• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Just a dog

Sabby

Nicki ask me to post this here

Just a Dog

From time to time, people tell me, "lighten up, it's just a dog," or, "that's a lot of money for just a dog." They don't understand the distance travelled, the time spent, or the costs involved for "just a dog." Some of my proudest moments have come about with "just a dog."
Many hours have passed and my only company was "just a dog," but I did not once feel slighted. Some of my saddest moments have been brought about by "just a dog," and in those days of darkness, the gentle touch of "just a dog" gave me comfort and reason to overcome the day.
If you, too, think it's "just a dog," then you will probably understand phases like "just a friend," "just a sunrise," or "just a promise." "Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy. "Just a dog" brings out the compassion and patience that make me a better person.
Because of "just a dog" I will rise early, take long walks and look longingly to the future. So for me and folks like me, it's not "just a dog" but an embodiment of all the hopes and dreams of the future, the fond memories of the past, and the pure joy of the moment. "Just a dog" brings out what's good in me and diverts my thoughts away from myself and the worries of the day.
I hope that someday they can understand that it's not "just a dog" but the thing that gives me humanity and keeps me from being "just a man." So the next time you hear the phrase "just a dog." just smile, because they "just don't understand."

"Just a dog" brings into my life the very essence of friendship, trust, and pure unbridled joy."

I believe that is why we owe them so much and must try to give them the very best care,love and attention in return

I hate to hear that phrase 'just a dog' none of mine will ever be just a dog to me...no animal should be 'just' anything...

I wish all people could think like we do..

Thank you for sharing this Sabby, I thought many people would like to read it and comment too.

If anyone ever says it's "just a dog" to me, then I feel sorry for them that they have never experienced the wonderful bond and love that we have shared with our dogs [and other animals]

Think how many dogs [adn again, other animals] work every day to help in all walks of life - service animals, assistance dogs, therapy dogs, cancer detection - the list is endless. That doesn't include those we have as companions who give us so much love every day, and inspire us to achieve great things.

Hi Sabby, you have expressed exactly how I feel about the richness my dogs have brought to my life. I amn't sure if there is a God, but if there is, then he sent dogs to teach us the meaning of true love, compassion, loyalty, laughter, joie de vivre,lack of guile or vanity, and the grief to match all that when they die. I know that my happiest hours have been spent in my garden, pottering about, my dogs at my feet. They weave the little stories of their lives through ours, until we cannot tell them apart.
No point in trying to explain it to the "just a dog" people. That is, until they get one! :)

I totally understand... "just a human" but "just a dog?" ....... NEVER!!!
I was in the military for 12 yrs. Been to Iraq & Afghanistan. Lost numerous friends and men. When I lost my 2 yr old black and tan Male Teddy... I finally broke down like never before. I have never felt such grief,pain,sorrow,depression. I know exactly how you feel.
My best to you.
C.P.

I love the quote "Whoever said you can't buy happiness forgot about little puppies." The love we feel for our pets is a love that only others like us understand. A dog is not an object, it has a life and all of the love, time and effort you put in to your beloved pet is returned with kisses, cuddles, loyalty and laughs and an excited tail wag and 'jump all over you'. If you fall over, they are the first there to ensure you are okay, if you are sad, they do their best to cheer you up and when they are so very naughty....you can't stay angry. Whoever uses the term 'just a dog' is 'just sad".

Back