Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: SM? Huh!

Post Thanks / Like

Clever doggies! A rusk is like a hard dried biscuit - different to a US biscuit - more like a dried cookie I think.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

My rusks are made with wholemeal flour, bran, oats, margarine, milk, eggs and flavoured with garlic or cheese. You make them like a cake, cooked in the oven, then when cool cut them into small squares and dry them in the oven. They come out dry but not too hard - nice and easily crunchy for small dogs. In the UK rusks are regarded as baby food; in South Africa they are a popular snack, dunked in coffee, which is where I got to like them and then adapted for dogs. Those rusks are usually made out of slices of bread dried in the oven and are crisper than my dog version. My version is a bit of a fiddle to make - not least having the oven occupied for several hours while they dry on a very low heat, but with my new fan oven I can do them overnight with the timer set.

I started making them for my boys and now supply a great number of dogs in Coventry, plus my monthly training class! I always pop a few bags onto my mustard stall when I go to a market or craft fair and have quite a lot of regular customers. Oliver adores them, hence his nefarious activities!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Post Thanks / Like

Kate they sound delicious. Is there a human variety
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

If you can find a shop or market stall that sells Southern African food (SA/Zimbabwe), they will almost certainly sell Ouma rusks. The human variety have raisins or spices in them - I do make them sometimes, but also sneak the dogs' cheese ones, which contain a lot of mature cheddar and are nice! Perhaps I should make a batch for the auction, as they are light to post and last for ages! When I finally surface from my present deluge of work (I'm a freelance book editor), I'm going to put some of my mustards into the auction, so could do dog and human rusks as well.

Kate, Oliver and Aled