Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Back to the vet again (a bit yuck)

Post Thanks / Like

Default Back to the vet again (a bit yuck)

I feel my three are taking turns at the vets these days!

DJ was scooting earlier this evening (7.30) and then trying to 'dart way' from his rear end. He has been fine all day and playing, eating etc as normal.

I decided to take a look and he has an anal gland abscess

How come they never complain until it's too late!? I called the vet and got an appointment for tomorrow morning and have bathed it and given him a painkiller to make him comfortable. It seems to have burst but is only a tiny hole and is pink, not red. I feel so bad for missing it and guilty that it burst before I even knew he had it!

This happened the same way with Pippin twice before and I now give them all bran every morning with their breakfast, which works wonders for Pippin and Gus but must not have for DJ. We have him four years now and this is the first time he's had problems with his glands. He is due for annual check up next month and would have had them checked then as routine. Thankfully he hasn't needed to go there since last years check up. Maybe Gus told him that they have redecorated and there is now free biscuits at the counter after consult

Seriously though I hate when they are not well, but know it can be fixed and could be worse but still feel bad
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

It is awful and it does get to you though I am sure he will fine with your care ,Last month I think we went 9 times within 2 weeks the receptionist
    even knew how much milk to put on my cornflakes in the morning .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Don't beat yourself up - it's rare for people to notice these before they burst, your vet will probably tell you that.

Sorry to hear about it though, some of them seem to have problems whatever you feed, I know a lot of people have success with oatbran, also with raw feeding - I know Tania's are heaps better since being on HOney's raw food http://honeysrealdogfood.com/index.php mine are better on it too, still just Kayleigh really. My vet and I were discussing it and he agreed that sometimes the whole it just a bit small or the vessel it travels through is bent too far back on itself, so they are always going to have problems.

With Cavaliers, it's something to always be aware of and to check regularly yourself - your vet can teach you how and even teach you to empty them yourself - if you are feeling brave, it's a bit stinky!

They don't all scoot when the glands are blocked, some chew at their hind legs, or even along the side of the penis! Yes you are right about the whipping around too. These can also all be symptoms of CM/SM which is why the first thing we recommend if you are concerned is to have the anal glands checked.

Hope everyone keeps well for a bit! We used to joke that I had my own parking space at the vets
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Nicki View Post
    Don't beat yourself up - it's rare for people to notice these before they burst, your vet will probably tell you that.

They don't all scoot when the glands are blocked, some chew at their hind legs, or even along the side of the penis!

Hope everyone keeps well for a bit! We used to joke that I had my own parking space at the vets
    Thanks Nicki and Brian love the comment about the cornflakes

DJ was biting near his penis last Friday evening and I was checking it all weekend for bites etc. but found nothing then he stopped biting,never thought that could be a symptom of anal glands Will remember that now! Thing is I check the glands every month and they've been fine all along will keep a closer eye from now on.

Post Thanks / Like

Oh I've been there......read the book and brought the T-SHIRT!!
    Leo had an abcess once and the first I knew was when it ruptured all over the sofa
    I felt awful....Im usually so diligent and I couldnt believe i'd missed it. Comfort yourself in the fact that you acted on it as soon as you were aware.
    Hope DJ feels better soon
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Well we went to the vets, my usual vet was off but we seen the other lovely girl (they are all so nice there) she assured me that these gland abscesses can go from nothing to huge overnight so not to feel bad about missing it.
    DJ was so good. She emptied the other gland, cleaned up the abscess and gave him an anti-inflammatory injection. We came home with 7 days supply of antibiotics, painkillers (to start tomorrow), and Burns High oats food which I had asked about and she recommended we try, to try firming up his stools which are always or mostly skinny and softish. He has been that way since we took him and she questioned whether he ever had a pelvic injury - as it can cause bowl changes -we of course couldn't answer for his first four years...

He is in good form and doesn't seem to be in pain, he was this morning as I found him hiding under the kitchen table, which he always does if he is in any discomfort, don't know why he didn't do it yesterday? We have to keep an eye on the abcess to check it doesn't get bigger, keep it as clean as possible and back to the vet in a week.

MEL--hope your sofa survived! Ours are covered in old throws and towels at the moment as I can't deprive him of his sit down with me in the evening

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

I am sure DJ is on the mend and will be 110% back to normal with the added bonus of firm poops ,and lets all hope
    that the last trip to he Vets for you all for a long time .

Best Wishes To You All

Bri
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Hi

I have three Cavaliers, all three had to have their anal glands emptied every three to four weeks despite using expensive bran the vet prescribed.

We feed Honey's (ex darlings) raw food. It is 60 per cent meat, 30 veg and 10 bone. They have been on this diet for a long time, we then added two teaspoons of oat bran each day. I am very happy with the food and know for sure it is all totally natural and is free range and organic. We added two teaspoons of oat ran from the health food shop. The improvement is 80 percent better. Dougalls glands don't have to emptied, Molly every 10 weeks and Dotty every 6 weeks.
    When they are emptied, they are not compacted or completely full. The difference has been amazing. It is important the bran is totally natural and does not have any sugar in it. Breakfast cereal has a rule is not very good.
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

Thanks Tania, looked in the health food shop today for oat bran but they were out so will try another branch tomorrow. The vet did say they may need to see him every month to six weeks to have his glands emptied, he is back in a week to get the glands emptied again as they were too sore today to do it fully and then she said she will see him a month from then anyway. Pippin had terrible gland problems but giving the all bran, only a teaspoon with the JWB at breakfast for the last two years has meant he only needs to have them done annually at check ups and they are never very full. I will probably try the oat bran for them all though

Post Thanks / Like

Hi Pippa sorry to read about DJ's problems and hope he will be feeling better soon. You can get oat bran in Tesco -probably cheaper than the health food store too
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008