• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Minnie is in Hospital

Sandrac

We got up this morning to a utility room awash with watery diarrhoea and blood (even up the walls) and a very very poorly Minnie. Luckily our vets was open first thing so got the first available appointment. However in the hour that we were waiting to go she deteriorated very quickly and by the time we got to the vets she could not even sit up. She was admitted as her temperature was very low and she was extremely dehydrated. They put her on a drip and gave her antibiotics as she had hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE). Not sure what was causing it, but as our Vets is not manned 24 hours, they wanted to stablilise her and run bloods before transferring her to the Emergency Hospital. We went and picked her up at midday and took her drip and all to the Emergency Hospital.

The vets at are EH are usually French, and the one we saw was absolutely marvellous. Minnie had lots of tests done, some more bloods were taken and she was X-Rayed in case she had a foreign body. The upshot at the moment is that she has Pancreatitis, not sure if it has been caused by something bacterial or viral or that there maybe something else going on. She was severly dehydrated and they are still trying to maintain her fluids. Her white cell count is up, but her protein levels are very low (or something like that) whatever that is, is not how it would normally occur, so they are having to be careful about bringing her fluid level up too quickly. We were allowed to stay with her the whole time and every step was fully explained to us. Her X-ray showed a very swollen stomach and also lots of nasty stuff still to come through her colon, but no obvious blockage. When we left her we felt we were leaving her in very good hands.

I have just spoken to the Vet and so far Minnie is holding her own. She is still dehydrated, but about to start her next lot of i/v antibiotics. She has apparently been out for a couple of wee's and managed to walk back in. She is starting to give little tail wags as well - so so far so good.

Right off now to do some reading up on Pancreatitis and if anyone else has had any similar experiences would love to hear from you.

Thank goodness you acted so quickly. Gentle hugs to Minnie and a big hug for you :hug:

So sorry to read this. Here's hoping Minnie will make a speedy recovery.

Sending hugs and best wishes your way.

Mel X

Poor Minnie - you must have got a big fright - here's hoping she is on the road to recovery now.
Trapper had pancreatitis a while ago but nothing as serious ad Minnie. He is on a special gastric food which seems to have kept it at bay.
Thinking of you and keeping our fingers and paws crossed here.

Oh goodness Sandra sorry to hear this, sounds horrendous :(

Thank goodness you acted so quickly, something like this is truly a veterinary emergency. Both your vet and the emergency hospital sound really thorough and caring, and it must help to feel confident with the care they are giving MInnie.

We will keep you both in our thoughts - and hoping that she makes a good recovery.

She might need adjustments to her diet, low fat is essential, but your vet will discuss that with you at the appropriate time.

It can be hard to get them eating again, smelly and favourite foods are really helpful. There are also veterinary diets that can be mixed with water to make a liquid that can be carefully syringed into the side of the dog's mouth but this is difficult to do and would need the vet to teach you.

Unfortunately I have been through this quite a few times, Unfortunately I have been through this quite a few times, research published in 2011 shows that Cavaliers may be predisposed to chronic pancreatitis.

Oh Sandra, I hope she's feeling better. What a terrible morning for you to wake up to that. Poor wee soul, give her a tender hug and a kiss from us :)

Aww poor Minnie and you! I can't even imagine how scary that must have been!! Kisses from me and my puppy, too, and I hope she recovers quickly. Sounds like she'll be OK. :hug:

Oh poor Minnie, good on you for acting so quickly, it must have been a frightening sight for you this morning. Hopefully the treatment she is receiving will bring her quickly on the road to recovery and she will be back home with you. Thinking of you and hoping for good news :flwr:

Thinking of you and poor Minnie. Your vets and the hospital sound very knowledgeable and Minnie is in good hands. Just hoping for a speedy recovery so she can come home.

How's Minnie this morning Sandra? We've been thinking of you and hoping you have some good news.

Thank you all for your kind words and thoughts it means so much. Just had update - she has had a comfortable night only had 1 further episode of hemorrhagic diarrhoea. The Vets use this really good system called Vestoria, you get an email which says there is an update so you log in and get the latest report. The Nurse's report this morning said that she had been very happy and sweet overnight and was now getting lots of waggly tails. She also said that Minnie is showing a lot of interest in eating. Just wonder if that is anything to do with the bunny rabbit that was in the crate next to her :rolleyes:. That sounds more like Minnie. I must say so far I am really impressed with the Emergency Vets.

Good news Sandra.......I hope the Rabbit in the next cage isnt too traumatised by Minnieicon_whistling

Fantastic news Sandra, sounds like she is perking up nicely, always a good sign when they are taking an interest in things :)

Tell her to leave the Easter bunny alone, he must be worn out after delivering all the Easter eggs ;)

I have had a dog go thur this before. He was a beagle and had other health problems too. Its hard because it comes on quickly and you need ER vet care. I'm glad your Minnie is doing better.

Melissa

Gosh, you must have been so worried. Poor you and little Minnie. Glad to hear there has been an improvement overnight. Sending you our very best wishes and hugs.

Good work for moving quickly and looking after her -- fast action minimises the chance of this becoming even more serious though it sounds terrifying as is -- :( -- so you did just the right thing. :flwr: Hope she is home and happy again soon!

Thanks Nicki for that helpful thread -- and yes we see a fair amount of pancreatitis here on the board :( . It can come on after eating fatty food -- for example scraps from turkey/chicken/lamb/the roast -- that's why to never give the fat or fatty scraps and watch what extra hands at holiday time might pass to a dog! (holidays are a peak for emergency pancreatitis cases due to scraps from the big dinner and/or guests and often kids passing the dog extra food) but as Nicki says it could be chronic and something just tipped her over the edge.

Some dogs gets this kind of gastroenteritis on and off, some are very seriously affected and with others it seems to pass. My Lily is prone to mild bouts but can be managed without needing the vets. For others it is life threatening very quickly so is never something to ignore even when not nearly as awful as poor Minnie experienced -- though you sure had the horror of watching how fast a dog can decline. :yikes

Back