• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Help - Odd Bump by Outside of Ear

BeBe

BB has a bump on the outside of her ear, overall she is acting normal and nothing seems off. I had planned getting to the vet this week but was not overly worried about the situation (noticed it Sunday evening). Today, BB was at daycare and they noticed the bump, brought it to my attention and mentioned that she is very young to get a bump like this and seemed worried.

I took a picture - it is a little red because she has been scratching the area. Is this something that could be cancer in a 4 month old or is it more likely to be something else? Not sure if I should be more worried - we will be getting to the vet as quickly as possible but will be Thursday.

Bump by Ear by BB Cavalier Pics, on Flickr

This could be a histiocytoma (a benign skin growth common in young dogs), in my experience they resolve on their own.

It could be a spider bite, or a place where a tick attached and has now detached.

If she shows any symptoms like lethargy, or clumsiness, or seems "sad" bring her in to a vet. Otherwise, when you're in later this week have your vet get a look at it. 99% it's nothing to worry about. Cancer is extremely unlikely.

Warts are also very common in Cavaliers, especially around the neck. Usually they don't cause any problems, but Oliver's harness rubbed one on his chest and made it look like your picture - perhaps BB's collar rubs there, and scratching makes it worse? With Oliver's, I just kept it clean with mild antiseptic (my ever-to-hand wych hazel!), made sure the scab didn't get knocked off, and when the scab fell off naturally the skin underneath was fine.

But, as Soushiruiuma says, any unusual behaviour, consult your vet.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

We went to the vet yesterday and it is a histiocytoma which thankfully is a benign growth. BB will be getting spayed next month so unless it gets larger it will be removed during that time. Thanks for the help staying calm until the vet appt.

Soushiruiuma the vet said the same thing as you - could resolve on its own but can take it off at the surgery if needed!

Hi

My Rosie had one which was expertly diagnose by Ruth (thanks again Ruth ) and it caused her no trouble and
disappeared on its own with a month or so and now my Daisy has a little wart (thanks to Kate for the diag on this )
on her side and all I do is keep an eye on it in case it develops .
What wonderful experst we have here we are lucky .

Back