• If you're a past member of the board, but can't recall your password any more, you don't need to set up a new account (unless you wish to). As long as you recall your old login name, you can log in with that user name then select 'forgot password' and the board will email you at your registration email, to let you reset your password.

overweight Cavalier on People website

So very sad and unhealthy for the dog. I can't believe the owner knows the dog can't walk but has let it get this far. I wish People had used a different headline too. The current one seems to glorify overweight pets.

Someone posted a similar article in the dog and bone forum last week, about the same Cavalier.
I agree, so very sad for the poor boy, I think some owners probably aren't aware of the weight creeping up and most wouldn't probably see it
as a sign of neglect. My late grandmother, bless her, was one of those who was far too kind to her dogs over the years. She would place extra meals
down at night, just in case the dog felt peckish. So even the one extra meal per day, over months and then years, all adds up.

It's the theory of killing them with kindness I think.

At least the story is about they're going to lose the weight! all of those animals looked pretty sad.

I would estimate that around 80% of the pet Cavaliers I meet are overweight - not as bad as that poor chap, but no waistline and no 'give' in their skin. Every vet my two meet says 'How nice to see fit Cavaliers!' - yet it's not difficult to keep them a good weight. A bit of self-discipline about feeding them, and some exercise that is good for you as well as for them - and enjoying the park with your Cavaliers is one of the pleasures of life! Most of the problem is ignorance - thinking that a dog of any breed with a waistline is too thin; feeding the amount it says on the dog food packaging (they are after all in the business of selling as much dog food as possible!); thinking treats are a kindness; in the UK, if you are elderly and not able to walk far, not knowing of the existence of the Cinnamon Trust, which exists to help. A lot of people take their dogs to basic obedience classes - perhaps these should include sessions on looking after your dog and keeping it fit.

Kate, Oliver and Aled

I have had similar experiences as you Kate. I see very few Cavs that are a good weight. In fact I would say I have only met about 4-5 over the age of 2 that are not over weight and most of them were Sabby's!! Lol.

So many people have commented on how "thin" Oliver is when in fact he is perfect.
I meet a Lab cross at least twice a week and his owner thinks Oliver is too thin when in fact it is his dog that is too fat! lol.

It's really nice to have this group and get the affirmation that you are in fact not starving your dog! lol

M&O

So sad. I hope they all lose that weight soon and can be at their ideal weight ... happy & healthy.

At least he's with new owners and they are doing something about his weight problem. He could have died a slow painful death with his old owners. It wont be an easy road for him or his new owners, but hopefully he'll reach his ideal weigh :)

I have had similar experiences as you Kate. I see very few Cavs that are a good weight. In fact I would say I have only met about 4-5 over the age of 2 that are not over weight and most of them were Sabby's!! Lol.

So many people have commented on how "thin" Oliver is when in fact he is perfect.
I meet a Lab cross at least twice a week and his owner thinks Oliver is too thin when in fact it is his dog that is too fat! lol.

It's really nice to have this group and get the affirmation that you are in fact not starving your dog! lol

M&O

Hi Madaleine
Well I wouldn’t say mine are an ideal weight, Harley is slim he is very tall at just over 17 inch still weights 12.5 kilo but I can feel his ribs, he gets more than enough exercise. With Ebony the vet and the physio were in disagreement. Vet said she was overweight and physio said she was just fine mind you I think the vets scales were out as they said 14 kilos and at Clare Rusbridge she was 12 kilo. Rosie was overweight and since she has been on K9 raw she has lost weight. Even my groomer says that Rosie is all hair she never seen a Cavalier with so much hair. LOL. Some people would say mine are overweight but most people would base that on standard breed Cavaliers that are tiny, mine are more a Cocker size. You can see a nice waistline on all of mine.

Oliver is lovely he is just very tall like Harley.

I would say your 3 aren't over weight though which most other Cavs seem to be. :)

The last 2 adult dogs we met were as wide as they were tall!! :S lol

M&O x

Oh my goodness, that poor Jack! I meet a lot of overweight cavaliers as well, it is so easy for them to put on weight! I think obesity in cavaliers is right at the top with their other health concerns.
It's a struggle to keep a cavalier fit and trim, they are natural-born couch potatoes (most, not all, I know mine are!) and love their food! It's so hard to say no to their sweet little faces too!
Recently we went out of town and our Bobby and Belle had to stay at the in-laws for a few days. I gave specific instructions about the amount of food they should get in their bowls at breakfast and dinner and the in-laws were shocked! They couldn't believe that we give them so little! We give them treats thoughout the day though, we try for healthy ones like a piece of apple or a carrot stick, a bit of chicken or cheese. They are a good weight, but a little flabby. We walk every day, for about 30-40 minutes, sometimes twice a day during the summer and there are various episodes of playing and chasing, etc.

I know my friend that has Border terriers was shocked how little I give mine and i was shocked how much she gives hers. She gives double the amount then what i feed.

Oh how sad :( I don't understand, I have had 9 cats through out my life, and two of them were a bit chubby but never unhealthy fat, just less active than the others (one was on low calorie food and had small portions ect.. ) Bentley my cav is a thinner cav but he is only 10 months, I am really conscientious about how much he eats and making sure he gets enough exercise, I am overweight due to an adrenal glad imbalance which stinks,(only recent too as I was always thin till the past 3 years or so) so Bents and I walk 3 miles a day, cant hurt either of us! I know some pets have thyroid issues that can be culprits, and some pets are less active, so it is hard, but 45 lbs for a cav is a little much. I wonder if he has a health problem causing it. (I know for me I worry people think I just eat like a pig and sit at the tv all day so I don't want to judge till I know.)

I learned in recent months that, barring special circumstances, it's not that hard to get the weight off a dog. I put Tess on a diet and she has dropped 2.5 pounds. I basically cut her food in half. She was a bit frantic at first, looking for food all the time. I filled in with green beans but stopped after a bit. She's adjusted well now to the smaller portion and the weight loss itself, and feels much better, moves around a lot more, seems quite chipper. The most important thing was to measure the food out each morning and give her treats and nibbles from that bowl. The vet is very happy with her weight now and so am I. I just had to learn to harden my heart to that little, beseeching face! :)

Back