wishes from Leo and I....it sounds like you're having a bit of a rough ride at the moment.
Hope all sorts out soon, give Rosie a gentle hug from Leo and I.

Hi Sabby

Yep it came ti light on a sat morning in Aug 2010 so staright on to Axa the on to Chestergates who said Matin Deutschland woud see her that day as an emergency
money no object we went ,he twisted her pulled and did alsorts and not a sound then finally a full mri and I sat and waited there for 5 hours ,no sign of sm but yes with cm and two dislodged discs and strangely she was in no pain .SO home 2 months crate rest no jumping and no stairs and she has been fine since till tonight but we will take her back tomorrow and get her glands checked and her back again than go for another MRI I think.

Hi Brian
It sounds that your Rosie after she made a good recovery last time is still jumping on your bed, sofa and running up the stairs. Is this right? If it is check with your vet if she should be jumping up on things and using stairs. With Ebony and some other dogs on this Forum with disc problems they all have a ban for life on these things.

Hi
We have an appointment with Mr Marsden who she saw 10 days ago so I will mention her anal glands and disc problem .When she saw Martin D at Chestergates it was Oct 2010 she also had a full MRI then. He gave me a CD disc with all her images on so I shall take that with me together with a copy of Martins report ,I am fussy about keeping paperwork ,he mentioned then that with Rosie "The MRI findings were consistent with intervertebral disc diseases at L6/L7 likely to be Hansen Type 1 but poss Type 2" and recommended room/crate rest and no jumping also Rimadyl 10mg for 28 days .So we shall see and if needed I will ask for another referral ,yet this morning she seemed back to normal and even let me carefully flip her on her tummy with no sound or appearence of being uncomfortable ,I wonder if Cartrophen injections might help I shall ask .

Just going back to Martins report he further commented "The scans revealed a moderate elongation of the cerebellar uvula which mildly protruded through the foramen magnum (Chiari-like malformation) which,in Rosie's case is not associated with the formation of Syringohydromyelia "is he saying in other words this is the phrase that has recently seemed so popular ie mild CM ?

Yet shortly after this if we view my little Ruby she is always the instigator of chasing our Pops as can be seen in the video below taken last July ,this little girl suffering with back problems she can ceratinly motor .I have ordered some steps and if they dont use them I might ,and Dawn is keeping a strict watch on her while I am at work .

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATL7xrMW58Y&feature=related

The enigma that is Cavalier King Charles Spaniels ?????????????
I felt so sorry for the old neighbour who passed on yesterday to think being a deep sea ships captain and the places he has been to
and the people he has met and yet his last minutes on this earth he was all on his own ,how sad.RIP

hi
sorry to hear you are having some problems sending you all best wishes
your girls are stunning give them a kiss and cuddle from louie and his mum

Hi
Well we went and Rosie saw Mr Marsden who gave her another thorough examination ,he only saw her ten days ago ,checked her anal glands
which were fine and then declared he could find absolutely nothing wrong with her .I think it must be me going bananas but honestly last night
she yelped so loud when I went to pick her up to groom her that Dawn heard her downstairs and yet today she dashed up the stairs around the garden
with Lily after her and is perfect in every way and I even groomed her tonight ,so I am lost for Ideas was it a trapped nerve or one of her discs
playing up I just dont know but I do know if she yelps again we will be back again at the Vets as she has no price and no money value as she is
my little baby Rosie who I would go to the Moon and back for every day of my life.

Poor Rosie, keeping fingers and paws crossed that it doesn't happen again. These dogs sure have a way of grabbing onto our hearts and keeping us on our toes.

Lets hope it's a once off Brian...maybe she just turned funny and twisted something? Glad she seems to be okay now:)

It may be no more than a pulled muscle, that hurts if she moves in a particular way. If she yelps again, you could try giving her a few days rest. If we pull a muscle we rest a bit more to give the inflammation time to calm down. Dogs can't make this decision for themselves, but we can make it for them. It sounds as if it doesn't hurt so much that it stops her doing what she wants to do, just catches her in particular situations, like being picked up quickly, perhaps with her hind legs stretched behind her for a moment (no criticism of you, Brian - we all scoop them up without thinking to groom them or cuddle them).

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back