Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: I'm sick of my dogs being sick :(

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh goodness Shirley I'm so sorry, what a horrendous time for you It's good to hear that Trapper is doing a bit better - and if it is "just" bronchitis that might be good news.

It can be very hard to get the balance of medication right for MVD - the cardiologists are excellent at doing that which is why we recommend them but know that it is not always possible to visit with them.

There is an old fashioned diuretic, Co-amilozide a combination of amiloride and hydrochlorothiazide. Brand name Moduret 25 or Moduretic, which can be very effective at shifting the fluid, particularly belly fluid. I know of one Cavalier in particular who sadly was doing really badly and after starting this, about 6 months ago, is doing brilliantly - and actually went for a proper walk yesterday!

The key thing is that Trapper is happy, and hopefully having more good days than bad now - it's awful to have to think of these things especially when they are at crisis point, but we need to be prepared [and also decide what we want to happen if we do have to let them go - cremation etc, perhaps helping out by putting them through teh Cavalier Collection Scheme http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co...ection_scheme/ ]

Yes like you I am so down with having to manage health issues - it would be so nice to have dogs we could just enjoy...

You are in my thoughts, really hope that you will have them both for a long time yet xx Thank goodness we have this forum and can help and support each other.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

A bit of an update:
    Trapper is holding his own at the moment - thank goodness he is still coughing a bit and his breathing isn't exactly brilliant, but he is much better than I thought he could be and is eating and drinking as he normally does.
    One thing that is bothering me now is that he seems a bit lost in himself. I often find him just standing still, as if he doesn't know what he should do next - like he is bewildered or confused. Today I found him standing under the piano stool, facing towards the piano. Not trying to get out, just standing still. I wonder is he behaving like this because he isn't getting enough oxygen to his brain and therefore doesn't really know what he is doing? We have a vet appointment on Friday and I'll discuss it then but I was wondering if anyone else has found their dogs behaving in a similar way?
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post

The key thing is that Trapper is happy, and hopefully having more good days than bad now - it's awful to have to think of these things especially when they are at crisis point, but we need to be prepared [and also decide what we want to happen if we do have to let them go - cremation etc, perhaps helping out by putting them through teh Cavalier Collection Scheme http://www.veterinary-neurologist.co...ection_scheme/ ]

Yes like you I am so down with having to manage health issues - it would be so nice to have dogs we could just enjoy...

You are in my thoughts, really hope that you will have them both for a long time yet xx Thank goodness we have this forum and can help and support each other.
    Thanks Nicki, totally agree re the support etc.
    With regard to the Cavalier Collection scheme, sadly, Trapper isn't suitable. Hopefully when Bosco's time comes, he will be able to help - as he has been MRI'd.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I'm sorry about Trapper, very hard to see them like that. It could be lack of oxygen, possibly the tablets themselves? It's good that you are going to see the vet on Friday.

I know you already know this! but write down exactly what you are seeing, how many times a day etc, anything immediately prior - eating/excitement etc.

There is a condition called Canine Cognitive Dysfunction Syndrome - similar to Alzheimers in people. The dog tends to get stuck in corners, go to the wrong side of the door [the hinge side], often toilet training seems to be lost, they can behave inappropriately.

There's lots of info about it on here..sadly the drug they mention isn't available over here [Amipryl] yet i don't think...only in the US. Selgian tends to be used instead.

http://www.swiftwaterfarms.com/swift...ysfunction.htm

Rupert suffered with CCDS for the last year and a half of his life, it was quite distressing as he would wake me up in the night, and would frantically paw at my leg but he didn't know what he wanted, didn't want a drink or out or anything. He was much better once he was started on Vivitonin which increases the blood flow to the brain and seems to have the reputation of being a miracle drug when it works! It really helped him. [they can't take Vivitonin and Selgian at the same time.]

Hope this helps a bit, something to mention to the vet anyway.,

I don't think they have to have had an MRI now - I will check with Tania or Margaret as I'm not sure what dogs they are looking for at present. It's lovely of you to consider it though - I know it's horrid to think about and not the easiest thing to do at the time, but it is such a comfort afterwards that their passing was not in vain, that they have gone on to help our beloved breed. Already there has been at least one study which ONLY happened due to the scheme, the results of which give hope for better pain management in the future.

Post Thanks / Like

My understanding (and I've enrolled Oliver) is that the Cavalier Collection scheme isn't only for dogs with diagnosed SM. It provides tissue samples for a number of research projects, including the MVD research at Edinburgh University and pancreatitis and diabetes research at Cambridge, as well as the SM genetics project at Montreal. So if you felt OK about it, Trapper could be really helping future Cavaliers not to suffer from MVD as he has.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Kate and Nicki - donating tissue for other diseases would be a good idea and I've started to make enquiries. Hopefully this is something that can be arranged from Ireland.
    Nicki that link about CCDS is very interesting, thank you. I've read through it and at the moment, Trapper is showing two of the symptoms - disorientation and house training problems. I think it would be reasonable at this stage to explain the disorientation as being part of his cardiac and pulmonary problems due to an insufficient oxygen supply getting to his brain, and the house training problems due to the diuretics that he takes. But I will definitely discuss it with my vet tomorrow and if more of the symptoms appear as they did with poor Rupert, then I think he could have CCDS.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Glad it helped - I think you are right though there are other explanations for his behaviour but the Vivitonin might well help with that.

I know another wee Cavalier went through the CCS in the Dublin area, so I'm sure it could be arranged when sadly that day arrives, it will just need a bit more planning - so if you feel that you would like to go ahead, it would be good to speak to Margaret or Tania to see what can be arranged.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear about Trapper having problems, but so glad to see that he is improving now.

My almost 10 years old Rebel has had one of these 'episodes'. Initially I had a word with an experienced vet who moderates another Cavalier Forum. She recommended that I see my vet, but thought it was probably a petite mal, a form of minor epilepsy. I saw my own vet later in the day, who examined him carefully, but could not make a definite diagnosis. She too thought it could be a petite mal. No specific treatment was given, but because of the pressure pain from his SM he is now permanently on 6 mgs daily, and hopefully reducing to 4 mgs, Metacam. That was 3 or 4 weeks ago and apart from an eye problem he has been absolutely fine.

I wonder if Metacam could help Trapper too?
    Warmest wishes
    Flo & the ByFloSin Cavaliers
    Winston Alexander,Little Joe & Holly Poppet
    Birmingham, UK

Post Thanks / Like

I hope Trapper gets on ok with the vet this morning and you get some positive news
    Sue

Darcy - Blenheim - 17th Sept 2005
    'Life is a balance of holding on and letting go'

Post Thanks / Like

Best of luck at the vets today
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)