Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Back to the vet again (a bit yuck)

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Charlifarley View Post
    Hi Pippa sorry to read about DJ's problems and hope he will be feeling better soon. You can get oat bran in Tesco -probably cheaper than the health food store too

Thanks Shirley, will try Tesco
    Gus(blenhiem) Pippin(tri) DJ(ruby)

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our Tescos don't stock it but Morrissons do - guess it depends where you are!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Went to the vet with DJ for the check up after the abscess. He was due back tomorrow but I rang yesterday and brought it forward as he was still not healing up as well as expected. There was a locum vet in today in place of the girl who seen him last week,he was also very good. He emptied the rest of the gland and prescribed another week of the same antibiotic but twice the dose as it is working just not as quickly as they would like.

My usual vet was in surgery, but half way through the consult she popped in to see DJ as she had heard we were coming in and wanted to see him and ask about Gus and Pippin, so nice of her but proof we are there too much lately...(heard we were coming in)

Dj does not have to go back if the abscess continues to clear up if not then back again next week(hopefully not), but is back for annual check-up next month anyway so will have his glands checked then again.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi

My heart jumped when I spotted your post I so hope thats the end of visits for you all you have had more than
    your share .

Best Wishes To You All

Brian
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Tania View Post
    Hi

I have three Cavaliers, all three had to have their anal glands emptied every three to four weeks despite using expensive bran the vet prescribed.

We feed Honey's (ex darlings) raw food. It is 60 per cent meat, 30 veg and 10 bone. They have been on this diet for a long time, we then added two teaspoons of oat bran each day. I am very happy with the food and know for sure it is all totally natural and is free range and organic. We added two teaspoons of oat ran from the health food shop. The improvement is 80 percent better. Dougalls glands don't have to emptied, Molly every 10 weeks and Dotty every 6 weeks.
    When they are emptied, they are not compacted or completely full. The difference has been amazing. It is important the bran is totally natural and does not have any sugar in it. Breakfast cereal has a rule is not very good.
    Hi Tania,
    Do you mix oat bran with hot water or just add it directly to the food?
    thanks
    kitty

Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Hi

My heart jumped when I spotted your post I so hope thats the end of visits for you all you have had more than
    your share .

Best Wishes To You All

Brian
    Thanks Brian, Gus has to go for monthly injections and both he and DJ are due their annual check with my usual vet in May, then Pippin in July so hopefully that will end it

(except for GUS' monthly visits and going to collect monthly meds for Pippin, guess that's what happens when you have three seniors!) and we will have no more unexpected visits...

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Sorry to hear that it's taking a while to clear up hopefully the extra antibiotics will help.

Yes paws crossed you will keep away form the door for a bit, but your vet sounds lovely

Kitty, need to moisten the bran with some water otherwise it goes everywhere...you will still be combing it out of their ears months later!!
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Glad things are looking up though taking a little longer than expected. Fingers crossed for no more unexpected visits.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart