• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Reverse "sneeze" help!

Adelya21

My dog is 10 months old and when he gets super excited he make the reverse sneeze noise. sometimes he can do it 2x after a break in between. me and my husband read that its not dangerous but should we take him to the vet over this?

The first time Sydney did this, I was beside myself with worry. It's really scary the first time it happens. I had never heard of a reverse sneeze before. I did take him to the vet, she told me it wasn't dangerous and there was no need to worry. Sydney only did this a few times. At this point, I wouldn't take him to the vet unless it happens very often, then you may want to see if there is another problem causing this, like allergies.

Should be alright, this happens to Brooky sometimes. If they are doing it a few times in a row, you can lightly close their mouth and tilt their head down. Sometimes that helps it to stop :)

Should be alright, this happens to Brooky sometimes. If they are doing it a few times in a row, you can lightly close their mouth and tilt their head down. Sometimes that helps it to stop :)

Elton does this a lot. I do the same thing. I try to teach him to breathe through his mouth. Should be ok but it can be scary.

When mine do this i cover their nose with my hand and make them breath through their mouth it always seems to work dont know if its the right thing

What makes it dangerous for some? Elton does this every day. He also really sneezes. When does it get to I should be doing something? Now I'm worried.

What makes it dangerous for some dogs is explained at http://cavalierhealth.org/brachycephalic.htm#Elongated_Soft_Palate under "Treatment". But briefly, if the palate blocks airflow too often, or if the dog is not able to pull out of it, the dog could suffocate.

Towards the end of PDE2 either a pug or a French bulldog had to have surgery to correct an elongated palate. The surgery was included in that broadcast. Obviously, that dog's condition was a danger to it and had to have the surgery.

In a 2010 report of throat surgeries on 155 Australian dogs, the cavalier was the most common breed (29 dogs, 18.7%). All of those cavaliers had an elongated soft palate surgeries.

Putting your finger over their nose usually helps,
I was told greyhounds are particularly known for reverse sneezing.

our B&T Gemma does this but we discovered she can do it at will !!!! or so it seems ,if one of the others are getting hugs and she cant get up she starts reverse sneezing ,if you tell her to stop she looks at you with the what who me i'm not doing anything eyes but she stops doing it ,at first we got quite frightened when she started doing this and after looking it up and realising what it was ,we just let it pass in its own time ,usually 15-20 seconds, but then noticed it happening more often when she was feeling left out !! i told her to stop one day and blow me if she did .After experimenting by holding the other dogs and not letting her up for her snuggle we realised what she was doing .I will have to film her and post some footage ,she still has the odd attack (very infrequently i may add) but most of the time it appears to be a choice thing !!!! she stops almost instantly when she is told ,granted we use a telling off tone of voice but she stops at least 95% off the time little minx that she is anyone else got a pooch that fakes things ? the other 4 dont seem to do this or we have never seen/heard them reverse sneeze

Back