• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Chloe was spayed today

Calandra

My Chloe Louise had her spaying surgery today. I've felt guilty all week doing this to her - just thinking of my happy little puppy being operated on without necessity. Also, looking at her perfect little tummy just made my feel so bad, knowing she'd have a scar soon forever. (Spaying was part of my breeder's contract.)

Well, this went as great as was possible. My vet did laser surgery on her, and she was hooked up to an IV all day as well as a catheter! They did a laser treatment over the incision that I guess is supposed to make it heal faster. This is the best part - instead of putting a cone around her head to keep her from biting at the stitches, my vet uses a onesie that snaps in the back around the tail.

So Chloe is now resting in her stroller (I've now found a good use for it, since she was following me around the house when we got home!!! :)) although she tried her best to fight the drowsiness from her medicine.

Oh - I forgot to mention -- I had not cut Chloe's fur at all. Her little feet where very "slippery." Well, I realized when I got home that they have trimmed her paws - without my asking! :( I know they had to shave her belly, but they also trimmed her "potty area." I'm not going to show Chloe, but my heart sank a bit when I saw this. I'm telling myself that the important thing is they took good care of her during the surgery, but it still annoys me a bit that some of her fur was unnecessarily cut without my permission.

Last edited:
Oh Calandra, big cuddles for you a little Miss Chloe! I know you said you feel guilty and it wasnt necessary in your eyes, but the benefits of spaying far outweights the risks of pyometra for example. Lola had one season and then was spayed 4months past and it was the best thing we ever did for her. She was horribly unsettled by being in season, poor thing didnt know what was going on! She was also a poor eater prior to the op, and is much better now although still a madam at times. She has no visable scar that I can see anymore, she healed beautifully and im sure chloe will too. You did what was best for her, she'll bounce back in a day, i promise!

As for the cutting of the hair unneccessarily, thats a bit annoying isnt it, but hey... hair grows! Bless her little heart, shes adorable! All the best with her x

Aww, glad she made it through alright, and I had exactly the same guilt when Jessie was desexed (he also had a large hernia removed at the same time).
Now being 3 months later, he has no visible scaring at all.
At the time, I felt so guilty having put him through the whole ordeal, but by the second day, he was back bouncing around and being as naughty as ever.

Jessie was shaved around his groin, right down his tummy and one paw (due to the IV) and it all grew back completely.
We had more of an issue with half of Jessie's head being green, yep, green. We had asked for his ears to be thoroughly cleaned while he was there,
but after his surgery and they stamped the inside of his ears, they decided then to clean his ears.
The inside of his ears were completely green, the side of his face and down his jaw.

That was hulkamania week at my house
girl_haha.gif

Big hugs from Jessie and I.

How is Chloe Louise doing? It sounded like her surgery went well! I was a nervous wreck when Sonny had his surgery. I hope she has healed well and is feeling good! I remember the hardest part was keeping Sonny quiet for the two weeks he had his staples in! Ugh...

Sorry about her hair...I love their little feathery paws too.

Back