• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

would you do it all over again?

Hopefully breeder focus on health will also tie in to understanding better that breeding below the ages at which early onset problems start to be seen on average (the 2.5-3 year recommendations), is the same as not testing at all

It would seem that health representatives believe that quoting numbers of heart tests performed at dog shows ( how many of those dogs would be under two and a half ?) somehow proves that there are plenty of tested cavaliers available.

A book of Cavalier Statistics for 2011 show that 51% of show litters have at least one parent under two and a half years.
So that is over half of those litters out of the equation if someone is looking for a puppy from properly health tested parents.

So among the other 49% how many will have official eye certificates and heart and MRI scans done after the age of 30 months?
How many would comply with the MVD and SM health protocols that are part of the UK Cavalier Club's Code of Good Practice?

To get an idea we could start with the health representatives. They will surely set the standard in ethical breeding, especially the gentleman who has written "So I find it beyond comprehension that the author of this statement can't find a tested cavalier."

I looked up his last three registered litters in the Kennel Club Breed Record Supplement:

A 13 month dog mated to a 19 month bitch. The dog does not have any eye test shown on the KC website.

A 19 month dog mated to a 4 year old bitch.

The same 13 month dog mated to a 3 year 3 month bitch having her third litter.

On this evidence I would advise the puppy buyers that come to me not to touch this breeder with a barge pole. I would not consider these the actions of a responsible breeder nor would I consider these litters came from properly health tested parents.

I'm seriously thinking of not having any more dogs, I am very unlucky with them healthwise and I would have freedom to do other things.

I have taken on rescue dogs knowing they have health problems and I can mentally prepare myself & cope with their illnesses. But not when my own dogs develop something expected & awful when you hoped they would have a long healthy life.

Going through the final stages of MVD with a dog that should easily have lived several more years as otherwise her health was perfect, and watching her confusion and distress at why she increasingly could do so little, was very difficult. Owners find it becomes so hard to do much day to day -- you don't want to leave them very long, and for months to years, your life ends up being truncated by these often long term endemic illnesses in the breed. I dread knowing my most affected SM dog (which has created 7 years of background worry on its own) also has an advancing heart murmur as well.

I found it hard having my 11 year old Sm affected dog put to sleep as she did not have MVD or any other health problem ( not a cavalier) I knew if it wasnt for my decision she could have lived for years. the same with my dog who had a back injury , he was 11 and otherwise healthy so I felt guilt about wether I had made the right decision ( & the vet made a mess of it )
But having had a few dogs with mvd I know If i hadnt had them put to sleep they would have died in a few weeks anyway , they would not have gotten better so it was easier to accept.

One of mine has a pattella problem but he has so many other issues ( mvd being one )I have to make every decision thinking " well he might not be here in a year or two so is it worth putting him through x y z " you should not have to think like that with a 6 year old, they should potentially have another 10 years ahead of them.

But having had a few dogs with mvd I know If i hadnt had them put to sleep they would have died in a few weeks anyway , they would not have gotten better so it was easier to accept.

Yes that is true -- knowing the right moment is hard but yes, I agree with you and think like many others here, that it is always better to let them go in minimal distress and before symptoms are really dire. The timeline is limited and at a certain point, there won;t be any great improvement. But then you weigh that against the fact that they can recover and do well for months, even a year or more... on the right mix of meds etc. I had thought I was on the last days with Lucy but she rallied; we put her on Prilactone and she hugely improved back to where she was before symptoms significantly worsened and she had a comfortable 4 months more and passed away quietly in her sleep (she was still curled in a ball in her bed, and the night before had been her happy self, eager for her bedtime treats).

I have to make every decision thinking " well he might not be here in a year or two so is it worth putting him through x y z " you should not have to think like that with a 6 year old, they should potentially have another 10 years ahead of them.

Fully agree -- this is the heartbreak for too many cavalier owners. :( And why supporting breeders who not just test but USE that information as advised in protocols, is so critical. :)

I did do it over again. Ella was my heart. Having her with SM and get worse was so hard. It's a roller coaster but I think about if I didn't have that love or get so close to such a special girl it would also be sad.

There will never be another Ella but I adopted Elton. He is a character and opposite of her which is good. It fell into place like she brought him to me. I will not lie and say any of this is easy. I haven't experienced MVD so I don't know that first hand. It would be awesome to not have death and sickness but eventually those we care about will get sick. Maybe not SM or MVD but something. So would I not choose to love a pet because of the what if's - no. A mixed breed could get sick too. luckily we have information on their past and breeders have protocols to help reduce the chance of the puppies developing a condition.

We have clubs to get involved in. I will choose that. I think my next one will start early on pet therapy. I just can't imagine my life without a cavalier.

its been really interesting hearing everyoenes responses and experiances to this. Its something ive felt a little alone in feeling, as i have not been on CT in a while.
I dont think ive made up my mind..i still have a while yet to decide.im leaning twards choosing another breed..perhaps a westie..but i do love those cavaliers. I hope that one day they are able to work out their problems. i looked into the cocker spaniels, but they too seem riddled with serious health issues :(

Back