• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

I'm sick of my dogs being sick :(

Oh goodness Shirley I'm so sorry, what a horrendous time for you :( It's good to hear that Trapper is doing a bit better - and if it is "just" bronchitis that might be good news.

It can be very hard to get the balance of medication right for MVD - the cardiologists are excellent at doing that which is why we recommend them but know that it is not always possible to visit with them.

There is an old fashioned diuretic, Co-amilozide a combination of amiloride and hydrochlorothiazide. Brand name Moduret 25 or Moduretic, which can be very effective at shifting the fluid, particularly belly fluid. I know of one Cavalier in particular who sadly was doing really badly and after starting this, about 6 months ago, is doing brilliantly - and actually went for a proper walk yesterday!

The key thing is that Trapper is happy, and hopefully having more good days than bad now - it's awful to have to think of these things especially when they are at crisis point, but we need to be prepared [and also decide what we want to happen if we do have to let them go - cremation etc, perhaps helping out by putting them through teh Cavalier Collection Scheme http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/Syringomyelia/Collection_scheme/ ]

Yes like you I am so down with having to manage health issues - it would be so nice to have dogs we could just enjoy...

You are in my thoughts, really hope that you will have them both for a long time yet xx Thank goodness we have this forum and can help and support each other.

A bit of an update:
Trapper is holding his own at the moment - thank goodness :) he is still coughing a bit and his breathing isn't exactly brilliant, but he is much better than I thought he could be and is eating and drinking as he normally does.
One thing that is bothering me now is that he seems a bit lost in himself. I often find him just standing still, as if he doesn't know what he should do next - like he is bewildered or confused. Today I found him standing under the piano stool, facing towards the piano. Not trying to get out, just standing still. I wonder is he behaving like this because he isn't getting enough oxygen to his brain and therefore doesn't really know what he is doing? We have a vet appointment on Friday and I'll discuss it then but I was wondering if anyone else has found their dogs behaving in a similar way?

The key thing is that Trapper is happy, and hopefully having more good days than bad now - it's awful to have to think of these things especially when they are at crisis point, but we need to be prepared [and also decide what we want to happen if we do have to let them go - cremation etc, perhaps helping out by putting them through teh Cavalier Collection Scheme http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co.uk/Syringomyelia/Collection_scheme/ ]

Yes like you I am so down with having to manage health issues - it would be so nice to have dogs we could just enjoy...

You are in my thoughts, really hope that you will have them both for a long time yet xx Thank goodness we have this forum and can help and support each other.

Thanks Nicki, totally agree re the support etc.
With regard to the Cavalier Collection scheme, sadly, Trapper isn't suitable. Hopefully when Bosco's time comes, he will be able to help - as he has been MRI'd.

I'm sorry about Trapper, very hard to see them like that. It could be lack of oxygen, possibly the tablets themselves? It's good that you are going to see the vet on Friday.

I know you already know this! but write down exactly what you are seeing, how many times a day etc, anything immediately prior - eating/excitement etc.

There is a condition called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome - similar to Alzheimers in people. The dog tends to get stuck in corners, go to the wrong side of the door [the hinge side], often toilet training seems to be lost, they can behave inappropriately.

There's lots of info about it on here..sadly the drug they mention isn't available over here [Amipryl] yet i don't think...only in the US. Selgian tends to be used instead.

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swift...ysfunction.htm

Rupert suffered with CCDS for the last year and a half of his life, it was quite distressing as he would wake me up in the night, and would frantically paw at my leg but he didn't know what he wanted, didn't want a drink or out or anything. He was much better once he was started on Vivitonin which increases the blood flow to the brain and seems to have the reputation of being a miracle drug when it works! It really helped him. [they can't take Vivitonin and Selgian at the same time.]

Hope this helps a bit, something to mention to the vet anyway.,

I don't think they have to have had an MRI now - I will check with Tania or Margaret as I'm not sure what dogs they are looking for at present. It's lovely of you to consider it though - I know it's horrid to think about and not the easiest thing to do at the time, but it is such a comfort afterwards that their passing was not in vain, that they have gone on to help our beloved breed. Already there has been at least one study which ONLY happened due to the scheme, the results of which give hope for better pain management in the future.

