Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Puppy sleeping in the bed?

Post Thanks / Like

Default Puppy sleeping in the bed?

Hi all! So when I got my puppy everyone advised I have her sleep in the crate - which I did for the first few weeks I had her and she'd whine a bit at first but then settle down and sleep through the night fine. Lately I have been letting her sleep in the bed with me. I just want to snuggle her all the time! It's really more for me than it is for her...but I don't want to instill any bad behaviors in her. She's just such a good cuddle buddy. Why aren't we supposed to let our pups sleep with us? She'd have been allowed on the bed as an adult anyway...

(is it possible to love your puppy too much? )
    New mama to Lady - a charming ruby cavalier puppy. I love her more than chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Mine both sleep in my bed. Or rather, I sleep in their bed. I get tasked with turning the light off every night, which means they steal the good spots before I get in bed.

Post Thanks / Like

My Tess sleeps with my daughter every night. As long as your pup is house trained and not messing up your bed, and isn't getting loose and into trouble at night, I say go for it! I love having Tess sleep with me once in a while. Very comforting.

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

Our pup is nearly 8 months old, and he has been sleeping on the end of our bed lately. He'll sleep right through the night and we haven't had a problem with it.
    Last night, he slept in his own bed, which is still in our master bedroom with us, but while we slept, he decided to yank up huge chunks of our new
    carpet and ate into our new hardwood bed.

I growled at him this morning, but when he's up on the bed, we know where he is and he isn't getting into any mischief.

Post Thanks / Like

Ok this is great to hear!!!!! She knows not to pee/poo in the bed. She came crate/bed trained which was awesome, never had a problem with that. She also sleeps through the night (like a friggin ROCK). And I know what you mean about it being their bed!! Lol she is so small but she has the whole state of Texas and I'm stuck in teeny weeny Rhode Island when we sleep together!!!
    New mama to Lady - a charming ruby cavalier puppy. I love her more than chocolate.

Post Thanks / Like

Bella sleeps in her bed in the Bathroom, but whoever is up first in the morning takes her to the potty and then she has a cuddle with us. The only reason she doesn't sleep there through the night is because she is a BED HOG, and we have 2 cats that sleep where they wish. Sometimes if I am feeling particularly depressed or stressed about work I will take her to bed and cuddle her all night though.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

There isn't any rule against having dogs sleep in the bed -- lots of people have them there! But with puppies there's a risk of crushing them when they are small, and also you can find they do start to pee in the bed (I think most of us have probably had that happen at least once with at least one dog...). Dogs aren't really reliable til about age one -- and beds have really interesting human smells that they seem to like to pee/poop on just as they like to do with dog odours outside. I think it is better for puppies to be nearby either in a box or a crate at least for a few weeks and also, having them in a crate is the way you start to crate training, to my mind a very essential task as it makes so many aspects of having a dog much easier (NEVER in order to leave them in a crate all day while people are at work -- but for SHORT crating periods or at night when they sleep, for travel, for vet visits, safe car transport etc).

I used to have dogs in the room at night but it got to the point where it affected my sleep (I am a light sleeper) and they shifted around too much. I missed having them a bit (and it took a week for them to learn to sleep in crates, 2 by 2, in another room -- they were already crate trained and sleep in them when home boarding but hadn't at my place) but I could not believe the difference in how much more rested I was and I knew the arrangement was better for my household. One dog on the other hand was easier.
    Karlin
    Cavaliers: Jaspar Leo Lily Tansy Libby (foster) Mindy (foster)
    In memory: Lucy
    Cavalier SM Infosite:www.smcavaliers.com

Post Thanks / Like

Tails sleeps on our bed. We have strict rules though... no chewing, digging, bouncing, exploring or general monkeying around. If there is monkeying around then he goes in his basket

Post Thanks / Like

Bella likes to be under the covers.
    There is no psychiatrist in the world like a puppy licking your face.
    - Bern Williams

Post Thanks / Like
    Blog Entries

I allow my dogs to sleep on my bed but I actually never allow them under the covers because they shed dog hair everywhere. I also trained them to sleep at the foot of the bed.

Lucky sleeps on the bed part of the night but if I get up he goes to his bed.

I do find I sleep better though when they are not on the bed, so I totally understand why others don't let them sleep on the bed. I might do the same, but I work during the day so I figure it's important for them to sleep on the bed since they have more limited time with me.
    Lani
    (a.k.a. Lucky's & Sparky's mom!)