Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: overweight Cavalier on People website

Post Thanks / Like

I would say your 3 aren't over weight though which most other Cavs seem to be.

The last 2 adult dogs we met were as wide as they were tall!! :S lol

M&O x

Post Thanks / Like

Oh my goodness, that poor Jack! I meet a lot of overweight cavaliers as well, it is so easy for them to put on weight! I think obesity in cavaliers is right at the top with their other health concerns.
    It's a struggle to keep a cavalier fit and trim, they are natural-born couch potatoes (most, not all, I know mine are!) and love their food! It's so hard to say no to their sweet little faces too!
    Recently we went out of town and our Bobby and Belle had to stay at the in-laws for a few days. I gave specific instructions about the amount of food they should get in their bowls at breakfast and dinner and the in-laws were shocked! They couldn't believe that we give them so little! We give them treats thoughout the day though, we try for healthy ones like a piece of apple or a carrot stick, a bit of chicken or cheese. They are a good weight, but a little flabby. We walk every day, for about 30-40 minutes, sometimes twice a day during the summer and there are various episodes of playing and chasing, etc.
    Desrae, guardian of two tri-coloured cavaliers, Belle 3 years old and Bobby 1 year/8 months.

Post Thanks / Like

I know my friend that has Border terriers was shocked how little I give mine and i was shocked how much she gives hers. She gives double the amount then what i feed.
    Sabby
    Rosie-06/06 - Ebony-01/07 Harley-08/08
    " My sunshine doesn't come from the skies, it comes from the love in my dogs eyes "

Post Thanks / Like

Oh how sad I don't understand, I have had 9 cats through out my life, and two of them were a bit chubby but never unhealthy fat, just less active than the others (one was on low calorie food and had small portions ect.. ) Bentley my cav is a thinner cav but he is only 10 months, I am really conscientious about how much he eats and making sure he gets enough exercise, I am overweight due to an adrenal glad imbalance which stinks,(only recent too as I was always thin till the past 3 years or so) so Bents and I walk 3 miles a day, cant hurt either of us! I know some pets have thyroid issues that can be culprits, and some pets are less active, so it is hard, but 45 lbs for a cav is a little much. I wonder if he has a health problem causing it. (I know for me I worry people think I just eat like a pig and sit at the tv all day so I don't want to judge till I know.)

Post Thanks / Like

I learned in recent months that, barring special circumstances, it's not that hard to get the weight off a dog. I put Tess on a diet and she has dropped 2.5 pounds. I basically cut her food in half. She was a bit frantic at first, looking for food all the time. I filled in with green beans but stopped after a bit. She's adjusted well now to the smaller portion and the weight loss itself, and feels much better, moves around a lot more, seems quite chipper. The most important thing was to measure the food out each morning and give her treats and nibbles from that bowl. The vet is very happy with her weight now and so am I. I just had to learn to harden my heart to that little, beseeching face!