Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just back from the emergancy vets

Post Thanks / Like

Default Just back from the emergancy vets

What a night, we had to rush Misty into the vets just over an hour ago

She's had an upset belly today, nothing too serious, her poo was a little runny, so I never gave her any tea tonight. About seven she started fretting, and then the explosive diarrhea started. It was nearly pure water, and was just shooting out of her, and then she started being sick too. We let her settle on the couch, on top of a waterproof bedcover I keep for times like these, I glanced down and there was a small pool of blood on the sheet. I know from Murphy's sensitive stomach that, the bright red stuff is supposed to be nothing to worry about, rather than dark blackish stuff, but blood is blood. I called our vets, but it went to voicemail, so I left a message and got dressed(had been in my jammies). When I came downstairs again, it was just dribbling out of her, I called the vets again but it still rang to voicemail. So in desperation I called our old vets

We had left them last year after they wouldn't listen to my fears of SM, but I really didn't want to risk waiting for our new vets to call back. Misty was becoming distressed and whimpering under her breath. He was a little reluctant to see her as he was missing her history, but he said if I brought her medication in he'd have a look at her. He says she's got Hemorrhagic Diarrhea. She's pink enough, and at the moment isn't dehydrated, so he has given her anti-biotics, and sent her home with electrolyte satchets, and some Hills ID to try her on once she starts keeping down fluids. If she doesn't take the fluids we've to take her into our vets asap, but if she does take them, we've to try a tea spoon of food tomorrow at tea time.

What a scare we got. Poor Misty is just lying in her bed in the kitchen, she seems done in. I've to try her with some electrolytes now, I'm just hoping she takes them and keeps them down.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Misty & poor you. Ebony went through this and it scares you to death. My ebony had to stay at the vets on a drip. Just hope Misty will take the electrolytes and be able to settle. If you are anything like me then it will be a long night for you. I can’t sleep and watch their every move.
    Hope you get some rest and keep us updated.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Oh gosh poor Misty, I hope she has a good night sleep and that the antibiotics settles things quickly. Get well soon Misty.
    Andrea
    Jasper tri
    21/Dec/05, Gabby ruby girl 8/Nov/07, and Felix the cat 4/April/10

Post Thanks / Like

What a scare with Misty! Hope she feels better soon

Post Thanks / Like

Out of curiosity...Did the new vets ring back?
    Hope things have improved for you by now.That seems like a truly nasty virus.
    Get well soon Misty.
    Sins
    Sharing my sofa with Holly, Ivy,Lilly and Hazy.. and never forgetting our beautiful Daisy who reached the bridge too soon.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh no! Poor Misty! Bless her heart. I hope she feels better soon!

Post Thanks / Like

She slept great, not a peep out of her all night, which actually made me worse, I just couldn't settle. She's kept down her electrolytes, and she's just had some Canikur paste, so I'm really hoping the worst is over. She is very quiet this morning, but at least she's up and moving, as she never moved from her bed in the kitchen after we came home from the vets. She was sitting waiting at the baby gate at half six, and has peed twice already, and had one runny poo. It's a little more solid than last night, last nigh it was just water really, and she's only went the once, so here's hoping.

Her tail was wagging this morning too, which of course is the best sign after her being so quiet and uninterested last night

The new vets had left a message while we were in at the old ones, she apologized but she'd been dealing with an emergency at the time. I've never had to call the emergency vets at the new practice, but I did feel a little disappointed. Then again it's only a small practice, they all are in our town.
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Glad to read Misty seems a bit better today. Here's hoping she's on the right track now.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like

Glad Misty is feeling better Pippin had this a couple of years ago, in the middle of the night,very frightening!

Why with dogs are the emergencies always when the vets are closed...
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh goodness what a scary incident - they do like to scare you just to remind you how much you love them

You did exactly the right thing getting her to a vets quickly - in this case, any vets, as it is a true veterinary emergency and in young puppies or older dogs can even be fatal in just a matter of hours as they dehydrate so quickly

It's a really good sign that she is perkier this morning and the poo is firmer - paws crossed she will continue to get better during the day, it sounds like she is through the worst.

Unfortunately she might not digest her SM meds very well if everything is passing through the gut too quickly, so you may see a recurrence of symptoms.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org