Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Minnie is in Hospital

Post Thanks / Like

Default Minnie is in Hospital

We got up this morning to a utility room awash with watery diarrhoea and blood (even up the walls) and a very very poorly Minnie. Luckily our vets was open first thing so got the first available appointment. However in the hour that we were waiting to go she deteriorated very quickly and by the time we got to the vets she could not even sit up. She was admitted as her temperature was very low and she was extremely dehydrated. They put her on a drip and gave her antibiotics as she had hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). Not sure what was causing it, but as our Vets is not manned 24 hours, they wanted to stablilise her and run bloods before transferring her to the Emergency Hospital. We went and picked her up at midday and took her drip and all to the Emergency Hospital.

The vets at are EH are usually French, and the one we saw was absolutely marvellous. Minnie had lots of tests done, some more bloods were taken and she was X-Rayed in case she had a foreign body. The upshot at the moment is that she has Pancreatitis, not sure if it has been caused by something bacterial or viral or that there maybe something else going on. She was severly dehydrated and they are still trying to maintain her fluids. Her white cell count is up, but her protein levels are very low (or something like that) whatever that is, is not how it would normally occur, so they are having to be careful about bringing her fluid level up too quickly. We were allowed to stay with her the whole time and every step was fully explained to us. Her X-ray showed a very swollen stomach and also lots of nasty stuff still to come through her colon, but no obvious blockage. When we left her we felt we were leaving her in very good hands.

I have just spoken to the Vet and so far Minnie is holding her own. She is still dehydrated, but about to start her next lot of i/v antibiotics. She has apparently been out for a couple of wee's and managed to walk back in. She is starting to give little tail wags as well - so so far so good.

Right off now to do some reading up on Pancreatitis and if anyone else has had any similar experiences would love to hear from you.
    Sandra
    Minnie-May (6yrs) & Rosie the Rescue (approx 6 yrs)
    My Darling Cinders and Lady Jane waiting at the Bridge

Post Thanks / Like

Thank goodness you acted so quickly. Gentle hugs to Minnie and a big hug for you
    Tania and The Three Cavaliers!
    Dotty!- A Sweet Little Tri
    Molly - Pretty Tri Dougall - Gorgeous Blenheim

Post Thanks / Like

So sorry to read this. Here's hoping Minnie will make a speedy recovery.

Sending hugs and best wishes your way.

Mel X
    Mel
    Momma to Leonardo (Leo to his friends)

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Minnie!!

Sending get well wishes to Minnie.

M&O x

Post Thanks / Like

Poor Minnie - you must have got a big fright - here's hoping she is on the road to recovery now.
    Trapper had pancreatitis a while ago but nothing as serious ad Minnie. He is on a special gastric food which seems to have kept it at bay.
    Thinking of you and keeping our fingers and paws crossed here.
    Shirley
    A comfy lap for
    Trapper - tri boy Feb 2004, Bosco - ruby boy Jan 2008

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Oh goodness Sandra sorry to hear this, sounds horrendous

Thank goodness you acted so quickly, something like this is truly a veterinary emergency. Both your vet and the emergency hospital sound really thorough and caring, and it must help to feel confident with the care they are giving MInnie.

We will keep you both in our thoughts - and hoping that she makes a good recovery.

She might need adjustments to her diet, low fat is essential, but your vet will discuss that with you at the appropriate time.

It can be hard to get them eating again, smelly and favourite foods are really helpful. There are also veterinary diets that can be mixed with water to make a liquid that can be carefully syringed into the side of the dog's mouth but this is difficult to do and would need the vet to teach you.

Unfortunately I have been through this quite a few times, Unfortunately I have been through this quite a few times, research published in 2011 shows that Cavaliers may be predisposed to chronic pancreatitis.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I've done a new thread about Pancreatitis, causes, treatment etc and a diet for it here http://www.cavaliertalk.com/forums/s...t-pancreatitis
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Sandra, I hope she's feeling better. What a terrible morning for you to wake up to that. Poor wee soul, give her a tender hug and a kiss from us
    Paula - mum to Murphy(6) & Misty(7), and Jerry our cat.

Post Thanks / Like

Aww poor Minnie and you! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been!! Kisses from me and my puppy, too, and I hope she recovers quickly. Sounds like she'll be OK.

Post Thanks / Like

Keeping Minnie in my prayers.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Red Headed Baby Girl
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart