• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

In memory of Lady

Moll

My little Lady’s body was no longer able to hold her enormous spirit, so we set it free last week.
Anybody who took the time to know her (or me!) knows how special a dog she was. She was my true and loyal friend for 13 years. She was my confidante, my private secretary, my lady-in-waiting, the soul of discretion and.... my boss. She agreed with me on absolutely everything, except if it meant she couldn’t be in the same room as me. The permanently scratched kitchen door bears the evidence. Whenever I was depressed, she knew exactly what to do..............she never offered advice or suggested I look on the bright side. She just lay by my feet and told me there was nowhere else on earth that she would rather be.
I never thought when I named her Lady that she would live up to the nobility of her name, but she surpassed it. We had recently taken to calling her the Dowager, to describe her characteristic gravitas.
I am consoled by the fact that she has never known hunger or pain, just love and laughter. Nor did she ever know death.

SO very sorry to read this sad news.

13 years is a wonderful age for a Cavalier, a tribute to your love and care - but that doesn't make it any easier as they have been part of your life for so very long, you feel that part of you is missing.

Lady sounds like she really did live up to her name, she was obviously very special and deeply loved - some very precious memories which will be a comfort to you over the months to come.

Our thoughts are with you at this difficult time - Lady will always have a very special place in your heart and thoughts.

What a heart felt tribute to a much loved companion.

Sending best wishes to you at this sad time.

XX

So sorry to hear that you had to give Lady her wings. May her memory stay in your heart always.

So sorry to hear of your loss.
Your original post was beautiful and I'm sure Lady was never in any doubt of your love for her.

M&O

Thank you all so much.

I am so grateful to all of you who took the time to read and to reply to my little piece on Lady. She was a present from my husband for my 40th birthday (not a surprise present!). I couldn't think of anything better than a tri-colour cavalier companion to our new 3 month old blenheim, Jack. Burton never gave Taylor so precious a rock. Lady & Jack were an extraordinary double-act for eight years. You see, Jack was deaf since birth and he relied on Lady for so much in his short life. When we said goodbye to Jack, Lady became my even more special companion.

Lady came from an appalling puppy farm. She was the runt of the litter, her siblings had been shipped to the USA; not her, because her "bite" was "wrong". I took her out of that place and straight to the vets. She had a heart murmur. She was on daily medication. And yes, she got 13 years of a gloriously happy life! I often thought it was ironic that she was deemed unacceptable because of her appearance and her dodgy heart, when she was really so beautiful with the most constant heart imaginable.

Yes, I do feel a part of me is missing without her. I feel empty. She had her own little paw-step rhythm. The house is so quiet. And yes, no dog could be more loved and she knew it! And I will always have a cavalier, because they are ideal companion dogs. But from now on, I will adopt. But I know there will never be another Lady. Dog-lovers know that each dog is a special individual.

I hope people who have dogs with heart problems take some comfort in the fact that some cavaliers can live so long. And Lady's death was due, in the end, to old age. Her heart held out!

I appreciate your message very much. I do know that 13 years is a long life for a CKCS, especially given that she had a dodgy heart from the beginning. I feel we took good care of her, as do most Cavalier lovers and she had a wonderful life until a week or two before she died. She even managed to climb "Everest" (the stairs) once in her last week. She was worth it all and more. It means a lot to be able to share her little biography with people who understand and who can empathise. There are so many memories; she was a very big thread in the story of our life as a family, woven through 13 years....our 16 year old daughter was 3 when Lady arrived. Thank You!

That is a significant loss for your daughter.
Our first cavalier, Betsey Trotwood, was bought for my daughters 8th birthday and died when Vikki was 16 years old. It hit her very hard.

I'm so very sorry for your loss. What a wonderful tribute you wrote for a wonderful little companion. She was so lucky to have you and you her.... Rest in Peace sweet Lady.

I agree with Desrae, what a beautiful tribute you have written for you sweet, loving companion.

It's always hard to describe to others, the vast and uncompromising love they give to us. Some dogs just take a pice of us with them when they leave us.

Would love to see a picture....hugs to you.

I agree with Desrae, what a beautiful tribute you have written for you sweet, loving companion.

It's always hard to describe to others, the vast and uncompromising love they give to us. Some dogs just take a piece of us with them when they leave.

Would love to see a picture....hugs to you.

Back