• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Gabapentin and Tramadol

HollyDolly

You may remember that last year my Vet kindly donated Gabapentin tablets
for this forum.

Well he has kindly done the same this year.
I have several hundred 300mg Gabapentin and also
some 50mg of Tramadol.
Just pm me if anyone on the forum would like me to post out to them

I will post anywhere in the world.

Nanette

[Admin note: of course, this all needs to be done working with Nanette's vet -- people can get in touch with Nanette with a copy of their existing prescription and have a private discussion on how this would be arranged (y)]

That's so kind! I would hope someone or a couple of people who could use a bit of help on covering the costs of their dog's meds might be the ones who apply, as many others are covered by insurance or can manage more easily than others. :flwr:

Maybe those interested can privately PM Nanette. :)

That is so kind of your vet - and of you to pass it on.

If the recipients are able to make a donation to Rupert's Fund, that would be greatly appreciated [obviously do not feel obligated by any means]

I'm sure this will help some wee dogs who need it - the 300mgs can be split if you obtain empty capsules from your pharmacy or online.

Some people who read but don't belong to the forum have their knickers in a tight little twist over this post. :rolleyes:.

So to reassure them -- I would like for their sake, to emphasise that this offer is made from someone in the US and the given case(s) will of course be assessed by the vet who can donate meds on the basis of an existing appropriate prescription wherever he or she bloody well pleases.

As far as I am concerned this is a PRIVATE matter ... I only wish I had seen similar concern raised by this person about, say, their club breeder friends not using cardiologists and not following the MVD protocol, for example! No have I seen any effort from this same person to highlight any concern about those latest figures from club cardiologist Simon Swift on the Club webpage that note lower numbers had their cavaliers tested at this year's championship show last time around than in the past, or that the bulk were under ages 3, with only a measly 12 cavaliers over aged 5 tested for murmurs -- 12! Though this is an age group he has long recommended would supply some of the most important information back to their breeders...and has repeatedly encouraged breeders to test. Guess breeders prefer to bring along those younger dogs tested that are almost certainly going to be murmur free... :rolleyes:

Surely things which can affect generations of cavaliers and overall breed health, are a more important for this person's 'concern' than a vet offering kindly to help relieve the suffering of cavaliers belonging to people who have a tough time affording the expensive medications needed for the pain of this condition? That condition which so few breeders seem to think they need to use any breeding guidelines to try to minimise, even when 555 cavaliers very clearly highlight the difference using breeding protocols makes? :sl*p:

Priorities, priorities, I guess!

Anyone who wishes to get in contact with Nanette and her vet to discuss this offer may do so privately by PM. (y) This is a private and personal arrangement that I am sure will follow whatever legal arrangement is required in the US. :) It is NOT illegal to mail prescription medications abroad unless the substances are controlled.

I am not surprised that certain people come on this Forum to snoop around. As this was posted in the SM & MVD Forum I find it sad that these people have to pick out and report on something like this. Why don’t they have a read on how many dogs and owners come on here nearly every day devastated that their dogs have been diagnosed with SM or MVD. Any decent person would be heartbroken on how this wonderful breed is suffering. You should be b...... ashamed of yourself.

I always say people like you say you love this breed you love your dogs. No you love what your dogs do for you.

Karlin wrote re the heart checks at the Cavalier Club show: only a measly 12 cavaliers over aged 5 tested for murmurs

And two of those were mine! One of whom is a 10-year-old who is neither shown or bred from, and the other is an almost-5-year-old rescue without a pedigree, for whom I use this as an annual health check. Which reduces the numbers of breeding stock checked even further. And this year for the first time you didn't even have to pay for a show entry for the dog in order to get the free heart check, just pay £5 on the day. Even if your dog is older and no longer bred from or shown, you still need to know whether he/she carries the MVD genes and can have passed them on to past puppies. And people often say, anecdotally, that they have or know of Cavaliers who have had low grade murmurs that never got worse and they lived to a good age - and the easiest way of proving that is to keep heart checking them.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

... those latest figures from club cardiologist Simon Swift on the Club webpage that note lower numbers had their cavaliers tested at this year's championship show last time around than in the past, or that the bulk were under ages 3, with only a measly 12 cavaliers over aged 5 tested for murmurs -- 12! ...

I checked the list of stats of the cavaliers tested at the 2012 championship show (see http://thecavalierclub.co.uk/health/hearts/reports/show12.html) and came up with different totals. I counted 30 dogs at age 5 or older, of which 12 were murmur-free and 18 had murmurs.

Of those under 5 years, 100 were tested; 92 were murmur-free; 8 had murmurs.

The goal of the MVD breeding protocol is to eliminate MVD murmurs in dogs before their 5th birthdays. So, these pre-5 stats are promising.

Oh you are right -- confusing chart -- thought the left column was the number of dogs in an age group! :sl*p: Yes the pre-5s definitely encouraging. That said, in all my rescue dogs over the last 7 years or so, I've had very few murmurs in under 5s (done by my best vet at doing hearts). Most over 5 have had them. :(

Oh you are right -- confusing chart -- thought the left column was the number of dogs in an age group! :sl*p: Yes the pre-5s definitely encouraging. That said, in all my rescue dogs over the last 7 years or so, I've had very few murmurs in under 5s (done by my best vet at doing hearts). Most over 5 have had them. :(

Karlin, I thought you were right the first time I looked at that chart, too.

Looking again at the chart I see my two aren't on it - easy to pick up because Aled would have been the only 4-5 year old with a Grade 3, and Oliver was the only 2 in the 10-11 box. Think I'll have to email Simon!

Kate, Oliver and Aled

Back