• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

Pet Insurance in Australia

sparkles

Hello All,
I have been going over this issue for a year now and i just cant make a decision about pet insurance.
I am so confused with it all. I really need to get it sorted.

Does anyone in Australia have any advice on what pet insurance has been working well for them?

I'd love an insurer that covers 100% of vet bills. Covers future conditions for life of the dog eg: heart condition etc.

Any help or guidance would be greatly appreciated.

I am with PIA, haven't claimed anything yet...need to claim for desexing. I got the full cover it is about $40 per month I think.

I am with Bow Wow Meow and love them. Quick, great customer service and fulfill the claims easily. I was with Pet Plan for a while and they would never pay out a claim, always tried to make it "preexisting" to something silly and unrelated. Bow Wow Meow always pays out my claim straightforward unless there is a real preexisting condition :) So I would just not recommend Pet Plan here (they are great over in the UK from what I hear, but it's just different here.

We decided just to start a Jessie fund instead. I found that most of the insurers, apart from Medibank Private, all stem from the same provider which have the basic umbrella terms. None I found covered dental or as brooky's mum said, try to withhold claims on the basis that it's pre - existing. The few I contacted, won't cover hips or knees either. We thought it was better to just pop a lump sum into an account, and just add $100 per month to it, as a just in case fund, should we ever need to draw on it. If you read the disclosure statements, I think the fair majority only cover dogs up to 8 years of age, after that your not covered.

Thanks guys....its sooo hard to make a decision..cant believe how hard it is.....ill look into your ideas......i know with me i need insurance, then i know i have to pay it.
Just dont want to pick the wrong one.

I did a LOT of research into this (oh the amount of product disclosure statements I read!). What I found was that the majority of insurers cover the same things for accident and illness. Unfortunately I don't think there are any that cover 100% anymore, most do 75-80%. Having filled in a lot of online quotes, a cheap price for accident and illness cover for a Cav is $30-35, a reasonable price is $35-$45 and anything beyond $45 per month is too expensive. Getting the "full" cover in most cases is pointless because it tends to only cover $50-$100 of general care per year (vaccinations, checkups etc) on top of accident and illness cover. This, in most cases, is less than the difference per year between accident/illness and full cover.

I'm with Prosure (http://www.prosure.com.au) because that had a very good discount for multiple pets. I also found reading all the reviews of the different providers very useful (certainly helped me remove certain providers from my list when making a choice) http://www.productreview.com.au/c/pet-insurance.html.

hey all. Thank you for all your help. I ended up going with the guide dogs pet insurance. Covers 100% minus excess. Covers fairly well. Plus money gos towards training the dogs. See how it goes. Thanx again...what a hard decision......

Back