My understanding (and I've enrolled Oliver) is that the Cavalier Collection scheme isn't only for dogs with diagnosed SM. It provides tissue samples for a number of research projects, including the MVD research at Edinburgh University and pancreatitis and diabetes research at Cambridge, as well as the SM genetics project at Montreal. So if you felt OK about it, Trapper could be really helping future Cavaliers not to suffer from MVD as he has.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Thanks Kate and Nicki - donating tissue for other diseases would be a good idea and I've started to make enquiries. Hopefully this is something that can be arranged from Ireland.
Nicki that link about CCDS is very interesting, thank you. I've read through it and at the moment, Trapper is showing two of the symptoms - disorientation and house training problems. I think it would be reasonable at this stage to explain the disorientation as being part of his cardiac and pulmonary problems due to an insufficient oxygen supply getting to his brain, and the house training problems due to the diuretics that he takes. But I will definitely discuss it with my vet tomorrow and if more of the symptoms appear as they did with poor Rupert, then I think he could have CCDS.

Glad it helped - I think you are right though there are other explanations for his behaviour but the Vivitonin might well help with that.

I know another wee Cavalier went through the CCS in the Dublin area, so I'm sure it could be arranged when sadly that day arrives, it will just need a bit more planning - so if you feel that you would like to go ahead, it would be good to speak to Margaret or Tania to see what can be arranged.

Sorry to hear about Trapper having problems, but so glad to see that he is improving now.

My almost 10 years old Rebel has had one of these 'episodes'. Initially I had a word with an experienced vet who moderates another Cavalier Forum. She recommended that I see my vet, but thought it was probably a petite mal, a form of minor epilepsy. I saw my own vet later in the day, who examined him carefully, but could not make a definite diagnosis. She too thought it could be a petite mal. No specific treatment was given, but because of the pressure pain from his SM he is now permanently on 6 mgs daily, and hopefully reducing to 4 mgs, Metacam. That was 3 or 4 weeks ago and apart from an eye problem he has been absolutely fine.

I wonder if Metacam could help Trapper too?

Back from the vets, nothing major to report - he thinks that Trapper's behaviour is most likely due to his heart beating more slowly at times, which then reduces the oxygen to the his brain.
I've also just been speaking to UCD vet school, and when the time comes,:cry*ing: they would be happy to have Trapper's body, which they would use for both teaching purposes and research in the pathology labs. This is something I need to discuss more with the family to be sure everyone is ok with it. In theory I'm keen to do this, in practice I hope so too.

MVD and CHF is such a long hard battle for our dogs, thank goodness cavaliers have such happy personalities and just get on with it - as has been said before, they don't know they are sick. Every time I take Bosco out for his walk I feel so guilty leaving Trapper behind :(

Just to say I'm thinking of you, there's nothing worse than having sick dogs and feeling a bit helpless. Try not to feel guilty when you take Bosco out- that's the wonder of dogs- and why we love them so much-they are so accepting!
Take care.

Thinking of you xx maybe you could get or borrow a stroller to take Trapper with you, but he'll probably get used to staying behind, he should get extra cuddles later:)

Thanks for your good wishes.
Thinking of you xx maybe you could get or borrow a stroller to take Trapper with you, but he'll probably get used to staying behind, he should get extra cuddles later:)
He always gets a chewy treat when we go out so I suppose it's not all bad for him - just my guilty conscience.

I think we worry about how they feel when sometimes they are fine with it:) We live with guilt!

It's good to hear that he is doing ok Shirley - I know what you mean about leaving someone at home, you do feel guilty but if he has a nice chew and lots of cuddles when you get home, I'm sure he doesn't mind too much. It's only fair on Bosco that he still has his walks anyway - and some one to one time.

I know you have to think through what you want to do when the worst happens, and speak to your family as it's something you must all agree with and want to do. It sounds like UCD are talking about for their own research purposes rather than the Cavalier Collection Scheme? If you were still thinking about the CCS then perhaps you could contact Margaret or Tania, or Karlin as I think she may have the contacts.

I hope it will be a long time yet but it's good to be prepared and make these decisions at a slightly less emotional time.

Back