• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Beanie's MVD

CVFlagg

Hi! I have been dealing with the advancement of my sweet Beanie's MVD over the past few months but just now getting around to posting about it. Thought I would share what we have been and are doing and any advice is always appreciated! She is under the care of the cardiology team at Texas A & M Small Animal Hospital so I have now doubt she is getting the best care possible, if only I could avoid the speeding tickets I keep getting on my way down there!

Beanie is 12 and has a grade 3 murmur but developed a cough in late December. We took her down to A&M where they did x-rays and an echo (she had previously had an echo in April 2011) and sadly they said her heart disease had advanced pretty rapidly from April '11 to January '12 but she was NOT yet in CHF. Her heart is very enlarged and pushing on the traechea causing the coughing so they put her on a bronchodilator to help with that which it has. They also started her on Enalapril and a blood pressure medication, Amlodipine, as we discovered she had high blood pressure while there. Go down for one thing, come back a whole slew of problems!

Any way, she has been on that cocktail for close to two months now but I noticed over the weekend her respiratory rate had increased and she had begun having these odd tremors so we went to the regular vet yesterday. She did x-rays and sent them down to A&M and this morning they said her heart had enlarged since her visit in January :( We are going to do a trial of Lasix and trend her breathing for 24 hours to see if that helps, they think it is a possibility there is some very minor edema that they just can't see and if there is, thinking Lasix could help. We are also going to switch bronchodilators as well to see if the tremors stop. The cardiologist said honestly that they all might cause tremors but it didn't hurt to give another one a shot. Good thing is that she is eating very well and is still active so no signs that she is in trouble but poor thing shakes like a leaf when we go to the vet or A&M so just hate bringing her in. We are due to go back to A&M in June for a recheck, assuming nothing happens before that. Please keep sweet Beanie in your thoughts!

Just want you to know that I'm thinking of you and Beanie. I know what you're going through. Sydney has a grade 5/6 murmur and is struggling with MVD, CHF, and PAH. It is so hard to watch them struggle. He gets a cocktail of 11 medications 2x a day. Believe it or not, he still has days that he acts like a puppy, though those are few. The only thing we can do is give them the best possible care and all the love in the world.

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Keeping you and Beanie in my thoughts and hope that this new treatment will help her be more comfortable. :hug:

Oh that's tough, but sure sounds like you are getting fantastic and very detailed car for Beanie. I hope she improves on the new meds -- you still have a few you can introduce, too, so you have some options. I really hate MVD. :(

Poor Beanie. It is so hard to see them suffer. Have you tried giving her something like Rescue Remedy in her water before taking her to the vet- it might help her nervousness.
I hope the change of drugs help her and believe me, you are not alone on the forum - there are lots of us going through various stages of illness with our dogs.

Just to update, I think we are doing well on the current medicine regime! Her cough has really subsided and her respiratory rate has regulated so we are not see the high spikes we were and her blood pressure is normal. She is currently on Lasix, Enalapril, Turbutaline (bronchiodilator) and Amlodapine (for blood pressure). I had to Amlodopine compounded which is awesome! Don't know if any of you have ever had to give that pill but it was tiny and I was supposed to cut it in half-no matter what cutting utensil I used half of the dang pill would crumble! So, hopefully this routine will help us for a while.

On a sad note, a friend of mine had her Cavalier diagnosed with full blown CHF this morning. She is taking it in stride but obviously so distraught :(

I'm so glad Beanie seems more comfortable with her new medication regime. One of my dogs (Riley) has advanced SM, but MVD, CHF, and PAH scare me much more than SM do. Right now I have three oldies that are all cardiologist tested heart clear - don't know how we have defied the odds on that one! My youngest has a congenital murmur which has not progressed since it was diagnosed at 5 months of age (he's almost 5). His cardiologist says it may never progress any further. I've got my fingers crossed, that's for sure!!!

I hope Beanie has many, many more happy, healthy times with you.

That's great news! It is always a relief to to get a good mix of meds that start to work. :)

Bev there must be something in the water! :lol: What a fantastic heart record.

Yes, Bev, bottle some of that water and send it to the rest of us!

I spoke with the doctor at A & M today and he wants us to do another chem panel and thoracic x-rays before he refills her medications. Just checking to ensure the meds are not hurting any of her other organs and that she has not gone into CHF being masked by meds. He is very thorough, which I can't complain about! We'll see the vet tomorrow afternoon :)

I understand your pain too well myself, my girl will be 8 on June 1ST. Isabelle just got diagnosed 3 weeks ago, I have been struggling with the meds too. But switched my Cardio Dr and it has made all the difference in the world. Plus my regular vet has been with us on this whole journey and has been extremely helpful. So far she has a Grade 4 murmur but she does have a severe case of MVD with an enlarged heart. So far she is not in CHF and has no fluid on her lungs. She is not coughing or gagging or showing signs like that. My doctor was amazed seeing as her MDV is severe, but believes that her heart is compensanting the issues. Her appetite is still good. But It has been real stressful on me. I have sleepless nights, because I am always checking and making sure she is breathing ok. My heart is so scared of what this disease can do to our loved babies. I can't eat, or sleep am so stressed at times. But then with all the love and support from everyone i begin to draw strength. Two in a half years ago she also was diagnosed with SM which she has been doing well with. However i have noticed sometimes she will growl, she never has displayed this sort of behavior. She is the most loving dog i have ever had. It has got better, It was happening the most when she was first gave all these pills from the first Dr. I believe she was toxic overdose and her body was reacting. Her breathing was terrible rapid, but when my vet switched the dosage and sent me to a different Cardio she has been better. On occasion her breathing will be elevated but she was just seen yesterday they did X rays and echo and some other things and she had no fluid, so I do not know why her heart rate was elevated. Still learning myself. I hope your journey will go well and your in my prayers.

Blessings,
Pamela/ Isabelle

Pamela - it is not fair that Isabelle got hit with both SM and MVD. I understand a dog getting one, but certainly not both. I'm so sorry. Hopefully her MVD meds will settle her down soon.

And how did Beanie's last visit go?

Yes, Thank you, it was hard two in a half years when she got SM. But now MVD, it has been difficult. I can say that the SM was a walk in the park, she has done well with that. But this MVD is a whole different change of living for her. She is such a special girl, I love her so much. I will try my best to help her be as comfortable as possible, and enjoy her for as long as the good Lord allows. Thank you so much for you're caring heart, it helps to know people care and give their support.

Blessings,
Pamela

Pamela- so sorry to hear about Isabelle. It really is the worst disease to have to watch your beloved dog go through. Beanie sometimes has elevated breathing with no other symptoms and my cardiologist said it can happen some times when they are stressed or have anxiety, usually not even related to the MVD. The medicine mix is such a challenge but I plan on playing the game until I don't think Beanie is up for it anymore. I only got Beanie 4 years ago when she was 8 years old as a rescue from a "breeder" (term used loosely) so I have to take solace in the fact that the past 4 years have been wonderful for her, she got out of that bad environment she was raised in and has only known love since she has been with me. I work from home so she is very rarely alone and is at my heels at all times. I will be keeping Isabelle in my thoughts and prayers.

Beanie goes down to A&M to see the cardiologist on May 8. Hoping for a good report that the medications are working :)

Back