Thread: Eye Care

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Default Eye Care

Hi

Is there any daily/weekly eye care that I should do.? I think it was Nicki that posted one time about an eye
    bath carried out by possibly one of her Vets but I dont think I am brave enough to contemplate trying that .

The main reason for my question is that I am highly concerned when Lily and Rosie play fight as Lily tends
    to use her front legs more like a boxing kangaroo and swats Rosie around the face with her feet and so of
    course I am scared stiff that one time Rosie or Lily could get a scartched or damaged eye ball . If I break
    them up I feel a real meany as they are so enjoying themselves and I enjoy watching so long as it dont get
    real .
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I don't think there is much you can do about eyes being scratched from rough-housing, but I think it is a good idea to check the eyes fairly often.

Dry eye is one of the most common problems in this breed, and we apply artificial tears almost daily to the eyes of our older dogs, as a preventative in case they have developed dry eye between annual visits to the veterinary ophthalmologist.
    Rod Russell

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Hi
    I noticed something not right with Lily's right eye so went to our Vets at 3.00pm today and

We were with Mr Shepherd two
    minutes ,I explained what I thought I had seen he examined her with one of them
    eye things (sorry I don't know the name )then declared its "Canine Corneal
    dystrophy(also known as corneal lipidosis) - just fatty deposits might get a bit
    bigger in time but nothing to worry about she can see perfectly well through it"

So I learn something new again ,and he didn't charge a penny .

http://www.prismnet.com/~bcrider/cav...ealth_eye.html
    Brian M

Poppy the Tri, Daisy the Blen, Rosie the Ruby and Lily the B & T

Post Thanks / Like

Oh Brian, so glad it's nothing serious. Extra hugs for Lily tonight.
    Joyce - Proudly owned & loved by

BellaMia (Aug. 30, 2012) My Beautiful Ruby Milo (Jan. 20, 2014) My Handsome Tri
    Sydney (
    April 16, 2000~April 4, 2012) Always and Forever In My Heart

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Brian the fatty deposits are not uncommon but it was good to get her checked out just in case - eyes are just too precious to leave.

Honestly the eye bathing is not that scary at all! This is the original story:

When I saw the ophthalmologist a few years ago, he made my jaw drop! he asked me if I washed their eyes - oh yes I said, with a little sterile water and very gently...

"Oh no" he says, "the eyes are one of the least sterile parts of the body." He soaked a paper towel with warm water and opened Jack's eye with one hand, and flooded it with water. "That washes the eye out!!"

As their eye lids don't always close properly, they are very prone to gathering dust and dirt on the surface. He recommended washing them twice a day, just with warm water from the tap.

I fill a jug with warm water and sometimes 1ml of witch hazel which is soothing. I use a baby sponge rather than paper towel, {afterwards I soak it in boiling water for 10 mins to sterilise it.}

I then dry them off with a towel which they love.

It's very easy to do and such an important part of their daily routine.
    Last edited by Nicki; 11th April 2012 at 02:05 PM.
    Nicki and the Cavalier Clan Our photos www.scotlandimagery.com
    Supporting www.rupertsfund.com and www.cavaliermatters.org

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There is an article about corneal dystrophy at http://cavalierhealth.org/corneal.htm
    Rod Russell