• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Eye Care

Brian M

Hi

Is there any daily/weekly eye care that I should do.? I think it was Nicki that posted one time about an eye
bath carried out by possibly one of her Vets but I dont think I am brave enough to contemplate trying that .

The main reason for my question is that I am highly concerned when Lily and Rosie play fight as Lily tends
to use her front legs more like a boxing kangaroo and swats Rosie around the face with her feet and so of
course I am scared stiff that one time Rosie or Lily could get a scartched or damaged eye ball . If I break
them up I feel a real meany as they are so enjoying themselves and I enjoy watching so long as it dont get
real .

I don't think there is much you can do about eyes being scratched from rough-housing, but I think it is a good idea to check the eyes fairly often.

Dry eye is one of the most common problems in this breed, and we apply artificial tears almost daily to the eyes of our older dogs, as a preventative in case they have developed dry eye between annual visits to the veterinary ophthalmologist.

Hi
I noticed something not right with Lily's right eye so went to our Vets at 3.00pm today and

We were with Mr Shepherd two
minutes ,I explained what I thought I had seen he examined her with one of them
eye things (sorry I don't know the name )then declared its "Canine Corneal
dystrophy(also known as corneal lipidosis) - just fatty deposits might get a bit
bigger in time but nothing to worry about she can see perfectly well through it"

So I learn something new again ,and he didn't charge a penny .

http://www.prismnet.com/~bcrider/cavalier/health_eye.html

Brian the fatty deposits are not uncommon but it was good to get her checked out just in case - eyes are just too precious to leave.

Honestly the eye bathing is not that scary at all! This is the original story:

When I saw the ophthalmologist a few years ago, he made my jaw drop! he asked me if I washed their eyes - oh yes I said, with a little sterile water and very gently...

"Oh no" he says, "the eyes are one of the least sterile parts of the body." He soaked a paper towel with warm water and opened Jack's eye with one hand, and flooded it with water. "That washes the eye out!!"

As their eye lids don't always close properly, they are very prone to gathering dust and dirt on the surface. He recommended washing them twice a day, just with warm water from the tap.

I fill a jug with warm water and sometimes 1ml of witch hazel which is soothing. I use a baby sponge rather than paper towel, {afterwards I soak it in boiling water for 10 mins to sterilise it.}

I then dry them off with a towel which they love.

It's very easy to do and such an important part of their daily routine.

Last edited:
Back