• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Bye bye little Mr.Harry

I originally read this yesterday and couldn't even respond I was so touched by your story; the bit about the rain just broke my heart because it is exactly what I would worry about. I've been thinking about you all night and hope you are ok! I know Harry is still with you whenever you need him!

Thank you everyone again, your words have helped me get through each day.

It's been a week and 4 days since I lost Harry. Writing it down I cannot believe it has only been a week and 4 days.. It feels like just yesterday I had him in my arms yet it feels like forever since I last saw him. He is now a beautiful memory...

Now sat at my desk in an empty room, he used to lie to my left side while I did college work etc.. the little heartbeat at my feet. Now he lays on my right side, in the garden, I can see him through my window. Knowing he is physically so close but I cannot see him or hold him just makes my heart ache.

I finally managed to find the words to say to write on his memorial plaque and have sent for it. I will post a picture when it arrives.

Thank you everyone once again.. that is all I can say for now :(

I am so sorry you have lost Mr. Harry. Harry has been a very lucky little dog to have someone like you love him so much. :hug:

This is such a beautiful and touching tribute to a very special and very much loved dog - he obviously adored you as you adored him, and having grown up together made that bond all the more special.

My heart goes out to you, sadly we have lost 8 Cavaliers now and they break your heart when they leave you - in time this dreadful pain does ease up and you start to remember the happy times you shared. I think you always carry a sadness though, but also all the love you shared - that never leaves you.

Perhaps you could put a photo of Harry in your bedroom so it doesn't feel quite so empty - maybe rearrange the furniture slightly so his resting spots are less obvious? I can't imagine how empty the house must be feeling, and you do not have the routine with feeding and walking [and medication] so feel that you have forgotten something all the time.

I think it is a really lovely idea to volunteer at the rescue centre, I know you prob won't feel ready quite yet, but it will really help to to have other dogs to cuddle and walk, and the rescue centres are always so grateful for help [and anything you can bear to part with like toys, beds etc - hard but isn't it wonderful that a special dog who doesn't know the love of a home could enjoy them?]

Keep in touch with us, and we hope you feel a bit better - give yourself time to grieve, he was truly a member of the family - and a very lucky boy to have such a loving home.

Dear Hannah

There is nothing worse in life than losing your best friend. The love of a Cavalier is so unlike anything else we can experience, hence why the loss is of such a magnitude. I lost Ben and Misty a few years ago and swore that I wouldn't go through that pain again.

Now I have Jasper, a 2 1/2 year old Ruby, who has been desperately ill recently with Immune mediated polyarthritis and is still a long way from being fully recovered. I have found that age tempers attitudes and forces us to find love that is without any conditions being applied to it or with expectations and for me, a Cavalier is the best way ever to achieve this joy in life.

I never expected that my boy would be so ill so young especially as he was screened for MVD, but now that we're dealing with IMP, we will make the best of our lives together and whilst I know that one day he will be gone, like you, I will make sure that every day I spend with him will be fun for him and that there are no regrets.

Harry, clearly had your love for many years and clearly gave back on an equal basis

Over time, the pain will ease, I promise, and as the pain eases, the memories will become good ones as you reflect on all the fun and joy that Harry brought to you.
Now is your time to grieve and to feel the loss, and rightly so. One day soon though, you will smile when you see an old photograph or walk past somewhere that you used to share with him and I'm sure that he wouldn't want you to remember him any other way than with a smile......

Take care

Pat & Jasper

So sorry you lost your boy. He sounds like he was really special dog. It sounds like he was very happy and content on his last day.

I'm so sorry, Hannah. It is really lovely you got to spend his last moments on this earth together, in peace and love in your home.:hug:

I understand how you feel. (My 13 year old "shadow" died a little over a week ago.) It sounds like Harry knew. He felt loved to the very end. His best friend was with him. You got everything right, everything! I understand how you miss the familiar sounds associated with him and yes, the feel of him. In Ireland, there is a term "anam cara" or soul-friend. It is the only term I know that can describe in any way the beauty & purity of the relationship between a person and their special dog. The grief has to be enormous, after so many years of loving.
A day will come when you will find yourself smiling at some memory of him. It will take a while, but that day will come. And then you will know that little Harry's anam has finally come to rest in your heart.

Back