• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Session Today at the AAHA Annual Meeting in Denver

Pat

Just FYI, the session below is taking place this afternoon at the American Animal Hospital Association annual convention:

Neurological Diseases of Young Cats and Dogs
Simon Platt, BVMS, MRCVS, DACVIM
Thursday, March 15, 2012 from 2:40pm-3:30pm

Young cats and dogs can be affected by infectious, congenital anomalies, metabolic dysfunctions, and degenerative diseases. This lecture will review these conditions with respect to their clinical presentations and discuss the diagnostic and therapeutic approaches. Specific time will be allotted to the discussion of Chiari like malformation and syringomyelia in the dog as this is becoming a common problem for veterinarians in practice to deal with.

Let's hope that there are lots of GP vets attending. Some of you may recall that when I attended three different sessions at the AVMA conference almost two years ago (including one by Dewey and one by Shores), there was very sparse attendance compared with other sessions.

Dr. Platt is at the University of Georgia, and I met him when he did the MRI for my older boy for the Rupert's Fund project. He is a lovely man.

Pat

Too bad it's not being streamed like a few presentations yesterday. The one on pain management yesterday was a little too generalized for the owner with CM/SM dogs. But it had a few good points.

One was that the level of pain a dog can tolerate could be based upon the dog's genetics.

Another: pain pathways in dogs and cats are similar to ours, so if we know when to expect pain and at what level for ourselves, we often can assume that dogs and cats will be affected similarly.

More: Colorado State University has published a pain scale chart,(which I have not searched for yet).

The key to assessing pain in a dog is to assess the dog's behavior; know the species, know the breed and know the individual animal.

Some symptoms of pain are:

-- prefers not to be petted
-- accidents in the house
-- walks are shorter or slower
-- appetite change -- not eating as well
-- appears to be lazy.

-- facial expressions:
--- ears lowered
--- eyes stare into space
--- facial muscle tension

But: -- but many dogs are "pleasers" and won't display the pain they may feel (this sounds like the "stoic" argument -- apparently there is something to it.)

Crying or whining rarely are signs of pain in dogs and cats.

The overall key is behavioral.

Last edited:
Too bad it's not being streamed like a few presentations yesterday.

I was disappointed by their streaming choices - basically I suppose they aren't going to give away anything valuable for free! But I suppose that's reasonable.

I was just looking at the sessions at this year's AVMA convention in San Diego - from what I can tell, Dr. Platt is the only neurologist who is presenting and there are no sessions on CM/SM although there is a great looking session on vestibular disease. Looks like no conventions in Atlanta scheduled for the next several years - makes me sad.....

Pat

I was disappointed by their streaming choices - basically I suppose they aren't going to give away anything valuable for free! But I suppose that's reasonable.

I was just looking at the sessions at this year's AVMA convention in San Diego - from what I can tell, Dr. Platt is the only neurologist who is presenting and there are no sessions on CM/SM although there is a great looking session on vestibular disease. Looks like no conventions in Atlanta scheduled for the next several years - makes me sad.....

Now, now, Pat. There is always winning the lottery and buying a jet.

One important thing learned from the dental presentation yesterday was that x-rays are important for a thorough examination of the condition of the dog's teeth.

Back