• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

The Cavalier Matters Crufts team

I was there yesterday and today - bought things both days and I'm proudly wearing my SM Awareness bands, I bought 3! I was too shy to say anything really and no doubt will be by spending more money tomorrow :p

Stall looks lovely!! :)

I was there yesterday and today - bought things both days and I'm proudly wearing my SM Awareness bands, I bought 3! I was too shy to say anything really and no doubt will be by spending more money tomorrow :p

Stall looks lovely!! :)

I'm going to listen out for a Scottish accent today then!! Make sure you introduce yourself!!!

I was again too shy and again bought more stuff! Was my last day today after a long drive I'm home. Next time you should put on name tags as I'm not sure exactly who it was who served me! :p

Hope you have had a successful weekend, I'm sure of it as the stall was always filled with people :)

hi
it looks fantastic i wish i could have been there and well done to everyone that was involved

Funny, I have found few truly health focused breeders who are afraid of groups or individuals working for breed health. :rolleyes:

But many breeders will be 'tarred with the same brush' as long as the clubs do so little that the only way people get accurate information is by going to pet owner-run websites and while there's still so much denial about SM, or while you have a couple of well known US breeders this week on a public email list (including the main list admin!) telling pet owners they really needn't bother finding MRI-testing breeders (they can recommend their friends instead who have 'never had a case of SM'...they'd rather 'trust the line and what they've seen'... sound familiar? At least UK breeders, who have done a lot of testing and know the reality of how many are affected, are far better than that and credit to them, absolutely, for using testing programmes) and using totally misleading 'statistics' about the likelihood of affected dogs from certain types of breeding.

As more breeders make their commitment to health more visible by having dogs in MateSelect and listed with the BVA/KC CM/SM scheme, the easier it will be for buyers and those concerned about health to celebrate the good ones. :D I really look forward to that being a meaningful database. (y)

Even as a pet owner I have picked up very strongly that there is no love lost.

I've always thought that as a pet owner you have always had a curiously high famiiarity with individual show dogs and breeders and insight into what breeders might be thinking and doing! icon_nwunsure

Next time you should put on name tags as I'm not sure exactly who it was who served me! :p

That's a great idea -- it's always great to find out who people are in 'real life' :D. Maybe they'd also need to use their CavalierTalk username on the nametag too... :lol:

I had a great time on Friday.
My friend Kate and I shopped till we dropped. I very much enjoyed meeting everyone at the Cavalier Matters Stand and am happy to say I am now a member of the Companion Club offered by Margaret and was very interested to talk to Carol.

I must say Margaret and Carol it felt like I was meeting someone famous as I had seen you both on the telly! ;)

I think everything you are doing is brilliant and will help in anyway I can.

Madeleine

Hiya, haven't been on for a while as some of you will remember my son had a large thyroid tumour in his neck and yes it was malignant and he has had to have two surgeries to remove it and the thyroid. He has to go to Christies in afew weeks to have a radioactive iodine drink and then, fingers crossed, he will be ok. So I haven't had a lot of time to chat. But I'd like to take a moment out to congratulate Tania and the others on the stall, also Margaret and Carol, on all their hard work and constant struggle to create awareness of syringomyelia and mvd and to also thank them for all the support that they have given to me and many of us on this forum. It's people like you that really make a difference and may someday hopefully make cavaliers a healthy and pain free breed again. Also, someone told me today that there was a piece on the Crufts coverage about cavaliers and syringomyelia. Is this true and, if so, is there a link to it as I missed it and would love to see it.

I wish i had been able to go to Crufts but couldnt this year. The stall looks brilliant maybe it a good thing i didnt go otherwise i would have spent too much.Its really good to know that there are more breeders that are doing the health test and are really trying to improve the health and not letting this lovely breed die out because of health. Is there a list somewhere of the breeders that are testing as i lost my young boy aged only 6 yrs and am now worried about getting another one and have said never again but the thought of living without a cav just isnt right as i have had them for over 30 yrs now mainly pets but did a bit of showing but never bred

Margaret C on this forum knows most of the health-testing breeders and keeps a private list. Send her a private email and she'll probably be able to suggest someone.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

PS to Cavluvver - so pleased your son is doing well.

So sorry cavluvver about your son; hopefully all will be OK after the next procedure. We'll all be thinking of you and sending good wishes!

Yes Margaret is good to contact regarding puppies or I can refer you to someone in Ireland if you wanted to come across by ferry, Liz. :)

Thanks for your replies i will contact Margret i sometimes wish i was in Ireland when there are cavs to foster. The kennels i usually foster for seem to have managed to get a couple of the farmers to give up (well actually they relised that the pups werent selling and they were giving more and more to the kennels and it wasnt worth them carrying on) no doubt someone else will ask her to take some soon

If you're interested in fostering, I'm sure Many Tears, near Swansea, would love to hear from you! They get a lot of Cavaliers from puppy farms (I got my Aled through them), often older ex-breeding bitches who desperately need some tlc. They like them to be fostered (and eventually adopted) by households with other dogs who can take them under their - no, not wing! paw, and show them the ropes.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I really enjoyed being on the stall at Crufts. It was wonderful to be able to put faces to so many names from the forum and from the Companion Club facebook page.

The downside was so many stories of cavaliers with SM & some heartbreaking videos on mobile phones showing little dogs in obvious distress.

The upside was a great many very generous people shopping and donating and a good natured, hard working sales team of wonderful women led by the amazing Tania.

I was especially pleased to meet 'Spangly' aand her sister & really touched to receive the gift of 'Daniel the Spaniel' ( http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?40984-Daniel-the-Spaniel ), who from then on presided over the stall as Stall Mascot. Tania took some photos of him so I hope one will go up here when we all get ourselves sorted out again.

If anyone is looking for a puppy, I'm always happy to try & help although I am snowed under with emails at the moment so there may be a delay in replying.

Cavluvver, I will have my fingers crossed for your son and hope that things begin to get better and easier for you soon. We are thinking of you.

Last edited:
I was especially pleased to meet 'Spangly' aand her sister & really touched to receive the gift of 'Daniel the Spaniel' ( http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/showthread.php?40984-Daniel-the-Spaniel ), who from then on presided over the stall as Stall Mascot. Tania took some photos of him so I hope one will go up here when we all get ourselves sorted out again.

Daniel The Spaniel Does Crufts :-D

Daniel the Spaniel keeping an eye on his new owner.

6980122487_8e09ec1dc1_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Daniel the Spaniel taking a peek at the crowds.

6833992614_2e144ebb6e_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Daniel the Spaniel checking out the Jigsaws

6833988570_78827fd78b_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Daniel the Spaniel - dreaming of boiled eggs or has he got his eye on that pretty little Tri.

6833985352_f666aa534b_z.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Everyone Loves Daniel the Spaniel cl*p Best in Show

Last edited:
Ha! I'd have spent spent spent too... instead being 6000 miles away, I ordered a few things on the website but have my eye on a few other items too!

I bought some lovely items off your stall Keep up the good work ladies you are all an inspiration to many Cavalier owners xxxxx

Back