• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eating Once a Day

Nalu

Is it OK for Nalu's health to only eat once a day? She has a poor appetite and she's been very difficult to feed in the morning but she's been eating her required dose in the evening. She recently turned two years old.

Last edited:
I am no expert ;) but I have heard a lot of people who have fussy cavs just feeding in the evening. That way they get their full food amount vs. not eating in the morning and only eating the dinner dose.

Someone else might have a more medical answer ;) but I know people who do just feed once a day.

Thanks for starting this, Nalu! I am wondering the same thing. My Rigby, who is about to turn one, has recently started losing interest in her food, although she switches between being fussy at breakfast and then sometimes at dinner. BrooklynMom you mentioned that some feed their dogs just in the evening - do you think it's better to only give a meal in the evening or only give one in the morning, or does it matter? Also, does anyone know an effective way to make this transition? I'm thinking gradually with a smaller meal in the morning, until nothing, etc. Thanks!

Guinness eats one big meal a day. Thistle usually prefers a small breakfast. I don't know why. Unless there's a health reason requiring frequent meals, or a young puppy, I wouldn't worry about it.

Our Sophie gobbles her food twice a day. She is a bottomless pit. I calculate how much she needs for her weight, divide it in half, and that is the amount for each meal. Her weight is perfect. I think dogs are like people, though. Some are not breakfast eaters, some are. As long as your dog is getting the correct amount, there is probably nothing to worry over.

Back