• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Information about pancreatitis

Nicki

Rod's site has good info about Pancreatitis http://cavalierhealth.org/pancreatitis.htm

The cells of the pancreas secrete the enzymes used for digestion, normally the pancreas is protected from premature activation of these digestive enzymes, which could result in digesting the pancreas itself. Pancreatitis occurs when the enzymes are activated while still in the pancreas, thereby causing death to its tissues. It is extremely painful.

Chronic pancreatitis is a continuous inflammation which can cause permanent damage to the tissues of the pancreas' tissues. This results in insufficient creation of enzymes, resulting in exocrine pancreatic insufficiency (EPI). [Easy to treat now with the addition of enzymes to each meal]

Chronic pancreatitis may result in diabetes mellitus

This is aimed at veterinary professionals, http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/diabetesindogs/images/e/ec/Diagnosing_treating_pancreatitis.pdf I have pulled out some relevant bits, and tried to make them easier to understand:

clinical signs of Pancreatitis
In dogs, the classic clinical signs of pancreatitis are:
• anorexia
• vomiting
• abdominal pain.
Other signs may
include:
• nausea
• drooling
• depression
• diarrhea
• fever.

Diagnosing pancreatitis can be difficult because these signs are often associated with other diseases.

Animals may develop pancreatitis from:
• high-fat and, possibly, lowprotein diets
• a genetic predisposition
• surgical interference secondary to hypovolemic, hypotensive, or ischemic insults to the pancreas
• trauma.

Drugs may possibly cause pancreatitis.

Treatment for acute pancreatitis
• Provide saline suport - IVs
• Provide plasma protein
• Administer analgesics for pain.
• Remove causal agent, if identified.
• Administer antiemetics if vomiting persists despite no food being taken.
• Administer antibiotics if there’s a potential for bacterial infection spreading.
• Insert feeding tube (in severe cases)

Chronic pancreatitis
• Prescribe a low-fat diet with adequate protein content.
• Find drug alternatives for animals taking drugs known to cause pancreatitis
• Regular blood tests

I don't like Hills ID diet [actually any of their foods :(] which is what they tend to put the dogs onto

I make up my own version of Hills ID - the recipe came from a booklet they produced some years ago which contained home made versions of their diets :D

Measurements are USA cup measures but I've added my conversions!

Recipe 1 Highly Digestible diet for Dogs - cottage cheese and egg are very easy to digest

1/2 cup farina cooked to make 2 cups {Semolina, Cream of Wheat} 80g
– bring 400ml of water to the boil in a large saucepan, sprinkle in the semolina stirring constantly. Cook for 5 to 6 minutes.
1 1/2 cups creamed cottage cheese 375g
1 large egg hard cooked {preferably free range}
2 tablespoons Brewers yeast – I use Engevita, produced by Marigold - from health food shops.
3 tablespoons sugar
1 tablespoon veg oil
1 teaspoon potassium chloride – available from E-bay
1 teaspoon dicalcium phosphate – available from E-bay.com
1 teaspoon calcium carbonate – available from E-bay

Cook semolina {according to directions on packet including any salt}. Cool. Add remaining ingredients to semolina and mix well. Yield 2 lbs approx. I gave this amount to Cruz {9.5kg dog} over two days.

**Add a balanced supplement which fulfils the canine MDR for all vitamins and trace minerals eg SA37** {or a more natural supplement such as The Missing Link.}

That's an interesting recipe to have Nicki thanks. We had the Hill's ID after Misty's HGE the other week. I'd normally never touch Hill's, but we can feed chicken, so felt a little stuck.

It will get added in with Ruperts recipes :D

Wow.....I had a dog died from this a few years ago. He was a beagle named Skylar. I used to work with a beagle rescue group and fostered many beagles only failed at one my slow little Skylar, man I loved that dog. One night was just restless and actually woke me up to go outside and even in the dark the mess........talked about a yucky BM! I was alarmed then I sat with him on the patio and he was even slower than normal he fell over. I woke my husband and told him I was running Skylar to the ER vet right up the street (thank the maker we live so close to a 24 hr ER vet) he was admitted and put on IV's and I was told he had pancreatitis it was serious. I left thinking he was a goner however at 6 am I called and they told me he was responding to the meds and they wanted me to move him to his regular vet (for the day-help keep the cost down for me) so I picked him up and took him to my regular vet. They agreed he had pancreatitis and continued the treatment. One more night at the ER vet and day at regular vet and he was coming home. On pain and other meds with instructions to change his diet (they put him on a RX diet) He got much better and was my normal happy slow little guy again. I paid off the vet bills which were a bunch but too bad my dog. Everything was good I babied him more. About 5 months later my husband and I were outside cooking in the grill. Skylar was never too far away from me so he was hanging around. I noticed he was just standing there and just like that he fell over. Oh gosh what is it now. My husband quickly picked him up and rushed to the ER vet again. Again he was admitted and checked in with you guessed it pancreatitis. This time I was worried but not scared outta my pants because we had just lived thur this. They got him settled and my husband came home so I could run up there to see him. We had a young toddler at the time. I go up and see him he's just as bad as last time but.....its a waiting game. I loved him up kissed him and told him I would see him in the morning. About ten minutes after I got home the ER vet called Skylar had died. I was beside myself. Still hurts to tell this story. I never did any research into what pancreatitis was. After reading some this I now understand why it killed my dog.

Anyway, just telling my story. I know some people who have gonna thur this and their dogs have no problems today. Interesting.

Melissa

Last edited:
Back